• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

45ACP Reloading

jtac

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2009
Natchitoches, La
I already reload for 308 and 223. I'm stepping into 45acp now and just wondering if anyone has some helpful hints on reloading pistol rounds. In particular 45acp. They will all be shot through a Glock 21. Thanks for input

Re: 45ACP Reloading

I just started reloading 40sw, loading pistol rounds is super easy, I use a RCBS Uniflow powder throw with a small drum, pistol powder meters great and consistent, take the barrel out of your 21 and use it make sure the rounds feed, I crimp with my seating die, but not so much you can see it, Berry plated bullets are cheap and easy to find

Dillon 550
Bullseye / 231 / Unique - @ 5.5 grains
LP primer (your choice)
200 grn LSWC
tumble empty cases
load primer tubes, powder hopper, bag of clean brass on right, box of LSWC on left

Not a lot more to it.

Pick up a reloading manual for OAL and charge weights.

ps - don't stress on shooting lead through a Glock - just wrap a copper pot scrubber around an old cleaning brush and dry brush out the barrel at least once every 1,000 rounds. I (and just about everyone in my club) have shot a lot of lead through Glocks.

Good luck

if you can reload rifle you can sure as hell reload pistol!
just drop in the powder, squish down the bullet and go...

Loading for the .45 is a snap. It is very forgiving and easy to handle but I don't have a Glock only 1911's.

Using carbide dies are the best for me and do not require lube.

The cases on my Dillon get flared (very slightly) to aid in bullet seating. And, I use a tapered crimp.

And, I have never trimmed .45 brass cases. I just reload and shoot them until I see a crack and discard those cases.

Bullseye, mixed cases, 200 gr. SWC and Winchester primers make some great range ammo.

First, go buy a Lee Factory Crimp die. Nothing else like it. Resizes the loaded cartridge, thereby increasing reliability. I'm not a fan of anything made by Lee, except the FCD. Second, get yourself a cartridge case gage. Using the barrel is just sloppy seconds compared to the real deal.

Don't even think of trying to squeeze more velocity out of it than book loads suggest.

The .1911 has a cutout at the bottom of the chamber which limits pressures considerably. Not sure, but I think the Glock can handle the +P pressures. All I ever had was very basic 1911A1's, well tuned, love 'em. If all I could have, etc....

Semiauto .45ACP's can be sensitive to bullet weight and pressures with regard to cycling reliability, and bullet nose shape can be tricker where feeding is concerned. Roundnose best, trashcan hollowpoint, not so much with a lot of guns. If you go with lighter weight bullets, you may also have to investigate more suitible recoil springs to ensure cycling reliability.

Soft lead can bring its own problems, both with leading in the bore, and with regard to pressures. And any loading issue that results in case diameter deviations can affect chambering. Factory crimp? I suppose...; I certainly wouldn't kick one out of the bed.

Stay with shotgun/pistol powders, Red Dot, Unique, Clays (<span style="font-style: italic">not International Clays</span>), etc., for better results. The .45ACP doesn't get it's best combat advantage from speed, and lesser velocities can produce surgical scalpel-like accuracy. I hated 700x, it kept leaving unburnt powder kernels all over the shooting bench and range floor. But it shot well.

Greg

The .45ACP doesn't get it's best combat advantage from speed, and lesser velocities can produce surgical scalpel-like accuracy.

so greg, what do tyou consider the low end of combat effective velocity from a 230 grain projectile?

Been a long time since I owned a handgun, and we seldom used chronos. We loaded for where the good cycling and accuracy curves crossed. So my answer is 'whatever that is'. Even if you're lobbin' 'em, if you know the gun and it shoots accurately, you're golden. I don't care what the velocity is, you won't find me standing out there I front of a .45ACP. That's why I liked 'em so.

It's my personal opinion that if a pistol round goes thru-and-thru, it's not delivering all its energy, and slower rounds can therfore deliver more energy than licketysplit ones. That's why I'm not a fan of other cartridges as much as the .45ACP.

For a carbine I like the .44Mag, but I'd also be shooting it out to distances where velocities and energies would be proportionally similar to a .45ACP at reasonable handgun distances (7-25yd, 50 at most for the handgun; 75-150yd for the carbine. Mostly I'm guessing this last part; but I don't think I'm too far off.).

I got my .45ACP training from an ANG .45ACP Rapid Fire Camp Perry Champion (Billy Miller, several years worth back in the day), and the USMC Pistol Teams down in Quantico (back in the mid-90's, when MSGT Parker was Head Honcho). SSGT Bethards (a Desert Storm M82 Sniper) was my personal coach. Billy was my best friend for years back before we lost him to a long bout with a cancer very similar to the type I beat wtice.

I was the NJ Marine Corps League Shooting Competitions Chairman back then, and had organized the week at Quantico with the teams, using Billy's contacts (He was Marine Recon in the Delta back before the big buildup in the early 60's). Thank goodness I live a much less interesting life these days; driving down from Newark to Trenton for the monthly Department of NJ MCL meetings once a month was a bummer. I wasn't the best of shooters with the handgun; I perennially missed Expert by one point, but the gun worked fine. Billy could shoot rings around me with my own 1911.

I can appreciate my views can be odd, and folks will occasionally call me out about them. I think it's just better all around when I show my credentials a bit at such times.

Greg

i use 6.5g unique 230fmj or hp in my glock 21, which has digested over 2000 reloads of this recipe and 3 other 45's i reload for including another glock 21, a springfield 1911 and a taurus millenium pro 745

Great advice in this thread on loading for 45ACP. I use carbide dies myself, and they're super easy to load with. I pretty much only load copper plated bullets because they're cheaper to buy and you don't get the lead build-up. I'd also pick up a cartridge case gauge, as someone earlier mentioned. They go for around $15 from Dillon and make it really easy to go through a bag of brass and find out which cases are still within spec. And the number one newbie mistake to avoid when reloading pistol? Don't trim the brass. Just throw the damn thing away and use the next case. Pistol brass is too cheap to waste your time on the trimming process.

Thanks for your input, lots of valuable info. I'm probably going to load all JHP for my 45. I've yet to put something in one of my Glocks either my 21 or 19 and it not run it, when I find something then I'll change. All I got left to acquire is a powder measure and I'll be in business

I load a 200gr hard cast LSWC over 4.5gr WST. It is very accurate through 4 1911s I have. I use it for competition, but have never chrono'd it. I have the same point of aim and poi at 25 yards and 50 yards which really helps.

Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I load a 200gr hard cast LSWC over 4.5gr WST. It is very accurate through 4 1911s I have. I use it for competition, but have never chrono'd it. I have the same point of aim and poi at 25 yards and 50 yards which really helps.

Jim</div></div>

What barrel length are they coming out of?

jtac I shoot government model 1911s. I have 2 SA targets, a Kimber Warrior and a Colt GCNM. All have 5" barrels.

This load was actually a starting load when my dad first came up with some WST. He loaded some to go try and I shot for group size since his eyes weren't good enough.
His SA Target, his Kimber and my SA Loaded Target all shot very small groups. The groups were so good that I never tried much experimenting.

Jim

Thanks for info pepperbelly. I just ordered a powder measure. Next $ I get I'll have all I need to reload. Any idea where I can get around 500-1000 45 brass? I should have about 1000 already but I guess that's hindsight. I used to not keep brass and that is when it was semi-cheap to shoot 45. Now I almost regret every box I run through.

Someone at almost every gun show has brass for sale. If there isn't a show near you let me know. I have a lot of brass. I haven't decided if I am going to sell or trade some of it, but if you can't find any locally we can work something out.

Jim

Honestly I live in La and there seems to be no gun shows anywhere around where I live. They had one in my city a couple years ago and never again. Someone probably acted a fool. It's sad but I haven't been to a gun show in probably 3 years.

I just starting reloading for my 45ACP (Springfield XD) not to long ago.

I use the RCBS Carbide die Set.
Hodgdon Titegroup Powder
Rainier 230gr. RN and 185 HP Bullets (cheap and accurate bullets)
Winchester and Remington Brass
CCI Primers

- I could get you my load data if you need it for those bullets.

All loaded on a RCBS Rock Chucker single Stage Press.

around where I live it is VERY HARD to find 45ACP Brass ..anywhere!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just starting reloading for my 45ACP (Springfield XD) not to long ago.

I use the RCBS Carbide die Set.
Hodgdon Titegroup Powder
Rainier 230gr. RN and 185 HP Bullets (cheap and accurate bullets)
Winchester and Remington Brass
CCI Primers

- I could get you my load data if you need it for those bullets.

All loaded on a RCBS Rock Chucker single Stage Press.

around where I live it is VERY HARD to find 45ACP Brass ..anywhere!</div></div>

Hey yea that sounds good. The Rainier looks like the best economical 45's I have seen. I have decided to go with tightgroup also. I'd like to see your info. You can pm me if it's easier

I also use 4.5gr WST with my 185 and 200gr loads. Rock River Arms (when they made 1911's) used this load for accuracy testing. When they told me what they used, I didnt look or try anything else. It burns real clean, and scarry accurate through my Rock River 45.

The one caution I'd offer to someone experienced in loading for a rifle who's just starting to load for a handgun is that it's possible to double-charge pistol cases. Ideally your press will be set up so that you can see into the case before the bullet is seated.

I use 4.5 grains of titegroup behind a 230 grain bullet with CCI primers. Dies are RCBS carbides. I have used this load in my G-21, my XD .45 and my Para 1911. All of them eat the load like candy.
Load safely and enjoy
Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't even think of trying to squeeze more velocity out of it than book loads suggest. </div></div>
doubleaction_patriot45.gif

In May 2000 I worked up well past 460 Rowland levels in a 20 pounce Patriot 45acp, that is not rated for +P. It kicked so bad I got a flinch. Then I made a 42 pound triple recoil spring assembly, and lost the flinch.

0) 45 acp................. 185 gr. 7.6 gr. AA#5 jams /stock Patriot spring
1) 45 acp..................185 gr. 10.2 gr. AA#5 1100 fps 18,000psi
2) 45 acp +P...............185 gr. 10.8 gr. AA#5 1200 fps 21,700 psi
3) 45 Super................185 gr. 12.4 gr. AA#5 1312 fps 28,000 cup
4) 460 Rowland............ 185 gr. 14.5 gr. AA#5 1500 fps 38,800 cup

1.jpg

In a .469" untaperred chamber, with an unturned .452" groove 28" barrel blank, 460 Rowland level loading, and a 40 power scope, 45 acp brass and a 230 gr. FMJ can be made to shoot a .7" 3 shot group at 100 yards.

5) Easy extraction ........185 gr. 15.0 gr. AA#5
6) Case starts to stretch..185 gr. 15.2 gr. AA#5
7) difficult extraction ...185 gr. 16.0 gr. AA#5
8) primer falls out .......185 gr. 16.5 gr. AA#5
9) accurate heavy bullet...230 gr. 13.0 gr. AA#5

5.1 PB and 200 gr SWC has served me well for many years. Case gauge will improve reliability considerably.

4 Grs. Clays with 200 LSWC for the 1911's and 200 Rnd Noses for the XD 45. The XD jammed on LSWC