• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

45acp too slow?

Jackalope33B

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2010
Sunny Florida
I just loaded up some 45 ACP rounds. Im Using Bullseye powder, Berrys 230 gr RN plated bullet, winchester large pistol primers. At 4.3gr of powder I was getting about 710fps. At 4.9gr of powder I was getting about 780fps. These rounds were fired out of a Sig P220. These bullets and loads are strictly for target practice. Should I just go with 4.9gr and call it a day or should I bump up the charge some? These rounds will be loaded on a Dillon 650. The chronograph was placed approximately 8 feet in front of me

Re: 45acp too slow?

in the 700s is a good target load speed for 45. Mine are a slight bit over 800 but I use A#5.

Your load is probably a very good load for practice.

Personally I moved away from Bullseye for most uses to find a cleaner burning powder. Easier cleaning and less real mess when cleaning. I'm using 6.0 grains of N-340 Vee too Voori (mis-pelled on purpose) behind Rainier 230 FMJ In all my 45s it gives me ball park of 880 fps to 910 fps. This is slightly hotter than USGI specs of 850 fps. This load doesn't show any high pressure signs in my pistols. I too use a Dillon XL-650 with everything on it.

Good luck in your choice.

I would say probably not. Remember you're shooting out of a 3.9" barrel while the 850fps spec was developed around the 1911 5" barrel. If you chrono some factory .45 acp I think you'll find you're darn close with that 4.9 gr load.

Got to ask, "Winchester Bullseye"? I'm pretty sure Bullseye is made by Alliant.

I've been using WST powder in my .45 loads for years. 4.5 -4.7 grains behind most any bullet. It's clean, economical and accurate.

V/R
Cliff

what are you saying "probably not" too? I should up the charge? Stay with what I have? Or what? Im not following what you were reffering to..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cliffb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say probably not. Remember you're shooting out of a 3.9" barrel while the 850fps spec was developed around the 1911 5" barrel. If you chrono some factory .45 acp I think you'll find you're darn close with that 4.9 gr load.

Got to ask, "Winchester Bullseye"? I'm pretty sure Bullseye is made by Alliant.

I've been using WST powder in my .45 loads for years. 4.5 -4.7 grains behind most any bullet. It's clean, economical and accurate.

V/R
Cliff </div></div>

Jackalope,

What kind of targets are you shooting? The 4.9gr load gives you a power factor of 179 by the USPSA formula of velocity x bullet weight divided by 1000. It is a safe cushion above the 165 PF for major in that game. Are you triong to mimic factory load and recoil?

For my personal use, I'd just run with the 4.9gr and call it good, unless I wanted a lighter load for some reason.

Paper, bowling pins and any other junk at the range lol.. Not trying to mimic any specific load. Recoil is not bad from a .45. Just fixing to load up a bunch of .45 rounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Modoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jackalope,

What kind of targets are you shooting? The 4.9gr load gives you a power factor of 179 by the USPSA formula of velocity x bullet weight divided by 1000. It is a safe cushion above the 165 PF for major in that game. Are you triong to mimic factory load and recoil?

For my personal use, I'd just run with the 4.9gr and call it good, unless I wanted a lighter load for some reason. </div></div>

From a bullseye pistol perspective, if your load reliably cycles your pistol it's not too slow.

I think cliff is answering "45acp too slow?" "probably not". He refers to the shorter barrel generating lower velocity. I haven't chronographed anything from my Glock 30 yet but would expect to be in the same neighborhood.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From a bullseye pistol perspective, if your load reliably cycles your pistol it's not too slow.

I think cliff is answering "45acp too slow?" "probably not". He refers to the shorter barrel generating lower velocity. I haven't chronographed anything from my Glock 30 yet but would expect to be in the same neighborhood. </div></div>

This is what I meant, sorry. I think your 4.9 grain Bullseye load is probably very close to a factory load. If you chronograph factory 230 grain ammo it will likely be about the same fps out of your 220.

Regards

I would stay where you are. You have to remember a few things when reloading for 'lead slinging' and not self defense or hunting. A few rules to reload by ...

#1 Always settle on the lowest charge that will cycle your slide, and get acceptable accuracy. Powder is saved, and you don't need a 'look at me' load when target shooting.

#2 When using lead plated bullets in 45 ACP you want to stay low on velocities. Too much crimp and high velocities are the #1 reason for poor accuracy with plated bullets. Jacket separation often results when the bullet is over crimped and/or velocities are too high.

#3 Powder is saved! Did I already say that? Well, I've made my point. For every cartridge you load at 4.3 gr. you save .6 grains over the 4.9 gr. loading. Not good at math tonight, but how many would you have to load to get a 'free one' with the saved powder?
smile.gif
See my point? I know it might not sound like much on the small scale, but after 100 loads ... how many would you save? Probably around 14 or 15! A couple of magazines full! See my logic?

I gotcha! Im going to stick with that I have. Not to hot and not to low. Already started loading them up on the Dillon! 40 rounds in 5 minutes! Im stoked!! First time using a progressive!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would stay where you are. You have to remember a few things when reloading for 'lead slinging' and not self defense or hunting. A few rules to reload by ...

#1 Always settle on the lowest charge that will cycle your slide, and get acceptable accuracy. Powder is saved, and you don't need a 'look at me' load when target shooting.

#2 When using lead plated bullets in 45 ACP you want to stay low on velocities. Too much crimp and high velocities are the #1 reason for poor accuracy with plated bullets. Jacket separation often results when the bullet is over crimped and/or velocities are too high.

#3 Powder is saved! Did I already say that? Well, I've made my point. For every cartridge you load at 4.3 gr. you save .6 grains over the 4.9 gr. loading. Not good at math tonight, but how many would you have to load to get a 'free one' with the saved powder?
smile.gif
See my point? I know it might not sound like much on the small scale, but after 100 loads ... how many would you save? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I gotcha! Im going to stick with that I have. Not to hot and not to low. Already started loading them up on the Dillon! 40 rounds in 5 minutes! Im stoked!! First time using a progressive!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would stay where you are. You have to remember a few things when reloading for 'lead slinging' and not self defense or hunting. A few rules to reload by ...

smile.gif
See my point? I know it might not sound like much on the small scale, but after 100 loads ... how many would you save? </div></div> </div></div>

The one piece of advice I can lend you on using a 650 is ... if you get hung up don't force anything, and freeze where you are. Look around and find the problem. That includes priming. You shouldn't have to force anything. Everything should be one fluid motion.

For reference: 5.2gr of Bullseye under a 230 gr JHP .45acp bullet fired from my P220 Carry clocks in just over 760 fps on average.