• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dsparil

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2006
Albrightsville, PA
question for those of you who are into hunting and familiar wih the .480 ruger. Is this caliber being phased out entirely? I mean what's the scoop? I may be moving to Colorado and was looking for a decent Bear gun. The .480 Ruger seems to be a lot of praise but looks like it's dying out.

Re: .480 Ruger

454 or 500 the popular choices. thus 480 guns probably unprofitable to produce.

Freedom Arms 454. More than twice as powerful than the 44mag. Good availability of factory ammo. Shoot the 45 long colt for less recoil. Freedom Arms is the best pistol you can get imo.

not phased out totally. Lost interest/ market when 500/460 etc came out. Also many really wanted it in a single action platform from ruger.. did not happen.

I currently own a Super redhawk with the 7.5 barrel in 480. This is my second one. First one got shot alot, barrel bobbed to 4 inches etc. This one sits in the safe, as I usually grab a semi custom 4 5/8 ruger superblackawk for all outdoors stuff.

Recoil is manageable, slightly more the 44mag, not as harsh as 454(have had 454 in same platform)
Brass is either hornady or starline, ammo is costly.

If I were to spend the money over again I would be looking at a 460 closely or a 475 line by freedom arms..
Good luck