• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

4th day at the range and what I learned

jhr1986

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2012
SLCish, UT
It's been too long since I got the the range last, I had to skip last week. I had looked around for some official smallbore targets but could not find any locally, looks like I'll have to order some. I'm continuing to learn how important consistency is - one thing I experimented with last time was shooting some groups really fast and noticed that if I fired, cycled the bolt and fired as quick as I was back on target my groups were smaller. I hypothesized that what was happening was that in my groups shrank because I didn't have time to change something in my position, whereas when I fired very slowly I would change my position ever so slightly (particularly the position of my eye behind the scope) which would throw the groups off. Obviously shooting fast isn't necessarily more accurate than slow fire, in fact I'm betting slow fire would be more accurate, but only when cheek weld, trigger pull, etc are *exactly* the same.

Today I made more of an effort to keep everything the same between shots and not move around in an attempt to get a better position. It definitely showed in some of the groups. Of course some of the groups are pretty crappy. The good news it that I think I am starting to be able to tell what a bad shot feels like. Also I found taking a break in between groups seems to help as well; previously I would shoot one 5 shot group and get back on target as soon as I had the mag reloaded. I know heat isn't much of an issue on a .22, but I noticed a significant difference between groups shot with and without a break between the last one. I need to spend some more time at home practicing getting a solid, repeatable cheek weld - that should help with shot to shot consistency.

Here are the groups from today:

Tgt1.jpg

Tgt2.jpg

Tgt3.jpg

Tgt4.jpg

As always comments are welcome - I need all the help I can get! I wish I could find some CMP events in my area, but there doesn't appear to be anything in Texas which I find odd. At this point I think having a coach watching me who can physically show me what I'm doing wrong would be a great help. Group average size today was .736" so at least there was a little improvement.

Re: 4th day at the range and what I learned

There are several CMP matches listed in Texas. Check with the guy listed as running the matches, they might have clinics prior to the matches.

http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/matchUpcomingSearch.cgi

I always have a clinic prior to the matches I run.

Don't discount the CMP Rimfire sporter clinics and matches, you can learn a lot from them.

Take a trip to Wyoming, I stress rapid fire with bolt guns in my clinics.

jhr1986
Two things come to mind:
Practice dry fire on a regular basis. This will help create a solid cheek weld, grip, trigger pull, and sight picture. If the only practice is at the range, it will take a long time to get solid, repeatable results.
While I understand what you mean about not moving while shooting a string, getting away from the gun and re-building your position for each shot will bring greater consistency faster. W/O a coach or partner, a video camera on a tripod can give you good feedback on your position

Kraig, I had looked at that page before but apparently I'm internet retarded. I see that there are some EIC rifle and Springfield/Garand matches here in Tx. I looked in the past for the rimfire sporter and clinic events around me but it doesn't look like there are any which is too bad because those were the ones I figured would be best at this time. I'm not shooting anything but rimfire right now, I'll build/buy a nice centerfire once I've got the fundamentals down, hopefully I can there next year.

I may in fact take a trip to Wyoming next year - I just graduated school and am hoping to work in Colorado so I would be much closer than I am currently. Wyoming would be nice as well but the FAA only has 1 small facility there so chances are slim.

mike, I've known that I should be doing more dry fire practice, but it's kind of a pain without any decent .22 snap caps available. Feeding spent casing into the chamber by hand while maneuvering around the scope is time consuming but I suppose I need to quit bitching about it and be happy my "problems" are so trivial.

Jhr: so it looks like you are shooting smallbore, not centerfire rifle? CMP is primarily about service rifle and pistol shooting, although they have been trying to expand the base with the "games" such as Garand, etc. The CMP rimfire matches are not commonly seen around here in TX. If you are shooting smallbore with a sling then I would suggest the monthly smallbore matches at Terrel rifle/pistol club If you shoot these matches, you will quickly see how critical consistency in your position is required to shoot well on paper.