• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 4x4 Side-by-side

Re: 4x4 Side-by-side

I went from big muddin' quads with all the bells and whistles rev box, over size radiators, elk suspension, snorkels to a teryx last year so the kids could ride with us more. 1 riding partner-neighbor- runs a rhino, 1 runs a can am commander. the guy with the commander also has a ranger for his wife.
Over the past year the ranger has spent more time at the shop than the other three combined. partly because of the work but mostly because of the way polaris avoid's doing service. i would never own a Polaris because of what i've seen first hand. the can am is a beast and nothing that we've seen yet can hold a candle on a stock machine. a stock rzr is not even close but has more aftermarket toys that can be added to bring it closer. right now can am just builds a better toy. but that is primarily what they and the rzr are, toys. limited storage would make them a second choice for a utility vehicle.

I think the mule, gator, kubota, john deere have to be considered as work vehicles first and play vehicles second due to their weight, lack of performance. they are perfect for what they are designed to do.....work.

That leaves the SUV's of the UTV's. of the Rhino and Teryx the rhino has more aftermarket goodies available but yamaha is long overdue for an updated motor. They are great vehicles but yamaha owes it's purchasers a revamped vehicle. They both run about the same,Teryx is a 75O versus the rhino's 66O. Ive had no problem with my terry and the neighbor has had no major issues with his rhino. in a straight race i beat him every time but that really isn't important. Ive never seen his with the bed loaded so i don't know what he can haul safely. i've put 5OO pounds in the back of the teryx when working the deer lease and don't think i'd want more back there. Last year he paid 1O,2OO for a camo rhino and i paid 1O,7OO for a camo teryx both new. Bought a removable bench seat for the back for taking the kids on easy trail rides. I don't think i've put 15 miles on the BF75O quad in the past year.

Rhino is 700 EFI now on the top end. But mine Rhino is a 660 and I will say I have never felt underpowered. I regularly pull a 1200 pound trailer behind it with a load on it.

Got and like the Mule. Have the diesel with seating for six, with a hightop. Not the quietest, but goes anywhere we need, on very crappy roads, up hills that are scary steep. Not fast, it is a work vehicle, not a toy, I've got a hot rod 4 wheeler for that. Stared out like this:
7196bc5b.jpg

Added these gun scabbards, shown below, and a top, not shown. In Texas, in the summer, you will need a top. rain in the winter, it is nice too. Also makes a nice shooting platform, I use it as a portable blind when hunting alone, just pull up in the brush, get up in the high seat and be still. Bipod on the roof, GTG.
c2807f93.jpg

Reliability is total. Not so for the Rhinos and Rangers - good rigs, but not as many years of experience as the Mule line, over twenty and counting. The gas version is quieter, the diesel has the torque for work. Used, a couple years old, should be 8000 bucks or so.

I know the gas mules dont start when it is cold Dot in mobridge had one. So i dont suppose the diesel would do much good at -10 when out on the lake leaving the shack. One thing the ranger and ac prowler have always started when cold and that is a big concern of mine as spending a night on lake oahe in january unplanned is not fun.

I've tested a few and the Ranger is definitely the one I like best. I'll be buying it next week! Excited as hell.

I was sold on it when I test drove it. I was running on some very rough, ill kept pavement initially, hit a couple of big bumps and didn't feel a damn thing. When I opened it up and it went places fast, I was hooked.

I'm getting the 800 XP EPS Browning Edition package with a winch, gun racks and cases, upgraded seats and wheels, and power steering.

This is gonna be fun.

I am digging that Mule set up M Booshay! I would be interested in learning about those rifle scabbards on the front of the cage.

eleaf, you will really appreciate the power steering.

My FIL has a couple of Mules on his farm and they've held up to everyday use for 3 or 4 years now. They aren't fast, but they are workhorses.

That said, he just picked up a John Deere Gator 825i and that thing is crazy! Powerful, comfortable, fast. He's only had it a few months but it is working out great so far.

I run a Teryx around and love it. Around the ranch we have 2 Rangers, 2 old worthless gators and the Teryx. My dad is thinking about a razr but havent bought one yet. I dont know that I prefer one over the other. I own the Teryx and I prefer the torque of the twin over a single piston Ranger.

Just a preferance, I dont really think there is one that is better then the other, just what brand you have luck with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I was sold on it when I test drove it.
</div></div>
... SEE I TOLD YA SO!!!

We had a 6 wheeled Polaris and a standard Rhino on our farm. They lasted about 3 months and both crapped the bed. Transmissions and cooling systems were shot. We sold them off for parts and went Kawasaki Diesel Mules. They are not the fastest thing in the world but they are fuel efficient, work horses, can haul or tow a lot, and go ANYWHERE.

We wrangle cattle with them, run feed out to them and the horses and also use it to carry a spare diesel tank to the tractors that are out working.

I am a huge kawasaki fan.....
14j3lls.jpg

It looks a bit different now. New cage, racing seats with 4 point harness, and custom grille guard. It will haul ass! It's an 840 Vtwin with a stage 3 race kit.

But will the mule start at -20 that is the major problem i have with the mule they just dont handle the cold.

When you are sitting on lake oahe where do you plug it in at? Thats what i was geting at i use it for ice fishing all the time and alot of days it sits on the ice in -0 weather and the mules would not even start if they sat for any time while we were surveying for the DOT when it was 10 or colder. They are fine warm weather machines just cant handle the rigors of working up where it gets a little chilly out.

I'm on my second Ranger, first one was a 1999 500 that never saw a day in the shop. Had a few problems with the battery, mostly because I did a lot of spraying with it which uses a 12 volt electric pump. Ended up using a small car battery and that solved the problem.

Traded the 500 off on a 2010 800 and so far haven't had a problem. It gets used all over the farm and for hunting. Runs 55 mph and is very smooth. This one has a two battery set up and has handled the sprayer no problem. Rides great even when the 50 gal. sprayer is full. Really like the EFI, starts right up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you are sitting on lake oahe where do you plug it in at? Thats what i was geting at i use it for ice fishing all the time and alot of days it sits on the ice in -0 weather and the mules would not even start if they sat for any time while we were surveying for the DOT when it was 10 or colder. They are fine warm weather machines just cant handle the rigors of working up where it gets a little chilly out. </div></div>

thats why EFI is where its @!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you are sitting on lake oahe where do you plug it in at? Thats what i was geting at i use it for ice fishing all the time and alot of days it sits on the ice in -0 weather and the mules would not even start if they sat for any time while we were surveying for the DOT when it was 10 or colder. They are fine warm weather machines just cant handle the rigors of working up where it gets a little chilly out. </div></div>

If your that committed to the fishing, by a small Honda Generator. They are almost noiseless and cost about $500.00

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Picked up my Polaris Ranger 800 HD Browning Edition yesterday. VERY nice machine. She hauls ass and is smooth over rough terrain.

Thanks for the tips! </div></div>

Wanna race?
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Picked up my Polaris Ranger 800 HD Browning Edition yesterday. VERY nice machine. She hauls ass and is smooth over rough terrain.

Thanks for the tips! </div></div>

Wanna race?
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Sure. I'll bring her out to the farm next time I go out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tucson, i've never driven the 900 rzr (yet), how fast you get that thing goin??? </div></div>

Almost 75mph

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tucson, i've never driven the 900 rzr (yet), how fast you get that thing goin??? </div></div>

Almost 75mph </div></div>

vroom vroom!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you are sitting on lake oahe where do you plug it in at? Thats what i was geting at i use it for ice fishing all the time and alot of days it sits on the ice in -0 weather and the mules would not even start if they sat for any time while we were surveying for the DOT when it was 10 or colder. They are fine warm weather machines just cant handle the rigors of working up where it gets a little chilly out. </div></div>

If your that committed to the fishing, by a small Honda Generator. They are almost noiseless and cost about $500.00

</div></div>

There is one at all 3 of our permanent shacks but when you are running and poping 100 holes a day last thing you want is a generator bouncing around. Im guessing you dont ice fish alot but if you ever want to chase walleyes on lake oahe i can show you what i am talking about. I only spent about 95 days between guiding and fun fishing this year. Now we are just laying 2x12 on shore to walk out to good ice. Now if they just made a huvercraft ranger i would be set up.

We have a 2008 Ranger XP. My brother my father and myself share it as we all live withing 1/4 mile from one another. It was been nothing but a problem. The first year it was great but since then we have put around 2000 into it. We had a problem for the last year that even the Polaris dealed could not diagnose and it was basically unused for all of last year. We had to replace just about every part that had to do with cooling including the head. If I had it to do over again I would never have picked the Polaris. Not to mention I have a friend with a RZR and its been quite the pain in the A for him too. Not as bad but his is broken quite often. Another friend owns a Rhino and it is bulletproof.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like my Side By Side more Sport than Utility. And yes KY I would like to race. LOL

2nrpz0p.jpg
</div></div>

Damn TD, what a garage. Im coming out to shoot and ride.. YEE HAAWWWW

be cafeful what you haul or pull with the ranger. they are famous for throwing belts. I'm a motorcycle mechanic and i can count on one hand how many rhino belts i had to install.Compared to almost one a week on the rangers. I am partial to Yamaha but i would pick a Terex over a Polaris product anyday