• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30cal user

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2008
SE, LA
Is there a 5.25 or 5.5" bbl 1911 pistol out there?

Just curious, after seeing a million xdm 5.25" advertisements

Re: 5.25" 1911?

generally speaking...

no

there are 3, 3.5, 4, 4.25, 5, and 6... IIRC someone made a 7"

there are some aftermarket threaded barrels in the 5.5 range though

An Open gun with a threaded bull barrel might count as a 5.5" 1911 in some technical sense.

The reason you're seeing the XD(m) 5.25 advertised is that they screwed the pooch by making it a 3.8" or 4.5". They should have offered a 4" and 5" (like they did with the XD) and are trying to make up for it.

When I got my M&P, I considered a Glock 34, XD 5", and the M&P Pro 5". At the time, you could get a brand new XD with four magazines for $420....it was a great deal. I should have bought both the XD and the M&P on account of only the price of the XD, but I ended up going with the M&P, and I'm confident I made the right choice.

The XD(m) was out from the beginning because of the 4.5" barrel. If the 5.25" XD(m) was offered then, I would have seriously considered it.

I still think the M&P has a lower bore axis, but the XD has a decent trigger, metal mags (just like the M&P) and interchangeable backstraps, so it's competitive.

STI has been making 5.5" 2011's, I'm sure they or another smith could put one of those slides on a single stack lower.

STI and Infinity both make 5.5" guns. The reason, inspite of what the masses say, is that you make a longer sight radius. This will allow for often faster sight acquisition and in turn better sight alignment in action shooting. On my 6" STI, it's much easier to track the sight in recoil and my accuracy has gone up. I'm going to have my gunsmith build me a 5.5" gun though because while we take a lot of weight out to where the 6" weighs the same as a 5", I just want a little shorter gun.

Rich

One reason I would like a little longer barrel is I would like to carry my Ed Brown 1911 while deer hunting in Wisconsin, should a 40 yard or so shot arrise. But according to the Wisonsin handgun rules the barrel must be longer then 5 inches. Anybody have a barrel stretcher?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Farmer 50 cal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One reason I would like a little longer barrel is I would like to carry my Ed Brown 1911 while deer hunting in Wisconsin, should a 40 yard or so shot arrise. But according to the Wisonsin handgun rules the barrel must be longer then 5 inches. Anybody have a barrel stretcher?</div></div>

You can just have a longer barrel fit to the gun. There's no such thing as a "drop in" that's worth a crap. Frankly, if looking for a longer barrel to carry, pick up a revo. I'm pretty anti-revolver, but do throw one in the bag when I'm going camping/hiking/hunting. Why? Goes bang every time.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Farmer 50 cal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One reason I would like a little longer barrel is I would like to carry my Ed Brown 1911 while deer hunting in Wisconsin, should a 40 yard or so shot arrise. But according to the Wisonsin handgun rules the barrel must be longer then 5 inches. Anybody have a barrel stretcher? </div></div>

Sounds like a good reason for an STI Perfect 10.