• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

5.45 x 39mm AR upper

Re: 5.45 x 39mm AR upper

Spike’s tactical also makes an excellent 5.45 upper. The spikes upper has a nickel boron bolt and melonite coated barrel to aid in corrosion resistance. This is certainly advantageous if you are shooting Russian mil surp corrosive ammo.

LWRC made a nice one. It was discontinued but still can be found if you look.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CAPTNAVAIR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Besides S&W who makes a good 5.45 x 39mm upper? Are the Model 1 uppers any good? </div></div>

The last time I checked, S&W looks like they discontinued this upper. Their website shows 6 uppers and not a one in 5.45. They may have gotten beat down on the warranty they were giving out on these. There's a few floating around still, but if you want one, you better buy it now.

Adams Arms also makes uppers for this and it is a piston model.

Hey, as an option, Spikes offers the barrel and coated bolt carrier group separately. I bought those parts and paired 'em up with a nice receiver of my choice. I put a Troy rail on it and it came out nice. Get a stainless mid-length gas tube and low-profile gas block, and you'll be set. Do research on mags-that's the hard part to source. Well, not hard to find, but it's hard to find the one's that work. Opinions differ on who makes the best mags, but you have to get mags that are 5.45 specific. Due to the tapered case, the case shoulder dives down and the rounds hang up in the mag. I tried modifying a non-windowed 5.56 Pmag, based on something I read on another forum-don't waste your time. The 5.45 mags' follower is raised up in front support the tapered case shoulder and keep it from diving while feeding.

I have yet to shoot mine, I had to run off OCONUS to go work, but when I get back, I'll order a few different makes of magazines and see which ones are worth a darn. Be careful shooting ballistic steel at danger close ranges. (Yeah, I know you shouldn't shoot steel closer than 100yds, but it happens) I hear from a few people that the Russian surplus stuff is kinda bad about having the penetrator separate from the jacket and come back at pretty high velocity. Nobody died, don't worry, but you might get some nasty flesh wounds to distract you from training, or ruin your day. Wear good eye-pro.

I hope your project comes out good. Let me know how it goes, I could use your feedback in my project.

5.45 x 39 ASC/C Products mags are good to go. I have 42 of them and all of them work flawlessly.

Video of 5.45 x 39 in full auto...
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TVHnmaNgd8A"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TVHnmaNgd8A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Awesome video. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll order some C Products mags AND another 2,160 rounds of Russkie ammo from AIM, today.