• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

5.45x39 any thoughts

samcolt

Private
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2010
North Carolina
looking to get a secondary rifle for gp. Any thoughts on this caliber and weapons platforms. I am asking to make the decision between another AR or this.

Re: 5.45x39 any thoughts

Well, I don't think you will get anything out of the 5.45mm that you can't get out of the 5.56 or .223 personally. The ammo, buying in bulk, is just a tad cheaper than the American stuff, but not by so much that it is worth ordering away for. My personal opinion here of course. One advantage with the American caliber is that you can do your own reloads reletively easy compaired to the Russian round. Also, the AR platform is way more easy to accessorize than an AK platform.

I found one in an ar platform and was curious I am not familiar with the caliber and saw the ammo relatively cheap. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MPB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I don't think you will get anything out of the 5.45mm that you can't get out of the 5.56 or .223 personally. The ammo, buying in bulk, is just a tad cheaper than the American stuff, but not by so much that it is worth ordering away for. My personal opinion here of course. One advantage with the American caliber is that you can do your own reloads reletively easy compaired to the Russian round. Also, the AR platform is way more easy to accessorize than an AK platform. </div></div>

Tad cheaper? I can still get a 1080 case for $130 - compared to about $200 for the cheapest steel cased 5.56. Shoot more than several cases and the savings add up quick.

Rifle wise i have a Kreb's KTR-09 and SGL31-84. Lots of way to customize both as much or as little you want.

5.45x39? It's cheap, it goes bang reliably if you can hit the primer hard enough, but it does require more maintenance to beat corrosion unless your stuff is set up for it. Magazines for the AR variants (only rifle/upper I'm sure that you can still readily find is the S&W one, CProducts was making the mags, but their status under new owners is questionable) are still out there if you look hard enough, and AK74 import magazines can be gotten through various vendors, in some cases for as little as $10 a pop. I think Promag and Tapco are now making what may be crappish AK74 magazines. Probably the only downside to the caliber is that it's only available cheaply through big lot shops, and then only as cases, so expect to transport what you might need in 1,080 round lots unless you've opened the can already. AKs themselves in the caliber run from cruddy to spectacular, so know exactly who put your rifle back together after its parts passed through Customs; some of the shops do incredible work, and some of them are piss-poor.

And here's a thought: try using search, because this topic came up only about a week ago.

Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

I am a big advocate of the 5.45 round and have been for years. Though I recomend going with the AK-74 if you want to shoot it. The AR variants (S&W and Spikes) seem to work well enough but the mags are rather pricey and rare (and Cproducts got knocked out of buisness by some d-bags with lawiers)

With wolf primers, bulk bullets and pickup brass I can reload 5.56 for about 17.5 cents a round. Which is good but still can't touch 5.45 right now. Still that price won't last forever and it is an oddball cartridge so if you want to shoot it you better start stacking up a pile of it now.

The real question is...how much do you like cleaning? All the cheap 5.45 is the corrosive military stuff. Once you start looking at new manufacture, the costs start to even out. That being said, I do love AK's.

Corrosive ammo is nothing more than salt, not some sort of space acid that will melt your rifle. Do you need to clean it after use...yes. Will it start to dissolve in your hands when you get to your third magazine...NO!

Its like a tale gun guys tell their children to make them be good. "Eat all your vegetables or the corrosive ammo will get you"

As long as you are shooting you will be fine. On a weekend where I shoot Friday-Sunday I will clean Monday when I get home from work. Thus far no issues and BTW Windex dosnt do anything aside from dilute with water so just use water its cheaper.

If you want to minimize potential issues use Ballistol or even the aerosol CLP(BreakFree). Spray it down after use and it can set for a week maybe longer. It should go without saying that you get a rifle with a chrome lined barrel.

Sorry for the rant but too many people complain about corrosive ammo. Its really not a big issue.

On second thought cheap ammo is getting harder to find...Yes absolutly avoid corrosive ammo its bad yucky stuff.

A good friend talked me into an AK74 abour four years ago. I picked up several cases of 5.45 non corosive ammo for a great price (I think I paid about $100 per 1080 case). It's been a blast. I manage about 4 inch groups at one hundred yards with open sights and it has never misfired. I picked up plastic Bulgarian magazines and they work flawlessly.

I'd find someone who knows their AK variants to consult before buying. Much of what is available now is build from inferior parts kits. Good Kits/builds will run $500 to 600.

I really enjoy the simplicity of the AK and low cost rounds. There is virtually no recoil. With the bulky AK74 muzzle break it shoots like a .22 mag. They tend to be very light weight and very handy to carry.

Stay away from corrosive ammo and your rifle will shoot for years with occasional cleaning.

I just ordered my first AK74 (interarms polish tantal from atlantic), and I can't wait to take it out to the range.

While ballistic gel testing does not guarantee real like wound replication, it is interesting to consider as 5.45 appears to do more damage then m855.

With ammo as cheap as 280 shipped for 2160 rounds... you really can not beat this weapon system.

I'm a big fan of the 5.45.....an even bigger fan of the Kalashnikov. So I too recommend you give an AK74 a try.
Another note-Just because the Avtomat Kalashnikov wasn't invented in the US, doesn't make it inferior! Don't assume you have to stay with the AR platform to have a serviceable weapon system.

My only complaint would be generally dissapointing accuracy in the short Krink weapons, compared to my 7.62X39 M-92 SBR. I know accurate SBRs are out there, I just haven't had the pleasure of shooting one that was capable of superior accuracy. The 7.62 Krink would cut group size in half, even rapid fire. It really isn't that big of a deal, but I know which one I'd want for a 100+ yard target.
Most of the AK-74 rifles I have fired have been much better, outstanding even. And the 5.56 AKs didn't show any more precision with M193 or M855 ammo. Match ammo showed better performance, but not really worth the cost, greatly diminishing returns actually.
Unless you are allergic to soap and water, the 5.45 is a heck of a deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5.45x39? It's cheap, it goes bang reliably if you can hit the primer hard enough, but it does require more maintenance to beat corrosion unless your stuff is set up for it. Magazines for the AR variants (only rifle/upper I'm sure that you can still readily find is the S&W one, CProducts was making the mags, but their status under new owners is questionable) are still out there if you look hard enough, and AK74 import magazines can be gotten through various vendors, in some cases for as little as $10 a pop. I think Promag and Tapco are now making what may be crappish AK74 magazines. Probably the only downside to the caliber is that it's only available cheaply through big lot shops, and then only as cases, so expect to transport what you might need in 1,080 round lots unless you've opened the can already. AKs themselves in the caliber run from cruddy to spectacular, so know exactly who put your rifle back together after its parts passed through Customs; some of the shops do incredible work, and some of them are piss-poor.

And here's a thought: try using search, because this topic came up only about a week ago. </div></div>

I've seen some hint-hint posting that US Palm may be making a AK74 Mag. When?? Who knows. Their 7.62x39 mags are very good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5.45x39? It's cheap, it goes bang reliably if you can hit the primer hard enough, but it does require more maintenance to beat corrosion unless your stuff is set up for it. Magazines for the AR variants (only rifle/upper I'm sure that you can still readily find is the S&W one, CProducts was making the mags, but their status under new owners is questionable) are still out there if you look hard enough, and AK74 import magazines can be gotten through various vendors, in some cases for as little as $10 a pop. I think Promag and Tapco are now making what may be crappish AK74 magazines. Probably the only downside to the caliber is that it's only available cheaply through big lot shops, and then only as cases, so expect to transport what you might need in 1,080 round lots unless you've opened the can already. AKs themselves in the caliber run from cruddy to spectacular, so know exactly who put your rifle back together after its parts passed through Customs; some of the shops do incredible work, and some of them are piss-poor.

And here's a thought: try using search, because this topic came up only about a week ago. </div></div>

I've seen some hint-hint posting that US Palm may be making a AK74 Mag. When?? Who knows. Their 7.62x39 mags are very good. </div></div>

Their 7.62x39mm mags are overpriced IMO and prone to failure. DOn't get me wrong they are a huge step up from Tapco. However, multiple mags have lost their bottom section (glue holds them on and had a bad run of the glue not holding). To US Palm's credit they stand behind their product and will replace anything. However, I did not like their initial push to sell these mags they claimed them to be fully steel reinforced. The only steel in the entire mags is a very small band that wraps around both locking lugs. I have also seen that steel band bend at the locking lugs making the mags unusable.

If you want a polymer 7.62x39mm mag, the best bet is still the Bulgarian Circle 10 waffle mags.

do not expect major accuracy out of it. I have had a AK74 for years and love it. it is my favorite AK. I also have a couple custom S.S. lothar walther 5.45 barrels I got through Alexander arms back when they did the Genghis uppers. everyone looked at me funny for doing those at that time, think that was back in 02. I converted one of them over to gas piston a couple years ago.

I stocked up on corrosive 5.45 at 9.9 cents a round delivered a few years ago. Love shooting it in ak platform. I have a 5.45 m16 upper but haven't gotten it to feed 100%. Blame lies on the shitty CProducts magazines.

AK-74, why not? I have In-Range AK-74 with Ultimak rail, T1 Aimpoint. Great rifle, low recoil, good accuracy with Russian surplus ammo. Surplus composite Magazines are indestructible. Packs well, if you get the folding stock. Ammo is $130 for 1080 round, makes practices painless. An In-Range rifle will cost the same as a decent AR. You can always save a couple hundred with Arsenal. Have one of their AK-47s, nicely made. My 3rd AK is one of the more common AKs in the $400 range. It works, finicky about what magazines it will take, and accuracy is the “combat accuracy” that people write about. An AK is an accurate weapon if it is made correctly. Spend at least the amount of money that you have on your long range optic and get an Arsenal, Rifle Dynamics or In-Range. You will not be sorry. Remember, you are asking about a backup rifle, would you really want questionable rifle to fill that role?

I have both AK74 and S&W AR15 platforms. The ammo is very cheap. I have used the AR15 much more than the AK with over 7K rounds down range. The C Product mags are 95% reliable and I have yet to see any excessive wear and tear on the AR when comparing it to a 223/556.

My primary use of the AR in 5.45 is for training less than 75 yards. Those high round count drills at close distances call for the 5.45 and it has been saving me some serious cash. Though at 100 and beyond I have seen some serious accuracy issues but I am running Wolf 60gr and Russian surplus 53gr so who knows if there is something better on the market.

Concerning the C-Product mag issues. I actually welcome the small problems. For training they are infrequent enough to give me some good transition practice and malfunction clearing practice and not frequent enough to make me doubt my weapon systems abilities.