• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5.45x39 Sniper Rifle

SSG82

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2011
I'm trying to gather some information on a particular rifle- the SSG 82. If you are new to this rifle I urge you to check out the site on my signature, its got lots of good info. I'm mainly wanting to know if anyone knows when it was imported and others people experiences with the rifle (if you could post your experiences on the site itself as well that would be great). Thanks!

P.S. This post was already cleared through lowlight so please don't lock it.

Re: 5.45x39 Sniper Rifle

what is the actual caliber of this rifle? Do you reload for this? Could you post your reloading data? Thanks!

What do you mean by "actual caliber"? Are we talking groove diameter? Bore diameter? I don't reload for it *yet* but I have a friend who has done some reloading for it and I can get the info from him. I believe he used resized .222 Rem cases and swaged down .224 Sierra Matchkings, but I'll get the particulars when I can.

I know of no one that reloads this caliber, and most would consider using bulk steel cased spam can ammo

However, the rifle itself suffers from remington syndrome (shitty extractor). If you could buy *any* replacement extractor, then i'd be considering.

I was wondering if the .223 caliber SMK's could be reloaded for this, but apparently not. I figured that some lapua brass (220 Russian, 7.62x39, or 6.5 Grendel) could be resized to replace the steel brass. Just some thoughts.

Yes steel cases would not be a bad idea seeing as how you could get them so cheap. 222 Rem really isn't the best as the rim size isn't ideal. I have not had any problems with my extractor but I know a lot of other people have. I found a guy on AK Files that made up some one piece rails to go in original dovetails as well as some good extractors on a CNC machine and I have been trying to contact him to hopefully make a source of reliable extractors available to the enthusiasts out there.

I seem to recall a number of them were imported in the early 1990's after the fall of the Berlin wall. I know I would see them for sale in Shotgun News for relatively cheap back then.
There really was not much available at that time for ammo, I think maybe RWS or Geco may have had some but it was expensive. If I remember correctly the rifles came with the East German Zeiss Jena scope that was BDC calibrated for 5.45x39, prices were under $1K and I don't think they were quick sellers.

I remember when these were being brought in.The story at the time was its what was used along the Berlin wall as a sentry rifle.I think CDNN had them at the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilshire1412</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I seem to recall a number of them were imported in the early 1990's after the fall of the Berlin wall. I know I would see them for sale in Shotgun News for relatively cheap back then.
There really was not much available at that time for ammo, I think maybe RWS or Geco may have had some but it was expensive. If I remember correctly the rifles came with the East German Zeiss Jena scope that was BDC calibrated for 5.45x39, prices were under $1K and I don't think they were quick sellers. </div></div>

Not much sense in getting an "accurate" rifle if you can't get accurate ammunition or even components.....

When you swage a .224" bullet down to .219" that cannot be good for bullet concentricity.

hi every one,
im new here and i was looking for a custom built 338 i was going to go with van dyke but seems they keep your money and never return ur call, can any one here refer me to a link here on who does killer work in calif or other state but dont mind dealing with anyone who has a good rep.
thanks a lot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MICKIN310</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hi every one,
im new here and i was looking for a custom built 338 i was going to go with van dyke but seems they keep your money and never return ur call, can any one here refer me to a link here on who does killer work in calif or other state but dont mind dealing with anyone who has a good rep.
thanks a lot. </div></div>

first off, DO NOT jack other people's threads...

second... read more, type less

that is all, carry on

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MICKIN310</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hi every one,

This is off topic on this thread. But if you search for rifle builders on here you will find many. Please take your time and read through stickies on forums such as "bolt rifles" before posting questions. Just sift through some threads and you will see tons of reviews.

Mak Tilton at MT Guns makes extremely accurate rifles. His communication during my build was excellent.
http://www.mtguns.com/
Telephone: 805 720-7720

Operations Center - Shipping & Mailing Address
122 Powers Ave.
Santa Barbara, CA 93103

Enjoy
Picture3978-1.jpg

Wow nice rifle! What are the holes in the stock for? I'm assuming that you put the black on the stripling? How does it shoot?

I have one of these as well. Original purchase price was $600 with two 50-round boxes of RWS "match grade" ammo.

The first one I received had a broken striker and lacked the Steyr type external barrel forge marks. I returned it, and am very pleased with the second rifle they shipped.

The brass cased RWS ammo had a nasty habit of sticking in the chamber, so I went to cheap, steel cased service ammo. I'd like to see a sample of the new Hornady 5.45x39. Don't know if it's any real upgrade over the com-block ammo but would like to experiment.

Can't say I really know how well mine shoots. After finding that I couldn't readily reload for it, I put it in the back of the safe and moved on to other amusements. I thought it an interesting piece of Cold War history, and should run it out to the range someday soon to see how it performs.

Cheers... Jim

SSG82

The black is from the single point burn stippling that I did. It took about 8 hours to do the mod, but it was worth it.
I also put a full length rail in as well. I bedded the action also.
The black dots are flush cups (4).

As far as accuracy goes, the more that you shoot it the better it got.
Meaning that if you didn't clean it for about 200 rounds, I was able to get
1 inch groups ( at best) at 200 yards (3 to 5 shot groups). But when you had to clean the barrel again because the groups started to open up, you started all over again with 2 to 3 inch groups at 200. It took about 30 to 50 rounds of fouling to get it to settle down again.

Note: I would go through each box of ammo and hand select the rounds by
runout. weight and over all length.

Its a nice little rifle and it is cheap to shoot.

Thank you

Now, why did you do that to me??? I was just fine not knowing about the SSG82, now I just spent a half hour trying to find one available, with no luck.

hrmph.

They occasionally appear on gun auction sites. I have wanted one for a while, but cannot bring myself to spend over a grand on something I cannot reload.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Just Jim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have one of these as well. Original purchase price was $600 with two 50-round boxes of RWS "match grade" ammo.

The first one I received had a broken striker and lacked the Steyr type external barrel forge marks. I returned it, and am very pleased with the second rifle they shipped.

The brass cased RWS ammo had a nasty habit of sticking in the chamber, so I went to cheap, steel cased service ammo. I'd like to see a sample of the new Hornady 5.45x39. Don't know if it's any real upgrade over the com-block ammo but would like to experiment.

Can't say I really know how well mine shoots. After finding that I couldn't readily reload for it, I put it in the back of the safe and moved on to other amusements. I thought it an interesting piece of Cold War history, and should run it out to the range someday soon to see how it performs.

Cheers... Jim </div></div>

The Hornady VMax 60gr 5.45 works well through my AK74 SU sort of difficult to tell a variance in accuracy vs. your bolt rifle. It'd be worth a try IMO.

MP5- I really like the way yours looks and it looks like you did an awesome job. I want to put a bipod on mine but with such a low serial number (002X) I'm worried about messing with the value.

Just Jim- You likely had a early model like mine (no barrel marks) and I had to replace my firing pin as well. However I haven't had any of the other problems people talk about like poor accuracy and cases sticking. The RWS ammo you had was brass cased? Mine are lacquered steel. I want to try the new Hornady stuff too. I will post a review of it on the site when I do so and I'll let you all know how it goes.

Insectguy- Sorry about that! I was hooked the first time I saw one too, it is a very interesting piece of cold war/ firearms history.

I knmew of a few fellow shooters that bought these rifles a while back when they flooded the market and they all shot around 2-3 MOA. I'm sure that was mostly due to crap ammo but my understanding was that the shots taken with these rifles was intended to be much less than 100 yards, so the 2-3 moa was acceptable.

Well, these are hen's teeth now. I found that Douglas is making barrels specifically for the 5.45x39 projectiles. CZ in making the 527 action with mauser type extractor and bolt face for the 7.62x39/5.45x39 so my long term plan is the rebarrel and see what I can do. It's gonna be more expensive than I wanted, but it beats the heck out of spending $2,800!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, these are hen's teeth now. I found that Douglas is making barrels specifically for the 5.45x39 projectiles. CZ in making the 527 action with mauser type extractor and bolt face for the 7.62x39/5.45x329 so my long term plan is the rebarrel and see what I can do. It's gonna be more expensive than I wanted, but it beats the heck out of spending $2,800! </div></div>

Wont work. The 5.45x39 cartridge has a rim diameter of .394, and the 7.62x39 has a rim diameter of .447

However, 9mm luger has a rim diameter of .392, sooooo a little modification could be made to run 5.45x39 in a 9mm upper, or 9mm bolt gun.

Alderleet, thanks for the heads up. Looks like I'm screwed on getting a bolt gun in this caliber.
frown.gif

Very cool rifle, if I come across one I would consider buying it just to have something different.

Well, so much for that idea. Anyone know how to turn a .223 bolt action rifle (.378 ±? bolt face) into a 5.45x39 bolt action rifle (.394 ±? bolt face)?

Quite easily. Just put it on a lathe and turn it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG82</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quite easily. Just put it on a lathe and turn it. </div></div>
and what about the extractor?

Well the extractor has to be removed before hand and very small modifications may have to be made afterwards. A change that small should not effect its function very much.

Have one and love it. It shoots barnaul full metal jacket 3.85g(60gr)bullets at 850m/s what that is in fps I have no idea. But I do Know its 1 moa or better gun at 100ys. Only problem is the scopes heavy post retacel blocks a lot when shooting small groups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: killer-e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have one and love it. It shoots barnaul full metal jacket 3.85g(60gr)bullets at 850m/s what that is in fps I have no idea. But I do Know its 1 moa or better gun at 100ys. Only problem is the scopes heavy post retacel blocks a lot when shooting small groups. </div></div>
What is the barrel twist on your rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG82</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quite easily. Just put it on a lathe and turn it. </div></div>
and what about the extractor? </div></div>

The easy option would be to start with a rifle that has a Sako or M16 style extractor on the bolt, then "simply" tune the extractor to work with the new slightly larger rim diameter and thickness (the 5.45 should have a .010" thicker rim)

The twist for the rifle is 1 in 8. So you would think 70 gr would work well.

I've heard the 70 grain bullets really shine but what is a source of this ammo? I've found the 50 grain and 60 grain ammo, but not the 70 grain. A little help?

Wolf sells 70 gr FMJs but I haven't tested them yet. I'm planning on trying a bunch of ammo in the gun but I want to find a place that has many different loads for sale so I don't get screwed on shipping.

Shoot gun news had a big artical on them. It was an anniversary issue in the late 90's i think.I have it some where may take a day or two to find it. I,ll post all info I can find about where and when it was imported.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, so much for that idea. Anyone know how to turn a .223 bolt action rifle (.378 ±? bolt face) into a 5.45x39 bolt action rifle (.394 ±? bolt face)? </div></div>

On a pushfeed action, a Sako extractor would take care of this. In a mini-Mauser, might not have to do anything or at most just touch up the claw.

To play devil's advocate; Proper barrels are not readily available, proper bullets even harder to come by, reloadable cases are not plentiful. So the question is:

What does a bolt action rifle in 5.45x39mm give you that a 5.56x45mm does not?

Not trying to discourage you in any way, just asking.

THANKS! I have been looking for info on one of these for a while now. I had the chance to buy one for $650 a couple years ago, but it had the dreaded broken extractor and I was nervous about the reports that they don't shoot well (yeah probably due to the ammo but hey...)

$650 would have been a steal! The extractors do not seem as though they would be too terribly hard to make.

Oh yeah by the way you don't have to fill out the personal info crap when you want to post a comment on the "your experiences" page. If some of you great guys that own one wouldn't mind posting your thoughts on the site it would be greatly appreciated!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've heard the 70 grain bullets really shine but what is a source of this ammo? I've found the 50 grain and 60 grain ammo, but not the 70 grain. A little help? </div></div>

Only 70 gr 5.45 I'm aware of is Wolf Mil Classic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, so much for that idea. Anyone know how to turn a .223 bolt action rifle (.378 ±? bolt face) into a 5.45x39 bolt action rifle (.394 ±? bolt face)? </div></div>

On a pushfeed action, a Sako extractor would take care of this. In a mini-Mauser, might not have to do anything or at most just touch up the claw.

To play devil's advocate; Proper barrels are not readily available, proper bullets even harder to come by, reloadable cases are not plentiful. So the question is:

What does a bolt action rifle in 5.45x39mm give you that a 5.56x45mm does not?

Not trying to discourage you in any way, just asking.</div></div>

The cool factor is all. We all know having a .223 rem is a much better round but the 5.45X39 is just cool. That is all. Oh I forgot it is something that most others do not have. Kind of like doing a AI build instead of a standard cal.