• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

5.56/.223 Brass ?

Insayn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2008
DFW, Texas
I have about 12 gallons of 5.56/.223 brass. I started to sort through it all and found it to consist of:
60% Winchester/WCC
20% Federal/FCC
20% Lake City/LC 05-07

To me, it appears the Federal and Lake City brass is somewhat thicker. Is one manufacture's brass better for reloading than the other?

Re: 5.56/.223 Brass ?

The Federal in my experience will have a lot of loose primer pockets. I have seen primers fall out of Fed during matches and lock the trigger group up on an AR.

The Winchester brass is actually thicker than the LC brass, believe it or not. The Winchester is excellent for reloading and I use it a lot. In my AR, I easiy get 5 loads out of it and still counting.

The LC brass is also excellent brass but will need a little more preparation for the primer pocket. You may also want to double check the length depending on which weapon it was fired from.

I have no experience with Federal in .223, in .308 it has not given me any issues.

Winchester is good stuff and so is the LC. I try to steer clear of Federa as I have had issues with it in the past. If I have a bunch of Federal I will load it once and then leave it lay.

As stated that LC will need more work to take the crimp off the primer pocket.