• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 5.56 & .308 with one surpressor

Buginout

Private
Minuteman
May 10, 2010
Does anyone know if there is a can that will work with both my AR and my .308 bolt? Ideally I'd like to buy one can that will work with both weapons that I can maintain myself. Does one exist? If I had to choose one or the other I guess it would be the .308. suggestions?

Re: 5.56 & .308 with one surpressor

The SureFire FA762K can be used with both. It is rated for .300 win mag also. You will just have to get a 556 adaptor for your AR and a 762 adaptor for your bolt gun.

Chuck

Yankee Hill makes a 308 suppressor that will attach to their 5.56 QD mount. It can be used for both calibers. (the 5.56 can will not fit on the 7.62 QD mount)

The AAC 762-SD currently uses the same 18-tooth mount as their M4-1000 suppressor. So, you can buy the 18-tooth .5x28 mount for your AR and a 5/8x24 for your 7.62x51 host.

The Ops Inc 12th Model suppressor is often overlooked but is available in both 5.56 and 7.62 calibers. So, same thing here. You can get the .30-caliber version of the suppressor and use it on both your hosts. The 12th Model does require some special barrel profiling so the rear collar will mount on the host. But the suppressors have a wonderful tone to them that is different from other suppressors I've personally used.

Mark

I've got a 762SD that is every bit as quiet (to the normal ear) as my SPR/M4 556 suppressor. Buddy of mine has a 762SD (that he got after listening to mine) and uses on his AR and on his AR10. I use mine on a Remington 700. It is fantastic on every platform. Both of them were bought from BookHound, by the way! He's your man if you need a suppressor. If I hadn't bought the SPR/M4 first, I would have never bought it after trying the 762SD. Works great, and saves a TON of money to have a .30 cal can that runs on 556 mounts. Definitely recommend that approach, no matter what brand you use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: angsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yankee Hill makes a 308 suppressor that will attach to their 5.56 QD mount. It can be used for both calibers. (the 5.56 can will not fit on the 7.62 QD mount) </div></div>
if you want to save $$$ and get a great deal this is the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BookHound</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The AAC 762-SD currently uses the same 18-tooth mount as their M4-1000 suppressor. So, you can buy the 18-tooth .5x28 mount for your AR and a 5/8x24 for your 7.62x51 host.

The Ops Inc 12th Model suppressor is often overlooked but is available in both 5.56 and 7.62 calibers. So, same thing here. You can get the .30-caliber version of the suppressor and use it on both your hosts. The 12th Model does require some special barrel profiling so the rear collar will mount on the host. But the suppressors have a wonderful tone to them that is different from other suppressors I've personally used.

Mark </div></div>

How concerned should I be about being able to do maintenance myself? If its not something I can do myself what do they typically charge?

Gemtech HVT will work too - the QD for the 223 will need to be 1/2 x 28 and the 308 will be 5/8 x 24. I have that set-up on my SASS 308 and my Mini-SASS 223. It works great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buginout</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
How concerned should I be about being able to do maintenance myself? If its not something I can do myself what do they typically charge? </div></div>

On a 22lr rimfire suppressor it is often a good idea to go with a design that comes apart for cleaning. This is because you will get lead build up in the suppressor that you can't otherwise get out of the body. Well, unless you have an all SS or Titanium product that could be soaked in chemicals that eat aluminum.

But on center-fire products, such as these rifle suppressors, taking the product apart for cleaning isn't necessary. You won't get the lead fouling (and you shouldn't use exposed lead projectiles for these reasons). However, you will get carbon deposits. Much of that can be cleaned with periodic soaking in lacquer thinner. I also use a wire brush to scrub fouling of the mount area of a fast-attach suppressor. This includes the mount area inside the rear of the body and the mount on the host. Very simple to do and you only do it when necessary based on use. To give you an idea I brush the back of my .30-cal suppressors and their mounts maybe once every 2000-3000 rounds.

Mark

BookHound- thanks for the info. you have a PM inbound

I think almost every mfg that has a QD can has mounts that work on both 556 and 762. I think the only difference is most 556 cans cant be solidly attached to the 762 mount.

Sure it can be done.

You just have to have someone who knows what they're doing set it up. Besides, having a single can for multiple sticks - bolts or semis - is a great $$$-saver.

This one, the OPS 3rd 30-cal model, is normally a dedicated bolt-gun suppressor.

PR1-3.jpg

It runs on three of my bolt sticks (2x 308s & 1x 30-06), ... and this:

16" LMT MRP:
SOS-2.jpg

Began as a "what-if" experiment, ... but it's fun and hearing-safe to shoot.

cool.gif

I have used my Shark on .308's .260's and .223's, all with zero POI shift, a stamped baffle welded together can will never be able to say that

Earlier today I paid for and began paperwork on a Rock Creek 308 QD suppressor that works on both the 308 and 223. Vortex QD flash hiders are used as the base for the QD system. Rock Creek is owned by Nick Hope just outside of Birmingham, AL. Retail on the model I purchased is $450.

which of these suppressors will work with 308 and 556, both Semi Auto Gas guns?

Weapon:
LWRC M6A2.........12" at crown........14" at the end of the SPR/M4 flashider

Ammo:
M855

Silencer:
AAC SPR/M4

Results:
Unsuppressed @ 1M = 168.7db
Suppresed Mean @ 1M = 136.2db
NSR: 32.6 db

Then.............................mounted a AAC SCAR-H SD on this weapon, same ammo, same day, blah blah blah......

Silencer:
AAC SCAR-H SD

Results:
Unsuppressed @ 1M = 168.7db
Suppresed Mean @ 1M = 137.9db
NSR: 30.7

If you happen to go with a thread on can, you can get one for a .308 and get a thread adapter from Tornado technologies. It threads on your AR and the other end has the threads for the .308 can....and for around $100.00....just FYI