• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5.56 specific suppressor

Jcaplinger199

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2019
Arlington, TX
Recommendations for a suppressor for an AR15 chambered in 5.56 with accuracy and POI shift being the bigger concerns over being the quietest. Thanks

Just shot me YHM R2 on a 16” 223/556 ar15. Poi shift is about 1MOA down and 1MOA left. I’m pretty happy with that.

Recommendations for a suppressor for an AR15 chambered in 5.56 with accuracy and POI shift being the bigger concerns over being the quietest. Thanks

Direct thread or a taper mount should get you the most repeatable and minimal shift.

CGS Helios qd or dt both have minimal shift, good accuracy reports and are some of if not the quietest around.

Reactions: Jcaplinger199
R2 is 17 oz and full auto rated. Stainless steel and inconel.

Mainly use for hitting steel on a spr build. Initially was going to be a mk12 clone but AEM5 are impossible to find and figured there has to be better more available options.

I say 1k because I had bought a suppressor from a company I won’t name and after waiting 6 months for the stamp and getting it. It had a bad weld on the end cap. The company couldn’t repair it so the sent me a check for $900 (suppressor plus tax stamp) so now I’m in the market again and will have to wait for the ATF again. Could be worse I guess

I’m plenty happy with my YHM turbo on my SPR. Not crazy heavy, stainless steel/inconnel construction. Gun is sub minute every time I’ve shot it with 77smk/75gn bthp with a proof ss barrel.

I also have a silencerco saker 556k direct thread sitting in jail I haven’t even tried out yet. Got it for a pistol build though.

Mainly use for hitting steel on a spr build. Initially was going to be a mk12 clone but AEM5 are impossible to find and figured there has to be better more available options.
The AEM5 is awesome, have one on my mod 1 but hard on brass (primer pockets). Surefire Socom rc2 556 is a solid option. Next to no POI shift and handles backpressure very well.

I say 1k because I had bought a suppressor from a company I won’t name and after waiting 6 months for the stamp and getting it. It had a bad weld on the end cap. The company couldn’t repair it so the sent me a check for $900 (suppressor plus tax stamp) so now I’m in the market again and will have to wait for the ATF again. Could be worse I guess
Sucks, sorry to hear that.

Put yourself on the waiting list at Capitol Armory. I paid for mine in full with the tax stamp and their next batch of suppressor I was automatically notified when my stamp was sent off. PreSample Depot in the DFW area gets a lot of them too.

I have a Sig SRD556 direct thread on my 16” Wilson Combat barrel. I consistently get .75 moa groups with several types of high quaility ammo.

I can’t address repeatability of POI after removal and reinstall. I torqued it on and haven’t taken it off

MR223 using a QD suppressor that mounts on to a muzzle break and I have not been succesful to point out POI difference.

So QD stuff is not inherently problematic.

Surefire SOCOM RC2.

Allen Engineering AEM 4 or AEM 5

I have the RC2, it's sound is very pleasant

The AEM5, while not "hearing safe" per se, if you clack off a few rounds without earpro, the only thing that seems to sting the ears is the supersonic crack of the bullet. The sound is amazingly quiet and like a lower pitch "t-sshhh" sound. Fucking awesome and definitely the best $600 I ever spent on an individual weapon accessory (not counting stamp and my dealer's transfer fees).

Last edited:
Just curious, why the dedicated 5.56? Seems limiting, especially if you’re not that concerned with trying to gain 2-3 dB in sound suppression potentially.

On an ar, my 308 can is quieter and less gassy than my 5.57 can.

Surefire SOCOM RC2.

Allen Engineering AEM 4 or AEM 5

I have the RC2, it's sound is very pleasant

The AEM5, while not "hearing safe" per se, if you clack off a few rounds without earpro, the only thing that seems to sting the ears is the supersonic crack of the bullet. The sound is amazingly quiet and like a lower pitch "t-sshhh" sound. Fucking awesome and definitely the best $600 I ever spent on an individual weapon accessory (not counting stamp and my dealer's transfer fees).
This.

I would get a .308 can so that its a little less gassy...but for the money and for what most civis will use it for...a YHM is reeaaaally hard to beat and that is what I went with as well...

I use a Silencerco Omega 300 on multiple 5.56 and most have negligible if any POI shift. Only rifle i ever had any real shift with had a CF barrel on it.

POI shift is often a concern with suppressor buyers but then most realize there is seldom a reason to shoot without one. I have no idea about POI shift on my cans. I don't shoot without them ever.

Reactions: FishinGuns
Suppressors make a rifle looooong. I’m more concerned about on-off-on-off-etc return to zero.

Suppressors make a rifle looooong. I’m more concerned about on-off-on-off-etc return to zero.
That is why most folks shorten the barrel and then add the suppressor. An 18 or 20" barrel and a 7" can is not bad at all.

ATF send you an amended or new tax stamp to update this change? Just curious how long it took them, mainly.

Definitely the best reason for reflex type. Im starting to layout building one for 5.56 use.

Taper mounts definitely rule the roost in this area

ATF send you an amended or new tax stamp to update this change? Just curious how long it took them, mainly.
I received a refund check from the company for the price I paid for the suppressor and tax stamp along with a certified letter of destruction of the suppressor with the serial number from the company. About 6 months later I received a letter from the ATF confirming they acknowledged the destruction. I keep my original tax stamp and both letters together in my safe should there ever be an issue

Reactions: AMGtuned
I would plan to run the gun suppressed only. There are some important things to consider in choosing a can; on/off POI shift only makes that harder. Just for reasons of under/overgassing I wouldn't want to set it up to need to run both ways. Run a can all the time and enjoy the wonders of the soft shooting, pleasant suppressed gun. Put an adjustable gas block on the gun and it'll be great.

.30 cal cans weigh more, have a little less backpressure, can be used on probably every centerfire you own.
.22 cans are a lot lighter and generally shorter and feel much more mobile.

Otter Creek Labs is currently working on an AEM5 "clone" called the OCM5 (I believe it will have an updated baffle design for better performance). Also, JR Machine Products offers a Form 1 AEM5 clone if building something and chopping 6 months off your wait tickles your fancy.

I would plan to run the gun suppressed only. There are some important things to consider in choosing a can; on/off POI shift only makes that harder. Just for reasons of under/overgassing I wouldn't want to set it up to need to run both ways. Run a can all the time and enjoy the wonders of the soft shooting, pleasant suppressed gun. Put an adjustable gas block on the gun and it'll be great.

.30 cal cans weigh more, have a little less backpressure, can be used on probably every centerfire you own.
.22 cans are a lot lighter and generally shorter and feel much more mobile.
My weapons run fine both ways, haven't had trouble getting one to do so yet. AR10 was finicky, but came to the front like a champ. I do agree though, full time suppressed with dedicated can is the way to go.

Have yet to see a weight comparison of 22 bore cans vs 30 bore cans. In theory, the 30 would be lighter, simply because of the tiny bit more of metal removed.

Lots of companies building "K" type cans to keep length down. Some of those are great, some are mediocre. A 30 can will only have less back pressure on a 5.56 host because of the larger bore opening. But, if the 30 can is designed around something like 300bo use; it might be stuffed full of tightly stacked baffles, essentially negating the overbore advantage.

5.56 is a unique beast. Short barrels only make it more of a bitch to deal with. But, it does suppress. And in my opinion, very well when done properly.

Have yet to see a weight comparison of 22 bore cans vs 30 bore cans. In theory, the 30 would be lighter, simply because of the tiny bit more of metal removed.

Generally dedicated 22 centerfire cans are just smaller overall with less volume since they are mostly designed for 223/556, there is less powder than what is being shot through 30 cal cans. but yes, if you built 2 cans the exact same size, just changed the diameter of the bore though the baffles, the 30 cal would be slightly lighter. But I don't think there are 2 cans out there that fit that model.

OP, For your use, really anything should work great. In my experience you are always going to have a POI shift with suppressor on vs off. But I also haven't shot one where the POI shift wasn't repeatable, so just not POI for on and POI for off. And I've never shot a can that negatively affected accuracy. Modern cans are great, there are no real negative effects other than back pressure on semi autos, length and weight added to gun, and your mags and action are gonna get dirtier.

I'd start with asking yourself questions like: this is for an AR, so do I want to start with a lower back pressure can or not worry about it? Do I prefer 1 mounting system over others? Customer support from the manufacturer a big deal? Length, weight a concern? Said it's for range use, but do you want to go ahead and buy one that can handle mag dumps should you decide to do it? Want maximum suppression, or just trying to knock the blast down some?

Last edited:
I’m down the 5.56 can rabbit hole fairly deep. Basically if it’s a defensive rifle, it has a dedicated can. Trainer rifles and hunting rifles share cans.

I have four Griffin Armament 5.56 cans. Two Recce 5’s (Taper Mounts) and two M4SDK’s (Gate Lock mounts). Taper mounts have had the least POI shift for me so far, but I don’t track it hard since the guns are built dedicated to the specific cans. I have a SilencerCo Saker 5.56k that I haven’t finished the rifle build yet, that is converted to a GA taper mount. I also have a YHM Turbo that will be converted to a GA taper mount that should be approved anytime now. That is a solid little can for the money. The GA taper mounts are slick kit, is what I’m getting at, here.

They only other dedicated 5.56 can that tickles my fancy is the Surefire can. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy one of those for what your requirements are, just probably one of the more expensive options on the table. It’s a lifetime investment, though…

Direct thread or a taper mount should get you the most repeatable and minimal shift.

CGS Helios qd or dt both have minimal shift, good accuracy reports and are some of if not the quietest around.

i second this option.

one thing to keep in mind however is that the Helios DT and Helios QD are two entirely different suppressors which can get confusing for people unfamiliar.

The Helios QD is made for an M249 belt fed machine gun and the MK18 and is an extremely hard use can.

The Helios DT is basically just a CGS Hyperion K with 1/2x28 threading for 5.56 rifles. IMO this option would be amazing for a 5.56 SPR given the fact that the CGS Hyperion was originally built for a .260 Rem gas gun.

Both options are compatible with .308 and 5.56 although the Helios QD was specifically designed for 5.56 and just so happens to allow .308 through it as well as part of their measures to reduce backpressure. happy coincidence its purely designed as a 5.56 suppressor.

You can also split the difference with the CGS Helios Ti that is coming out soon. all the benefits of the CGS Helios QD but made from titanium instead. CGS recommends you dont exceed 800F on any titanium suppressor (Hyperion's, Helios DT, Helios Ti)

Overall CGS is a super innovative company making a lot of really cool products with a pretty solid military relationship if that floats your boat although you don't hear them brag about it much.

Reactions: Jdfd556
I've got a SF SOCOM 7.62-RC-DE that I seldom use - had an AAC SCAR-h that I wasn't at all happy with, and was able to trade it to my local Class III/SOT for the NIB SOCOM (he wanted it for use on his SCAR-17). Reason I seldom use the SF can is that I'd been disappointed when I realized how much sound comes out of the ejection port of an AR (compared with how quiet my bolt rifles are with the TBAC cans I have for them), combined with how dirty the rifle & brass were when fired suppressed. However, this thread is making me think about putting a SF mount (I've got both 5.56 & 7.62 brake/mounts) on one of my AR-15s just to see what sort of results I get with it on a 223. It's a heavy bugger compared to the Ultra-7 & Ultra-9 cans I use on bolt rifles, but all I'd really need to do to try it on an AR-15 would be to order in a SLR adjustable gas tap for a .750" journal to fit the bbl on my SPR. Any good reason not to use the 7.62 on an AR-15 in 223, along with a SFMB-556-1/2-28 brake mount?

i second this option.

one thing to keep in mind however is that the Helios DT and Helios QD are two entirely different suppressors which can get confusing for people unfamiliar.

The Helios QD is made for an M249 belt fed machine gun and the MK18 and is an extremely hard use can.

The Helios DT is basically just a CGS Hyperion K with 1/2x28 threading for 5.56 rifles. IMO this option would be amazing for a 5.56 SPR given the fact that the CGS Hyperion was originally built for a .260 Rem gas gun.

Both options are compatible with .308 and 5.56 although the Helios QD was specifically designed for 5.56 and just so happens to allow .308 through it as well as part of their measures to reduce backpressure. happy coincidence its purely designed as a 5.56 suppressor.

You can also split the difference with the CGS Helios Ti that is coming out soon. all the benefits of the CGS Helios QD but made from titanium instead. CGS recommends you dont exceed 800F on any titanium suppressor (Hyperion's, Helios DT, Helios Ti)

Overall CGS is a super innovative company making a lot of really cool products with a pretty solid military relationship if that floats your boat although you don't hear them brag about it much.

Yup I'm very much waiting for the Helios QD Ti or their upcoming Typhos. I need more info on the Typhos. Josh isn't really offering up details. Jay has it in his possession but hasnt tested it yet (or at least the last time I asked him about it) and isn't offering details either. I know it's very lightweight and has lh thread taper mount system.

Reactions: RTV
Yup I'm very much waiting for the Helios QD Ti or their upcoming Typhos. I need more info on the Typhos. Josh isn't really offering up details. Jay has it in his possession but hasnt tested it yet (or at least the last time I asked him about it) and isn't offering details either. I know it's very lightweight and has lh thread taper mount system.

Oooo another new one cool

I haven't heard of the typhos yet.
Sounds like we don't even have bore diameter info?

Oooo another new one cool

I haven't heard of the typhos yet.
Sounds like we don't even have bore diameter info?

It's for 5.56 but beyond that I'm unsure of any specifics.

I believe there are multiple Typhos prototypes. One for 6 arc as well.

I was told it's Typhos and not Typhon. They are referring to the same Greek mythological creature regardless of spelling so whatever.

mvZeXn5.jpg

WVourXY.jpg

2lUPEF5.jpg

I believe total system weight with muzzle devices was like 9 oz or something like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMGtuned and RTV
I was introduced to OSS at work and they work better for my needs on a semi auto than anything else I have tried. Bought two for personal use afterward. We are demoing the new low blow back Sig cans at the moment but I haven’t got a chance to shoot one myself. I have heard good things from those that have.

CGS is the other brand I would like to try. That prototype looks interesting if system weight can be less than 9oz.

Reactions: BikePilot
I use Thunderbeast on my gas guns because I already own them for my bolt guns. But rate of fire is an issue. I've bought two Rex Silentium cans but haven't received tax stamps yet. I think they will be accurate and perform well but can't honestly say that without shooting them. I think anything well made, direct thread with a good shoulder on the suppressor and barrel will be accurate and have minimal poi shift.

If you're looking for a guaranteed no shift you will likely be disappointed.
My Rex MG7K does show a POI shift but actually tightened up my groups on my 6.5 bolt gun.

As one might suspect, asking “what is the best suppressor” is something akin to asking “who’s the hottest actress?” There may be a few top contenders, but personal preference rules the day…

Reactions: AMGtuned
I like the OSS. Seems very high quality and the minimal back pressure makes it easy to set the gun up, and seems to stay cleaner.