• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

5.56 vs .308 the 9mm vs .45acp argument of rifles?

alfred10

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
How far is a 5.56 effective? How much further is a military similar grade .308 round deadly out to?
I can carry four times as much 5.56 but is it as combat effective? How many rounds on average does a 5.56 take to drop someone? Is the 5.56 the 9mm of rifles and the .308 the .45 acp? I carry a .45 b.c I know if am in a fire fight one shot from my .45 will most likly end it. I would carry a .308 if this is the case.
My concern is stopping power which I believe does exist. There are people that are hit in good areas that dont drop. With all things equal will a .308 center mass be more effective than a 5.56 and will a .308 allow me to put shots center mass out to a much longer range; or will a 5.56 out shoot me by sheer ammount of low recoil high volume fire?
The two rifles are a Sig 5.56 and an M1A standard with military ammo. You could also throw in an M4 since they are a common weapon.
What is a .308 m1a standard with regular military ammo giving me that a 5.56 wont?
http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=4657696
I never liked the M4 for SHTF but the sig might make this round a good option.
This is what started my curiosity:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4weIh3Mc6kU

Re: 5.56 vs .308 the 9mm vs .45acp argument of rifles?

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vYEXzx-TINc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vYEXzx-TINc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Fulloffuck.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
LWRC556,Please tell me you actually have Firearms Rights?You are not for F***ing Real,How old are you?And fill out your profile before you post anymore silly shit.

well, i was hit by a pellet and i was down , do that count???Oh and the gun was a Daisy.....in 4.5mm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWRC556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carry a .45 b.c I know if am in a fire fight one shot from my .45 will most likly end it.</div></div>
1918929524715f4edefa.jpg

I'd ask where you come up with this stuff but I think I know already.

Don't worry about it. Just have a gun, and know how to use it.

If it's military/LEO you'll use what you're issued.

If it's survival mode, the skills that will keep you alive are foraging, hunting, fire/shelter making, and being invisible. A simple but reliable .22 rimfire would serve you well.

Getting into firefights on a regular basis will not enhance your odds of survival.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't worry about it. Just have a gun, and know how to use it.

If it's military/LEO you'll use what you're issued.

If it's survival mode, the skills that will keep you alive are foraging, hunting, fire/shelter making, and being invisible. A simple but reliable .22 rimfire would serve you well.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Getting into firefights on a regular basis will not enhance your odds of survival.</span></span>

</div></div>

Agree with MM. There will always be someone who will either outguned or outnumbered you. Stay silent and invisible (keeping a low profile) is always a good thing.

Okay...I gave a real answer in your other thread, which I now regret. WTF.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Getting into firefights on a regular basis will not enhance your odds of survival.

</div></div>

My vote for post of the week!

"I carry a .45 b.c I know if am in a fire fight one shot from my .45 will most likly end it. "

Can I get some of your magic bullets?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"I carry a .45 b.c I know if am in a fire fight one shot from my .45 will most likly end it. "

Can I get some of your <span style="font-weight: bold">magic bullets</span>? </div></div>

--> http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/4507/1918929524715f4edefa.jpg

You are always a fountain of information, MM. Although I would love to know where you find your unending supply of civility...
cool.gif

Really????? The M4/M16 with a DI system will outlast you in a firefight: <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BNpw26Qt6Bg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BNpw26Qt6Bg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

If you can't tell the difference between the capabilities of a .308 vs a 5.56 then you need to read more and speak less for a while.The Sig has tight tolerances and can jam more easily than you think. Just because it says piston on the advertisement doesn't mean its more reliable. I think it was Sweden or Norway who had there piston guns freezing up on them because simple condensation from bringing the gun from inside to outside froze everything up. An AK has a thin barrel that heats up fast causing problems from constant mag dumps if you decide to play Rambo and pray and spray, many European piston guns have tight tolerances that don't handle foreign matter that well, an AR vomits in it's own mouth causing you to need a little more elbow grease to clean it, a large caliber weighs to much, a small caliber isn't powerful enough, etc. etc... STOP LOOKING FOR THE PERFECT GUN!!!!! You won't find it. Find out more about fighting and driving a rifle and then figure out what you need. Stop talking gear and start talking tactics. Bulk up a bit and carry a .308 battle rifle in a carbine form if you're worried about firepower.

LOL- over 420 rounds fired full auto for about 2 minutes... one stoppage. I'd say that's pretty decent. If you're firing at that rate, you'll be dead, or out of ammo before your gas tube blows. Not to mention you won't be hitting a damned thing.

I'm starting to wonder if this guy isn't 15

Yes, but I think the real question here is:
Are countersniper scopes any good?

Seriously to the OP...

I reported you to the moderators because you have issues.

I really did.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pupdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seriously to the OP...

I really did. </div></div>

Gotta agree,entertainment value aside,few of his threads are over the top.

I agree as well...Several posts of his make me uneasy and fear for the future safety of leo's in his area.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pupdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seriously to the OP...

I really did. </div></div>

Gotta agree,entertainment value aside,few of his threads are over the top. </div></div>

Any one of them I would have just shrugged my shoulders at. All of them together, and it's like he wants to go from 0-Rambo in 3.6 seconds. Not good, indeed.

Oh you should start another uso vs nf vs ph vs leupold vs super sniper vs nc star vs tasco vs pentex vs counter sniper vs nikon vs your dumber than a bag of hammers vs my giraffe like to hump my hippo vs bsa vs ziess vs Barska vs millett vs vortex vs weaver vs STFU vs maser vs Piston Pete vs chevy vs ford vs dodge vs gas vs diesel vs bb's vs pellet ..... well what should I buy if I have ninjas attack with slingshots and I live in a jello house with corn cob doors?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swarrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh you should start another uso vs nf vs ph vs leupold vs super sniper vs nc star vs tasco vs pentex vs counter sniper vs nikon vs your dumber than a bag of hammers vs my giraffe like to hump my hippo vs bsa vs ziess vs Barska vs millett vs vortex vs weaver vs STFU vs maser vs Piston Pete vs chevy vs ford vs dodge vs gas vs diesel vs bb's vs pellet ..... well what should I buy if I have ninjas attack with slingshots and I live in a jello house with corn cob doors?
</div></div>

Asshole, you left out 9mm Parabellum vs. .45 ACP!

wink.gif

Put down the keyboard and go to your medicine chest. Open the door and look for the bottle that says "Haldol" Take twice the recommended dosage and stay away from your computer until the voices in your head stop. Then, come back on and immediately send a PM to Piston Pete. He needs to become your "go to" guy for all future inquiry.

This guy posted the exact same shit at ar15.com and god knows where else. Along with literally 15 other dumbass topics all in one day. He is off his rocker. If he spent 1/10 of the time actually shooting and not posting retarded shit on the internet he would be better off. Here are some of my favorite topics he posted

"How close is the Century PVS 14 to the sniper rifle insurgents use"

"What years was NV upgraded in combat since WWII? Gen 1 on ACOG?"

Can you drive at a high speed with Gen 1, 2 or 3 night vision in complete darkness?

At what point do you pull your gun or pull and fire when one on one?

Is ankle carry of a Glock 29 10mm possible if I currently carry a 27 with no issues?

Over half his posts on Arfcom are topics he created. About 400...

Dude, think real hard before you post..... Ask yourself. Is this really a good idea?..... Best of luck...