• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

5.7x28 Effective Round?

Smokin

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2007
Houston, Texas
I know the topic of the 5.7x28's, AR57 and P90/PS90's has been covered multiple times here and I am NOT trying to start a zombie killing ARfifteendotcom-ish thread. I am, however inquiring about civilian market available ammunition in this caliber for defensive purposes. From what I have read, the FN SS197 V-Max ammunition that is readily available, and relatively inexpensive is worthless for anything other than varmit hunting and plinking. I have also read that the SS190 FMJ ammo is considered effective (albeit controversal). Does anyone here have any information on this round that has proven stopping power and is available to the civilian market?

Re: 5.7x28 Effective Round?

Check out Elite Ammunition. I like the little round. Its not a .45 but there are some very good loads available for the 5.7

Do you have experience with the Elite products? Do they do what they claim? ie, have you ever tried their fagmenting offering on small game, etc?

I have heard of some special guys carrying the mp7, but not sure what ammo they are using.

The H&K MP7 is 4.6x30, different from the FN 5.7. I have heard and read both good and bad about this round and too would like to hear more about it especially from some who use it. When it came out I heard more about it than I do now. Maybe a clue right there. I know some PD's in Missouri issued/used this round at one time.

In Iraq, the German embassy EPS details carry the FN P90 while driving around in their Gelandewagens and while outside of them for that matter.

The round is effective in lots of situations, like punching little holes in thin sheet metal and crappy imports.

Several groups of people like the P90 platform for lots of reasons, such as high capacity, compact platform, excellent accuracy and easy manipulation from either the right or left strong hand, or for weak hand usage. The ballistic tip round is more effective than some target shooters/plinkers may imagine...FWIW.

HTH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fighthard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The ballistic tip round is more effective than some target shooters/plinkers may imagine...FWIW.</div></div>

Please dont take this question the wrong way...but what are you basing this off of? I've heard the opposite and own an AR57 upper. Im CONSIDERING buying a PS90, but probably wont unless it has some real defensive value.

I know from my PS90 the 197 round will atomize a milk jug of water...You can tell from the condition of the plastic that it was torn apart violently. Sorry I don't have anything more scientific but I know I wouldn't want to be shot by it. Also to note is that the bullet rarely exits the jug with any real force which may make it ideal for inside a home where you wouldn't want excessive over penetration esp on barriers such as a child's bedroom wall. I would think its small and speedy enough to penetrate heavier clothing without slowing down or deforming to much where it couldn't release the majority of its energy in tissue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have experience with the Elite products? Do they do what they claim? ie, have you ever tried their fagmenting offering on small game, etc? </div></div>

My only experience is with their Protector rounds that I got for my wife's 5.7 bedside gun. They are impressive and I expect all of Elite's ammo is as advertised. They are the darling of the 5.7 crowd.

First, let me say I think the PS90 and P90 are cool as hell.

However in researching them the proponents seem to be guys who are attempting to justify a defensive purpose for their toys. I know of at least one shoot by a SWAT team that did not work too well. On paper it doesn't seem that any of the rounds are a good energy delivery system.

I may still get a PS90 and SBR it for fun. However I would still rather grab my G21 if I have to investigate a bump and would sure as hell rather keep my M4 for kicking doors.

I don't have anything concrete to direct you to. Just the tip that if you have to look hard to justify what you are doing....then maybe it's not such a good idea to do it.

I own a P-90 and MP-7. I like the MP7-7 much more. That being said, these rounds only make sense when you can fire a burst of shots. I don't see them as being useful in semi-auto or any situation where you need to justify every shot. For a short barrel PDW, I am into 300 AAC BLACKOUT now. The expanding ammo is not out yet, but is being designed for FBI style testing - and very good in short barrels.