• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5.7x28mm tough lil boogers

Sgt. 0811

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2005
Aurora, CO
I've been wanting to load this round for a while. Last night I gave it a shot... this brass is VERY thin! plus there is some sort of coating on the brass that makes it very tough to prime. I'll keep at it tonight.

The goal is to load a round with a Barns Varmint Grenade I think it would be perfect but I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

Anyone else load these? Did you have the same problems?

Re: 5.7x28mm tough lil boogers

The coating on the brass is a plastic coating that acts as a lubricant. They are a PIA to load, but worth it. They have to be trimmed each time you reload since they grow so much. The primer pockets are staked, which is why they are a PIA. After the first reload it gets easier.

The RCBS primer pocket swaging tool is useful (others exist as well, this is the one that I have/use) and it makes priming crimped cases A LOT easier.

You can also cut the crimp off the primers with a chamfer tool and a cordless drill.

Definatly a huge help guys... I took a primer pocket tool to them and it made things much easier

What dies and press are you guys using for 5.7? A while back I considered getting one of those aftermarket machined shellplates for my dillon 550. I have heard so many opposing views on pressing 5.7 that I put the idea on hold.

I use an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme press and RCBS Full Length Dies. I think the shell holder is a number 45
I still don't know about my loads, I haven't been out to test.

I have little 5.7 experience, but plenty with the varmint grenade since I live behind the lead-free curtain. The 40g v-max is a much better choice IMHO.

Don't tumble the brass, keep case life around 3 reloads due to excessive shoulder movement to avoid seperation, and make sure shoulder is set back far enough. I have the Hornady New Dimension dies.

What powder/load will you be trying?