• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5 Axis Milling Machine Demonstrates Capabilities

GlockandRoll

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2008
Austin, TX
HOLY COW!!!

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2010/04/17/5-axis-milling-machine-demonstrates-capabilities/ http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2010/04/17/5-axis-milling-machine-demonstrates-capabilities/

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RnIvhlKT7SY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RnIvhlKT7SY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnIvhlKT7SY&feature=player_embedded

Re: 5 Axis Milling Machine Demonstrates Capabilities

That's freakin' awesome. Can you imagine the time it would take to manually write the program for that? We're slowly being replaced
smirk.gif

the real question is what is the price tag of that machine?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcwarrior87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the real question is what is the price tag of that machine? </div></div>

I actually know a guy who sells this stuff, I'm sure he will be able to find out.

Incredible! Programming that thing's gotta be tough. The cost to own & operate has to mean big $$$$$.

Piece of shit, I could do that with a block of wood and a pocket knife. Really though, I was a machinist for 6 years so I truly appreciate the awesomeness of that mill say goodbye to your HAAS.

A Challenge to the Pioneers of 5-axis Machining
A brief interview with the CEO of Daishin Seiki, Mr. Ryosuke Omachi regarding this project.
What was your inspiration for the Performance Racing Helmet?
Mr. Omachi: Our goal was to reach the limit of simultaneous 5-axis milling. We wanted our work to serve as a challenge to the pioneers of 5-axis.
Our reasons for choosing a helmet were both practical and artistic. First, we considered the work size. The project had to be less than 400mm since that was the maximum stroke of the machine tool. Secondly, we wanted to choose a subject that would be familiar to anyone at a glance.
I imagined a simple and free model within the 400mm sphere and I hit on the idea of a helmet. A typical motorcycle helmet was too simple to suit our needs. An off-road/motocross helmet gave us more flexibility in design. Our final design reflects the skills and experiences we have developed over our last 50 years as a manufacturing company.

What functions within hyperMILL® were beneficial to achieve your desired results?
Mr. Omachi: We used numerous milling strategies within hyperMILL® including specialty functions within 5x Multi Blade and 5x Tube Milling. The most useful strategy during the finishing process was 5x Rework (used to transform 3x toolpaths into simultaneous 5x movement with collision avoidance) which allowed us to control the cutter orientation as needed and also obtain the beautiful surface finish.
What was the total time invested in this project?
Mr. Omachi: This project represents two months of work for the three engineers involved. Milling time was approximately 150 hours. Considerable time was invested in achieving the high quality surface finish in evidence.
What did you learn during the course of this project?
Mr. Omachi: At Daishin Seiki, our main function is as a prototype manufacturer. During this project, we learned what we can accomplish using the latest and best technology within simultaneous 5-axis. Our company motto is, “Technology and Response”. We must deliver the latest technology to our customers, as this leads to mutual trust and the most satisfactory results for them.
The most satisfying thing that was achieved during the course of this project was the personal growth of the staff involved. They worked several weeks without rest and they rose to the challenge. This helmet was born of their passion.
Since this project, we have become involved with a lot of difficult work. When we earn such a job, our feeling is, “It is easier than the helmet!”
What version of hyperMILL® was used?
Mr. Omachi: We used hyperMILL® version 2009.1.
Thank you for the interview.
Daishin Seiki Corporation is a leading provider of prototypes to the motorsport industry and specializes in technologically sophisticated parts and 5-axis manufacturing. The Performance Racing Helmet, programmed by hyperMILL, was commissioned to celebrate their 50th Anniversary.

you think that bad boy could hand fluting my barrel ? /sarcasm.

Anyone actually know the MSRP on one of these ? 80,000 ?

From a retired tool & die maker, I started flinching with the chips started flying. It's been a while since I had chips flung at my head.

I had some schooling on this general type, as well as CNC lathes. The dexterity has increased somewhat but I understood most of the moves.

5 axis mill like that runs about $400K and up depending on the size and options. We had a 5 axis mill in the shop briefly except the company fail to write the program we need to mill a 15 lbs gearbox housing from a 600 lbs billet. Don't ask, one of the owners has weird ideas sometimes.

2 months of engineering with 3 engineers = 2 * 3 months * 160 hours * $125/hr = $120,000.
150 hrs * $100/hr = $15,000
Material = $1,000

So there you go, a $136,000 helmet.

While capabilities of a 5 axis is pretty great, most projects don't require having a 5 axis. Our shop has about 20 vertical mills, only 2 are 5 axis. The only time we use them is to mill impellers or when a part has many set ups that can be milled quicker on the 5 axis.

...and because of those show milling programs quite a few bosses think that everything can be milled that fast. That it actually took 150 hours + CAM processing is neither shown nor stated.

Take a look at the circus those machines do on CNC/automated machining shows. Only one out of 1000 companies actually need a 5 axis machine...

The programmer is not programming like 3 axis, it's all done by CAM processors, no one sane can write that code anyway, just like high tech robotics.

Nice to watch, a PITA if the boss wants YOU to do the same in the same time as shown in the video
laugh.gif

Been there, done that.... thanks, but no thanks. Now I am studying to command employees myself
laugh.gif

Quite a few sane people were writing those programs before CAM was available.
I've done tons of 4th and 3 axis work without the aid of CAM, but I've also witnessed one fella who formerly worked for me that could write and did write 5th axis programs with nothing more than a calculator and a notepad.

Most folks seem to forget that a 3 axis machine can be moved with G18 and G19, as well as G17.

Incremental loops, macros, and custom can cycles can enable a person to perform some incredible programs without the aid of CAM, but that helmet is certainly not something I'd like to tackle without it.

I`ve used an programmed 5 axis lasers all day long.It`s neat stuff.But to me it just another job.

Yup, we had one owner buy a 5 axis because he thought it was neat, but he runs the office side of the company. The other owner who runs the shop side, just shakes his head and was glad to see it go away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SurgeonPredator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...and because of those show milling programs quite a few bosses think that everything can be milled that fast. That it actually took 150 hours + CAM processing is neither shown nor stated.

Take a look at the circus those machines do on CNC/automated machining shows. Only one out of 1000 companies actually need a 5 axis machine...

The programmer is not programming like 3 axis, it's all done by CAM processors, no one sane can write that code anyway, just like high tech robotics.

Nice to watch, a PITA if the boss wants YOU to do the same in the same time as shown in the video
laugh.gif

Been there, done that.... thanks, but no thanks. Now I am studying to command employees myself
laugh.gif
</div></div>