• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5 calibers everyone should own

Re: 5 calibers everyone should own

22lr more power than most give it credit cheap, easy to cary a lot and its everywhere

.223 easy to shoot low cost mil surp, lots of factory ammo and a huge bullet weight range

30-06 great stopping power, mil surp match ammo available

12 gauge hunting, self defense skeet, it gets it done, ammo everywhere, and a rem870 will run forever

9mm mil surp easy to shoot low cost and with the correct load more efficient than 40s&w

22lr
12ga
should throw in a 300 rum just for good measure

My choice

22lr
12 ga
308 semi auto
308 bolt gun
40 s&w

i would have someone close to me carry my ak seeing as how every country in the world has 7.62x39 and 7.62x51 ammo and a lot of it at that

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwoolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC2841</div><div class="ubbcode-body">22 LR, same for lots of ammo
45 ACP, 1911, shooting twice is silly
5.56 mm, lots of ammo around + parts
308 M1ANM, semi, mag fed, dependable
300WM bolt, distance </div></div>

Actually, you just listed my guns... I've got an M1A Supermatch! also the 300wm bolt gun. LOL a series 70 gold cup national match 1911 that's been tricked out and an AR. LOL</div></div>

I listed a 45 but nobody can't have just one. Each of my family members have one too.

to own...
45acp
12 guage
300wm

must shoot once...
10 guage
45-70..old school
50 BMG
M1A/M14
thompson contender-can shoot high power rifle catridge out of a 10" pistol, including the 7-30 waters and 45-70.

I would have the following in my safe:
.22 cal
.308 cal
.375 cal
.45 cal
12 gauge

.22 cal would cover a .22LR supressed pistol, .22LR Marlin chipmunk and a psiton driven AR-15
.308 would cover an AK-47, M40A1 replica, AR-10 (or similar)
.375 would cover .375 H&H and .375 CT
.45 would cover a 45-70 and a Kimber Custom II in .45 ACP (favorite psitol at the moment)
12 gauge in a Benelli Da Vinci and a sawed off, pistol grip and folding stock version of the 870.

That covers any need I would ever have, even the SHTF scenarios.

You didn't specify only 5 guns but 5 calibers so like my safe there are many guns in these calibers:

.22LR (pistols and rifles, single shots, bolt actions, semi-automatics)

12 GA (pump, over-under)

.308 Win (bolt and semi-automatic)

.223 Win (bolt and semi-automatic)

7.62x39 (semi-automatic) just because.
smile.gif

I listed the 7.62x39 instead of the heavy hitter .338 RUM because I figured it would probably be more useful. Don't practice enough with the .338 RUM to make the extra range truely useful if needed.

Hmmmm.... I would have to say...

12ga
.22lr
9mm

and if I could have a 6th it would be a 338 Edge...

.22 Win Mag (rifle and pistol)
12 gauge (short barreled or tactical)
.223 (AR and rifle)
6.8 SPC (AR, because I have one and it's way lighter than .308 rifles)
.308 (rifle and AR-10)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For me the list looks like this:

1)22 long rifle
2)223 Remington
3)308 Winchester
4)300 Magnum of some sort (I prefer weatherby)
5)338 Lapua </div></div>

That's my choice as well, but .300 Winchester Mag for me

12 ga

Standard NATO Calibers
9mm

20mm, 50bmg, 338LM, 40mm grenade launcher, and a fullauto MP5 lol

I agree with most posts above, but I would add the proviso, under what circumstances are we picking the top 5 calibers? i.e., doomsday scenarios?, or for a balanced collection?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC2841</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwoolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC2841</div><div class="ubbcode-body">22 LR, same for lots of ammo
45 ACP, 1911, shooting twice is silly
5.56 mm, lots of ammo around + parts
308 M1ANM, semi, mag fed, dependable
300WM bolt, distance </div></div>

Actually, you just listed my guns... I've got an M1A Supermatch! also the 300wm bolt gun. LOL a series 70 gold cup national match 1911 that's been tricked out and an AR. LOL</div></div>

I listed a 45 but nobody can't have just one. Each of my family members have one too. </div></div>

LOL, we don't have just one .45 over here either! LOL

Those listed are my favorite calibers.

M1A supermatch tricked out with bipod and optics, 300wm rem 700 action, trued, heavy 26" 1:10 twist with a brake and mcmillan a3 stock and bipod... 22lr auto, XD .45, Cold gold cup national match series 70 tricked out.... AR15 ( working on tricking that out )

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: grkmec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.22lr
9mm PARA
.223 Rem
.308 Win
12 Ga. </div></div>

I would replace the .22lr for .338LM. If you are gonna shoot at something, might as well use a 9mm</div></div>

Thats great if you are trying to make a hit @ 1200 yds. But as a must have I can carry 550 rounds of 22lr in a backback and still have water, snacks, binos, F/A kit, and pocket knife, while carrying the rifle. And put small game on the dinner table. What does 550 rounds of .338 LM feel like?

For all around survival situations:
22lr- lots of ammo makes it easy to carry, and its good for small game.

9mm or .45acp- eithe or, both very common calibers, shot placement has higher value to one than the other.

Any .308 caliber cartridge...308W, 30-06, 300WM and variants.-good for any North American game whether 2 or 4 legged.

12ga- I know its not a caliber but is has multiple capabilities for hunting/defense, ammo can determine range and usage.

.223 - I put this up just to choose a 5th. Its not detrimental to any survival/defensive/hunting situation. Its popular due to its military background, and falls short to your typical 30 caliber longrange round. Its not bad to have as the ammo can be popular to find like the .45 and 9mm.

It all depends on what your needs will be. I would love to have a 6.5 creedmore, .338LM, .408 CT, and a half a dozen others. But for "must have" which means to me, a situation where survival and defense will be an issue, the listed rounds will meet my needs.

22lr (Varmint + Small game + Practice)
9X19 para (9mm NATO)(pistol practice and self defence)
223/5,56Nato (Practical shooting + varmint+ small game)
30-06 Spring or 308win (Hunting intermediate size game + close to intermediate range sniping, basic training of shooting)
338LM (Sniper work + large game)