• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5 FTFIRE with reloads for 223, WHY?

diego-ted

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2011
Diego-Town
I had a hand full of 223 reloads that FTF, I was using Fed sm rifle primers. I had used them before without an issue, the primers look like the pin struck them hard. What could be causing this? 223 AR

Thx Diego

Re: 5 FTFIRE with reloads for 223, WHY?

when you pull the heads check to see if the anvil is intacted in the primer

Did they get a powder charge? Seen that happen before, no powder charge, primr will not lodge the bullet in the barrel, I have never seen it blow one past the crimp ( no pun intended..
wink.gif
) and 5 fit in a row on a tray, seems to make sense a row missed a charge, maybe?

I will pull them apart this weekend, in the mean time anyone else?

Diego

This usually happen when you did not seat the primers in properly i.e. high primers. What happens is when the firing pin goes forward, it hits the primer but some of that force is used to push the primer in, the other problem is if the primer is not seated, the anvil is not against the bottom of the primer pocket and so the force of the hit has nothing to go against i.e. this just moves the anvil forward.

Ditto that - first thing I would check is primers not fully seated (been there, done that). Second thing: have you checked the reloaded cartridges for proper sizing with a case gauge?

My 77's won't move with just the primer. I'd accept one dud primer as a possability but for 5 I'd think somewhere int he loading process.

If you are going to pull unfired round this weekend, you can easily check for the existence of high primers – put your finger on the head of the round and swipe it across, you will easily be able to detect high primers which sticks above the case head.

The correct depth for primers is actually slightly below the level of the case but that usually require a bit of pocket uniforming which most people don’t do in which case the primer should be at least level with the case head.

What about your trigger group springs? How many rounds have you sent down range with this lower/trigger combination? I'm just raising the possibility that it might not be the ammo but inconsistent primer strikes. In all likelihood it is probably your ammo - but thre are other factors at play here too.

Headspace? Chk to see if the shoulders are pushed back too far. I have had this problem also with .223.

SY

Headspace is a good posibility, I just full sized the cases, I did not measure anything?

I did not know I needed to since I full sized the case?

ya , if your headspace is off your cases will move foward when the pin strikes.But if you had that problem it would be a re-occuring issue and not isolated to 5 rounds.

i might blame shitty primers , you might have gotten something inside the flash hole, like media. How many times did you try to fire the duds ?

I just had 10 that I reloaded and did not try fIreing the others. I only tried to fire the rounds once.

Diego

The first thing to check is if you forgot to put powder in those cases. This is why I always pick up a tray and visually check every one, before I seat bullets. Unless you are using a Dillon, I can't say but excessive headspace doesn't work that way. The rounds fire; but you get case head separation, actual or incipient.

Second possibility is contaminated primers and WD40 is a prime suspect.

I don't suppose that you shook the rounds to verify that they contained powder, assuming this was not a compressed load? BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diego-ted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK< I am a dummy!! NO powder.

thx for all the help.

Diego </div></div>

It happens, learn from it.

Get in the habit of looking down the necks in every row, before you seat bullets. It's routine, until you see an empty; they stand out. Little things, develop habits, like always moving the funnel right after dumping the charge, before throwing the next, which prevents a double, and a mess. BB

Had the same thing with a single round after <span style="text-decoration: underline">meticulously</span> labeling and loading 8 rows of different charge weights. A single misfire that I would have gladly bet a Romneyesque amount of money was caused by a bad primer. Instead, a badly timed phone call resulted in a single round without powder.