• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 5 mils VS 10 mils per revolution

khall540

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2011
Beaver Dam, WI
I have recently been looking at purchasing a new scope for my Rem 700 .300 win mag. Specifically, I have been looking into the Vortex Viper PST and Razor HD. One thing I noticed is that you can get it with 5 mils per revolution or 10 mils per revoultion in the adjustment turret. What is the reasoning for this? Any advantage or disadvantages? The 5 mils per rev turret lookis like it would be easier to count and see your 1/10 mils because it seems more spread out with more space between each 1/10 mil line. Thanks.

I think it largely depends on the diameter of the knob. Because you are right, the spacing between clicks is very important.

For example, I had a 1-4x SWFA with 10 mils per knob. I could barely discern the number of clicks without consciously staring at it while dialing. My USO #3 knobs on the other hand were a joy.

If it has a zero stop i prefer 5 mil per turn.. i like the larger more defined clicks. If there is no zero stop, 10 mils for me.

Well you can probably understand from a true tactical scenario, dialing very quickly from one target to another. Also with hunting you can dial out to your max terminal/ ethical range in less than one turn. 10 mil on a 308 will get you darn close to 1000Y

The only disadvantage would be if the turret graduation was higher, i/e a half moa per click vs a 1/4 moa click , in that at static distances you may be higher or lower than your zero, or can not get exactly on that x mark. With the Razor the clicks are both .1 mil so the zero prob is non existant.

How far are you going to shoot and how often, and more importantly how often will you dial to 1000 then back to 350 and then back out to 845? If you're not doing that it's really not going to matter. The 5 mil turrets give more distance between the clicks so they are more tactile, the advantage of 10 mils is you're rarely going to be more than one turn to get to any reasonable range, with 5 mils you will be in the 2nd revolution on the elevation turret somewhere in the 700 to 800 yard range so you'd need to remember that coming back to shorter distances.

As of right now the longest I have shot and can shoot is 600 yards. In the future I do plan on being able to go to 1000-1200yds. Thanks for all the info so far. You all have made some great common sense points which I obviously overlooked.

I'm normally a 10 mil fan but the Razor I played with a few months ago with 10 mil turrets could have been much better, not even in the same league as the NF HS. The 5 mil knob versions I've handled were very nicely done.

I have recently been looking at purchasing a new scope for my Rem 700 .300 win mag. Specifically, I have been looking into the Vortex Viper PST and Razor HD. One thing I noticed is that you can get it with 5 mils per revolution or 10 mils per revoultion in the adjustment turret. What is the reasoning for this? Any advantage or disadvantages? The 5 mils per rev turret lookis like it would be easier to count and see your 1/10 mils because it seems more spread out with more space between each 1/10 mil line. Thanks

To the OP this video from Vortex might help. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3y8Y7Nk7nw

Having run both, the tactile feedback is quite different. In 10th mil overshoot or combined knob and reticle; a HIT for a 0.10 mil error in knobs or hold on a 12" target overlaps to about 850yrds with a standard 175gr SMK/ 2600fps .308 in fixed environment. Taking the possibility of 1/10th knob error is within the wash of having good dope/trajectory/range/read to start with. It's more a subjective user option and the "high speed" is relative.

Zero stop is more a necessity IMO and the Razor has it. One turn or more; there is nothing to look at to reset slightly below zero.
To any animal; there isn't any counting but visual/tactile acuity is easier with defined lines, bold numbers with bold detents (perhaps a gripe for knob real estate usage). There is no added precision in a micrometer like knob. There is no "high-speed" in a knob dependant situation if it takes additional invested sensory input.