• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.50 BMG ammo recommendations...Hornady...Desert Tech?

Texaslongshot

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2018
A friend of mine got a Barrett M107 A1. He is looking for ammo recommendations. I am not familiar with the .50 cal world.

Just looking on line doest appear to be a lot of "match grade" options. Anyone have any experience with the Hornady or Desert Tech?

Other recommendations.

Best option is to reload for that beast.
Initial tool up will be costly but worth it in the long run.
Lapua brass and one of the good monolithic solids with a good temp stable powder.

Lake City or some other reputable ammunition manufacturer will be fine for that rifle. Jim Bobs home loads after pounding a 1/5 of Jack and doing two lines of blow on a hookers ass while mixing pistol powder to make it go FASTER exotics is something I would shy away from.

You can start reloading the big fifty relatively cheap with a RCBS BMG loader kit. Case prep is the BIGGEST PITA but you get to tailor your rounds and you know what you are shooting. Patts reloading is a good source for pull down projectiles, but make sure that the stuff you are buying is sized (it says it on their site and you can call and ask since stuff has been moving really quickly). Blue tip (incendiary) and yellow and red (spotter tracer) requires a sub load or you risk bursting the round in the barrel. As an example, I use 235grns of 50bmg powder for my API loads, I use 185grns of 50 bmg powder for spotter tracer.

If your not going to load your own match ammo, Randy is your best bet.
Buy ball plinking ammo from reputable sources.
Buy a sample and make sure it functions in the rifle before buying in bulk.
Have fun.

A friend of mine got a Barrett M107 A1. He is looking for ammo recommendations. I am not familiar with the .50 cal world.

Just looking on line doest appear to be a lot of "match grade" options. Anyone have any experience with the Hornady or Desert Tech?

Other recommendations.

I hear SLAP rounds work great

Have your buddy just shoot regular ball ammo first and see if he likes it. Many shoot a 50 for a novelty and they generally don’t shoot them much or keep them long term. If he decides he likes it, then start looking at match ammo but off-the-shelf 50s are used for delivering energy, not so much accuracy. If he is looking for ELR and expects small shot groups, about the last thing you want is a semi-auto 50.

Last edited:
Reactions: stefan73
Handloads. The solids are really the way to go IMO. I've got some brass Lehigh's that are pretty nice. Loading is pretty expensive though, good dies are not cheap and you'll need a special press (I use the Dillon BFR but belt up shit for an M2HB so it's sort of a necessity). Components aren't cheap either. Pulled API reloads typically go for (were going for anyway) $500 per 100 and even with bulk purchases and used LC brass I'm doing awesome at $2.50 per round. That was pre-hysteria prices.

For storebought shit, the 750 AMAX is sorta the standard, and much more expensive than the API.

It also eats barrels so it really is a once in a while weapon for most.

Handloads. The solids are really the way to go IMO. I've got some brass Lehigh's that are pretty nice. Loading is pretty expensive though, good dies are not cheap and you'll need a special press (I use the Dillon BFR but belt up shit for an M2HB so it's sort of a necessity). Components aren't cheap either. Pulled API reloads typically go for (were going for anyway) $500 per 100 and even with bulk purchases and used LC brass I'm doing awesome at $2.50 per round. That was pre-hysteria prices.

For storebought shit, the 750 AMAX is sorta the standard, and much more expensive than the API.

It also eats barrels so it really is a once in a while weapon for most.
API sized from Patts runs $329.99 for 500 projos. Your buying from the wrong place.

I still have a bunch of 750 grn Lapua Hybrids. When I bought them the price was good because the distributors were changing out (the rep called me and offered a good deal). A bit later I looked at Graffs and almost choked on my dinner when I saw the price per projectile! I stopped shooting those Hybrids at closer ranges.

Last edited:
So some expectations are probably a good place to start. A M107 will hold about 2 MOA with good ammo at 1000 yards. Maybe a bit better but that is real world performance at matches. With factory Amax that is probably more like 3 MOA and with Ball, API or AP is is probably more like 5. To get the best possible out of it either reload or call Randy and Thunder Ammo.

-Alex

does the factory 750 amax ammo from hornady have hornady brass? Is it any good?

i have 100 pieces of lapua brass for when I start handloading but don’t have all the equipment yet so would like to have some decent ammo in the meantime and would be nice to have a little pile of decent once fired brass as well.

Not sure about that with regards to the Hornady Ammunition.

Lake City stuff is fine as long as you trim and don't mind de-burring the primer pocket. Brass prep on the .50 is a pain.

does the factory 750 amax ammo from hornady have hornady brass? Is it any good?

i have 100 pieces of lapua brass for when I start handloading but don’t have all the equipment yet so would like to have some decent ammo in the meantime and would be nice to have a little pile of decent once fired brass as well.
The real problem is that it is Amax and that only shots well at about 2650 fps and only does well from a 3 groove pac-nor.

-Sandow

I have a cadex tremor
No idea how an 8 groove will do but generally amax is and intolerant bullet. I'd strongly suggest a solid. Cutting Edge, Lehigh and Thunder Ammo all have good options that will work in most barrels. Go to a FCSA match and anyone you see shooting amax is probably a first time competitor...

-Sandow

No idea how an 8 groove will do but generally amax is and intolerant bullet. I'd strongly suggest a solid. Cutting Edge, Lehigh and Thunder Ammo all have good options that will work in most barrels. Go to a FCSA match and anyone you see shooting amax is probably a first time competitor...

-Sandow
I appreciate the input sir, thank you