• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

50 BMG bore sight....

DirtyMan

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2013
Erie, PA
I'm looking to get a laser bore sight for my 50. I have noticed prices from 20 bucks to 180 bucks. From what I have seen they are all the same power with set screws holding the laser center. So is this an area I can be cheap in?

I would suggest pulling the bolt and centering the target on bags ect through the barrel. Adjust your scope close as you can get. Should be able to zero in a couple of shots using your reticle to measure the adjustment.

Don’t go too cheap. The difference in price is often the distance at which the laser can be seen. I have an SL-150 and while I can see it at 100 yards, I should have paid a little more and found a SL-500. The other thing you need to check on the .50 is the length of instrument needed to fit that far down into the barrel. I tried one on my Barrett .416 and it would not work because the muzzle brake was too long. I see Midway has the SL-150 for 174.00 while the SL-500 is 238.00

I would suggest pulling the bolt and centering the target on bags ect through the barrel. Adjust your scope close as you can get. Should be able to zero in a couple of shots using your reticle to measure the adjustment.

I have the nightforce NP-RR1 so I don't know if that will work for me. With the price of 50 ammo I figured the bore sight should pay for itself fairly quick. Haha.

Don’t go too cheap. The difference in price is often the distance at which the laser can be seen. I have an SL-150 and while I can see it at 100 yards, I should have paid a little more and found a SL-500. The other thing you need to check on the .50 is the length of instrument needed to fit that far down into the barrel. I tried one on my Barrett .416 and it would not work because the muzzle brake was too long. I see Midway has the SL-150 for 174.00 while the SL-500 is 238.00

If they are both 5mW won't they show up the same? Or are you talking red vs green? I did read that people think the green is easyier to see.

Use a target with a grid on it for zeroing efforts. With moa adjustments you can still achieve your goal in a couple of rounds.

Use a target with a grid on it for zeroing efforts. With moa adjustments you can still achieve your goal in a couple of rounds.

So basically I should stop fuckin whining and learn how to use the MOA dials on my scope. Screw it that's what I'm gonna do gotta learn anyways ammo should be here next week so I'm gonna go for it weather permitting!!

Anyone have any good links on using MOA adjustments. I read the NF manual but I still don't have it down 100% .mil is way easyer lol.

Agree - within a few shots you should be zeroed

After bore sighting many rifles, pulling the bolt and sighting a 100 yard target through a 50 cal is like looking through a scope. Kinda cool looking down such a big tube. You can do what you want but it is gratifying pulling the bolt and lining up the target, adjusting the scope, taking a shot and being dang close to a bullseye.

A laser bore scope cost a lot more then a few rounds of ammo, try eyeing it up once and see how close you get. Adjust the scope double check to see if the barrel agrees with the scope and send one down.

oneshot.onehit

I'm going to guess your adjustments are 1/4 moa. Each one inch square is 4 clicks(very close at 100). It should say on the knobs. This will save you the cost of a laser bore doodad that you can put into ammo. One you do it this way you will never need any gadget for zeroing again. Btw 3-4 shots will get you there if you take your time.

btw some of the NF target scopes could be 1/8, or 8 clicks for an inch

Last edited:
I bought a cabelas boresighter for 50 bucks or whatever they are that does 22-50 cal. I plan to use it on my 50. It is hard to see at 100 yards in the daylight but I just boresight at dusk. Works fine for me. has saved alot of ammo.

+1 your goin to have to adjust anyways for the type of ammo your shooting.

+1

Given the relatively large diameter of the .50, I would pick a far off object (several hundred yards +) but this method has always worked great for me.

I just checked my scope looks like its 1/8 so 8 clicks per inch @100. So when I'm looking at my rectical it has crosshairs at let's just say 20 moa at 22x at 100 so that should be 2.5" if that is correct where I'm getting confused is how do I make adjustments @ 1000 as it will be less than a full click per inch.

yeah i use mine quite often and usually it works great. IM on my second though, they have a define lifespand of made in china. except for last time, looking through glass with a 1.5-6 optic, i bore sighted it off the reflection in the glass, not on the actual laser dot at 100 yards haha. ;)

Ok just spent the last couple hours going over MOA I got it down!! I was way over thinking it in the beginning. I do have another question my scope has 50moa of adjustment so does that mean 400 clicks (1/8 per click). I guess I could start cranking and counting lol.

+1 on this

This. With .50s as heavy as the are, it is easy to bag them in and have them stay stable. I did this with my M99 and I was within 2" at 100yds.

Im glad you guys talked me into doing it this way! It felt awesome to nail the target on my second shot. I got a couple rounds of BMG it is labled "FLB 75 12.7x99" I had to shoot both rounds twice as they did not fire on the first attempt? primer had a nice indent so Im hoping its the ammo not the rifle. I have good video but it wont upload from my phone Im going to start a youtube account so I can post them but until then here are some pics!!!

BMG2.jpgBMG1.jpg

Last edited:
Im glad you guys talked me into doing it this way!... I had to shoot both rounds twice as they did not fire on the first attempt? primer had a nice indent so Im hoping its the ammo not the rifle.

Now that ya learned to bore sight the 50. Get your 22 or 30 cal out & bolt up the scope you just bore sighted on the 50 to practice how to use it. A Mill Dot Master is a good start. You will save loads of money that you can use to buy ammo that safely fires when it is striked.

Yep, looking down the barrel is the best way. I was pulling targets out in Nebraska where we were shooting the 50's @ 1000yds when another guy on the line broke a scope. Another friend put his backup scope on, bore sighted it by looking down the barrel @ 1000 and added the elevation to get it there. Put it in the ten ring first shot. Charlie kept that shot for score, was fun to be the one pulling the target on that shot.

As others said, use this method on all our guns. Slick, and best part it's free.