• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

50 BMG for the win

Jim the Plumber

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Doing a little load developing for a mile target we will be shooting in next months match, I came up with this load right out of the gate.
Considering I've fired ~2500 rounds through this barrel, it's holding it's own for sure. Maximum fire power with lots of barrel life. No need for a specialized barrel burner.
225 grains of H 50BMG, CCI 35 primers, LC brass, 750 grain A Max.
Showing a lot of promise as I was able to connect @ 1245 yards right away. Next will be to verify my drop @ 1760 and I'm GTG.
Out of my 24" Barrett they are going a sedate 2525fps which keeps them supersonic to about 2400 yards.
Bottom picture is a few 50BMGs loaded with the 750 A Max and a 338 Lapua for size comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_20140526_213131_754.jpg
    IMG_20140526_213131_754.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20140526_185703_023.jpg
    IMG_20140526_185703_023.jpg
    730.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20140526_213205_603.jpg
    IMG_20140526_213205_603.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 98
Reactions: camocorvette
Jim,

Looks good! That load seems to be the sweet spot for the AMAX! I usually suggest people start with your exact load when beginning to reload.

Keep us posted on your 1 mile results!

Scott Nye

Don't you know that you can't shoot a 50 BMG accurately at long range Jim ????
You need one of the super fast 338's or 375 cheytacs to hit anything at one mile !
All sarcasm aside, I've been using Re50 for my 50 cal bolt gun match loads now and have been shooting good with it and it's much more consistent than H50.
I'm also phasing out my LC brass for some better brass. LC is good, but I've found out that it's not the best for getting the most out of my Match loads.
I use 220 grn H50/750 Amax combo in my Serbu semi and it's shooting 1.5-2.0 Moa at 1k lately.
I'm also trying to get out to a mile with my 50's, but Murphy seems to show up and change my plans at the most inappropriate times.
Please keep us updated with your results.

No need to keep it going when a 50 is the only extreme range cartridge. Let us 338-375-408 guys pick it up past 2500 yards when you run out of juice /accuracy.

John, I figured that would get people stirred up. Must not be much interest for ELR.

No need to keep it going when a 50 is the only extreme range cartridge. Let us 338-375-408 guys pick it up past 2500 yards when you run out of juice /accuracy.
Real men shoot 50's. The original and one to be compared against ELR and CQB caliber for decades.
If you want to be seen with a puny caliber rifle, that's your choice. Just make sure you clean it before giving it back to your wife or girlfriend !

I'm happy with a 1.3 miles of range. After all the 50 BMG offers more than dumb bullets. I like the option of a payload upon arrival, which the 50BMG has. The two you mentioned, just dumb bullets.

You guys are funny, you must be thinking ELR stops at 1800 yards. Carry a 50 out with the trash when you shoot beside the 338/375/408. If a 50 is a measurement for ELR, then the 22 looks so damn good!

You guys are funny, you must be thinking ELR stops at 1800 yards. Carry a 50 out with the trash when you shoot beside the 338/375/408. If a 50 is a measurement for ELR, then the 22 looks so damn good!

Plenty of people have taken the 50 BMG out to distances 99% of people will never have to shoot at in any real world situation, aside from the military battlefield.

Most people don't have local ranges or land to shoot any extreme distances.

So what it boils down to, is we can have more fun with more bullet options and at the same time, have absolutely devastating rounds for whatever purpose we want.

Where are your AP, API, APIT, I, IT, Mk 211 Mod 0 (yes, hard to find and expensive, but still available), etc., bullets for the 338/375/408?

With all those bullets, toss precision out the window. But I guess minute of man is good enough for you. Better make it minute of truck with a 50.

With all those bullets, toss precision out the window. But I guess minute of man is good enough for you. Better make it minute of truck with a 50.

Right..... Plenty of 50 BMG's have proven they can go the distance. ;)

2,657 yd yard kill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MK4SEoBFXk

Rob Furlong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know that kill shot has been bested by a small margin, but I'll bet if Furlong had a target at that new record distance or more, he could take it out just as easily with the 50 BMG. ;)

So carry on with the dick measuring...

Reactions: deersniper
2657, that's all? Give our boys good cartridges. The 338s, 375s, and 408s have proven themselves much much farther.

Would it be possible to push the 750 grain Amax to 2900 fps out of a 50BMG with say a 36" barrel. I was just thinking since the HTI .50 is fairly compact with a 29" barrel, if a guy had a custom barrel made at 36" could he get that kind of velocity out of it? It would certainly extend the range and keep the Amax supersonic to close to 3,000 yards?

Barrel length and improve cartridge design to increase volume. Blow the shoulders out and take the taper off. Look at the 510 Allen, an excellent example of how a precision 50 should be crafted.

dang, that 338 lapua looks like a little guy next to that 50!!! Thats awesome.

I am building a long rnage toy myself Jim, we will have to get together to shoot long sometime, I have out to 4500 yards currently. That would be fun. Its a big 48x48 inch target, and another 30 inch gong a little closer, I will have lights on them in no time.

That's what it would take, carry more than a 50 for that distance.