• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    Anyone have a can on their 50? Would you buy one again? I have a serbu 50 semi coming in and if it's a good idea I might get a can and make an AGB. Thanks

I never owned a 50 BMG suppressor when I was into 50 BMG, but a lot of people swear by the AAC Cyclops and Elite Iron Alpha.

Reactions: deersniper
    That’s part of the fun of owning a 50BMG-lots of concussion and noise!!

I also have a Cyclops on my AX50. Very quiet, but the added recoil was not worth it.

I was kinda shocked at the added recoil myself. A lot more than I expected. I just added some weight to the gun and cured it.

I use an Elite Iron on a DTA HTI. They indexed the can TDC to the barrel so the drop change in POI is vertical. Since it wouldn't fit the DTA QD mount at the time, I had them make me a new brake and they indexed it TDC and cut it so I wouldn't need shims to swap between the can or brake in the field. The brake and the can both have wrench flats too. That's really nice. Nobody wants to fuck with shims to swap back and forth. The brake, BTW, is the same as the one that comes on Harris rifle --because Elite Iron makes the brakes for Harris rifles. A lot of alphabet soup agencies and some military use Elite Iron's cans. They ain't cheap --they're priced better because he doesn't use a lot of exotic metals, mostly 316SS. Being a metallurgist by profession, he knows what he's talking about and I've never seen one come close to failure. He's honest and will give you the truth, no smoke up your ass. He's also not shy of doing some custom work or giving you what you want within reason and they come in your choice of Cerakote. Just a great guy.

The Elite can is also designed for bolt gun style rifles. They're not designed to work with semi auto or on an M2HB (there are cans for that, including M2HB).

AAC may do everything different with their .50 can, but they burned their bridge with me over the 51T mount and horrible CS. I have four of their cans and they all work well now, no thanks to them. They're all just blaster cans, but at least they lock up tight and don't ping. They're also allowing the Sandy Hook families to sue Remington, who bought AAC, so if their CS was deplorable in the past, expect it to be nonexistent after this nonsense starts up and they're forced to liquidate it. See, Remington didn't change a damn thing at AAC, they kept ALL the same shit that caused them to fail --that damn ratchet mount, pinging flash hiders and fuck fuck games with CS.

AWC just tried to blow so much smoke up my ass the only thing I learned was that they're a very disreputable company and will say anything to get a sale; that said, I was never able to learn any truth about their can so I moved on.

TBAC says they have one on the burner. Don't know when it comes out but it'll be nice, likely lighter than 4lbs., it'll be costly but it'll be worth it. I'd call them and then see if you can hold off until theirs comes out. IMO, Elite Iron and TBAC share a lot of traits except Elite uses 316SS and TBAC uses Ti. Other than that, they share a lot of attributes. Elite is one of my go-to's along with TBAC.

I think was OSS? They make/made a .50 can that reflexes over the barrel, by quite a bit actually. It reflexes so much that I couldn't use it on an HTI, the handguard is too long. I've always wondered how well that particular one worked. Never heard of anyone that has one.

Pretty much all .50BMG cans weigh 4lbs. no matter who makes 'em or what they're made out of. The Elite Iron is the same 4lbs. It's built like a tank, the blast baffle has to be 3/8" thick --it's a monster and a half. As for recoil, I guess I didn't notice much difference between the brake and the can. The HTI is already a light rifle so it may even help with recoil. The Elite Iron can suppresses it enough to certainly tell a difference.

Here's the Elite Iron can on my HTI:

And before you ask, yes, it's heavy as fuck, especially with a USO ER25, PVS30 AND a suppressor... Guessing ~36-40lbs.; rifle is 26lbs. alone.

If you need rings, I'd look long and hard at the Badger SASR rings. IMO they're better than dedicated 6 bolt .50 rings. These are dedicated .50 rings too, for the USMC, but one has a 4 bolt cap and the other has a 6 bolt cap, they're made of steel and fit super snug. They also allow use of all the specialty caps that Badger sells, like cosine levels, backup sights, SIMRAD mounts, etc.