• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

50 cal bmg

soldado13m

Private
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2010
HEY IVE GOT A AR 50 WITH 32X NIGHTFORCE AND BARRETT BORS SYSTEM
I WAS WONDERING WHAT IS THE ACCURACY DIFFERENCE IN THE LEADERS OF 50 CAL BMG PRODUCERS IM IN LOVE WITH MY SET UP BUT IM JUST CURIOUS IVE FOUND THE BOLT GUNS ARE MORE ACCURATE THEN SEMIS SO THAT KINDA STUFF DONT MATTER TO ME

Re: 50 cal bmg

I know it is easy to get excited about 50's, but you should turn off your CAPS key so people don't think you are shouting.

In general, the accuracy difference between rifles will have far more to do with the ammo used, than the rifles themselves. .50's are notoriously finicky about what ammo they will like or not.

The AR-50 is an excellent entry level rifle to get into the sport. The biggest drawback to the AR-50 is that they are all made with a very long throat. It is hard to reach the lands and keep the bullet in the case. That said, they will shoot quite well, even with the bullet jumping a significant amount. You will get the best results by hand loading. A good place to start is with 215-220gr of H50BMG behind an AMAX bullet, or 220-225 gr. of VV24N41. If you want shoot 800gr solids, then pick up some VV20N29.

If you want a ton of info on 50's, you should join the Fifty Caliber Shooters Association. www.fcsa.org

cool sorry bout the caps i shoot hornady a-max i was just kinda curious my set up is perfect for me thank you

lrs50bmg is right on the money. Long throat is an understatement.
I can't push the round out enough to find the lands without it
leaving the case.

I have shot Barret's ammo through it, then switched to handloads
due to the price. Standard ball tips, AP tips and AMAX pretty
much makeup the round types now.

I don't recall the seating depth right off the top of my head,
but I do recall I use 240gr of Hodgdon 869 powder to drive the
750gr AMAX rounds with. Again trying to do this from memory but
I believe the velocity on that setup is around the 2650-2750 fps
mark.

The AR-50 is a very accurate entry level rifle if you develop the ability to do your part. I have seen one produce a 3 shot group @ 100 yards - prone that will readily cover the group with a nickle. In the area of LR & ELR they readily seem to be able to get the job done with a good shooter on the trigger. You may need to do some work to the base to be able to utilize the full range of MOA travel of the sight to reach out at the extended ranges, within the supersonic range of the bullet.

Good Shooting & Welcome to the Hide!

Aug ><>

Aug ><>

the farthest ive been able to seat

amax 5.75"
legigh 808 6.1"
tenx 795 6.2"

get some amaxes and slow them down to about 2650-2700 with some h50 bmg and dont shoot anything else until you shoot out that barrel then get a bore rider throat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stenger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get some amaxes and slow them down to about 2650-2700 with some h50 bmg and dont shoot anything else until you shoot out that barrel then get a bore rider throat. </div></div>

I agree. 215gr. of H50BMG will give reasonable accuracy in most platforms. But to really get all the accuracy out of the 50-a borerider chamber is the way to go.

Hey a couple of buddies and I were thinking bout getting a 50. Which one would be best?
Ar-50
Tac-50
M82A3
or what?
We've been saving up for a while so price isn't an issue unless its over 15 grand.

If price isn't an issue and you're going for accuracy, I'd go TAC-50 just based on things I've read. And possibly the Desert Tactical HTI when it comes out in Q4 given you could also get the 375, 408, and 416 conversions. Now for pure fun I'd go with the M82A3 as a semi-auto 50bmg would just be an absolute blast to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B&W21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey a couple of buddies and I were thinking bout getting a 50. Which one would be best?
Ar-50
Tac-50
M82A3
or what?
We've been saving up for a while so price isn't an issue unless its over 15 grand. </div></div>

If your upper limit is 15K, don't discount the AIAW50. I had a Barrett M99. It shoots quite well for the price. My current platform is the WindrunnerM96. It's about the price range of the Tac50.

I have to recommend joining the FCSA so you get access to the member's forum. IMO the FCSA is full of a bunch of beauty queen prissy sissy drama, but you can draw all of the info you need to get you started with your first year of membership there.

Personally I would (and did) hire a gunsmith to build you a single-shot on a trusted-to-perform action like the mcmillan or BAT actions. Have him stick it in the stock you prefer - Manners offers a nice stock. and outfit appropriately with your favorite scope, bipod, brake, barrel, etc.

There is so much research to be done to decide on the appropriate build options you really need to do significant research before hiring the build done. There are a lot of other things to consider than you would in a normal rifle build. Dropping to a repeater action will decrease accuracy more than it would in a lesser caliber, there are a TON of different chambers since there is no SAAMI spec and you need to know how much time you want to invest in reloading/shooting before you decide on a chamber. You wouldn't want to have to turn the neck of all of your cartridges if you just want to plink - likewise you wouldn't want sub-par accuracy if you expect the absolute most out of your rifle and yourself and don't care how much time you spend prepping brass, etc.

If I was going to just buy a box-stock rifle it'd be either the AIAW50 if you can afford it or the TAC-50.

Edit: I don't think I can recommend the windrunner anymore. Apparently they've dropped quality considerably from the rifles they were producing. This was a recent change, but until they re-prove themselves I think I'd keep my distance.

Totally forgot about the aiaw50...that'd be my first choice, but I think you'd be really close or over the 15k once you got it in your hands and outfitted it with an appropriate scope/etc.

I have two .50bmg rifles. A Bluegrass armory and a Windrunner. For me the Windrunner shoots very well. I have no doubt that other platforms out there shoot well also.

Before ordering my windrunner I narrowed it down to the Tac50 and the Windrunner. I decided on the Windrunner because it gave me the option to change calibers by just changing the barrell.
I got my new windrunner in April. I do agree there were some issues the gun but once they were fixed it does shoot well. I modified my Windrunner bi-pod to make it similar to the cheytac. But, improved it farther.

I hand load all my ammo. It shoots a little under 1/2 moa (cbc brass neck turned weighed.....,hornady a max, 225 grains of h50bmg at 2650fps)

I have shot it out to 2300 yards and it does well. I am going to order a Barrett .416 barrel for it.

Here is the rifle Modified
P1000584.jpg

shooting 2300 yards
P1000569.jpg

shooting 1900 yards
Photo0030.jpg

Nice modification on the bipod. Also, awesome rangfe you have there. Just send you a PM.