• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

50 cal bolt action-

I just recently got my 50, I didn’t find the recoil to be too bad. But I get the thoughts on it. I’d still tell you to get one.
I have a 338 Lapua and the costs on that round is what I’m having issues with right now!!

My .50 recoil isn't bad at all. There is ferocious muzzle blast and noise, but I don't notice the recoil any more than any other big bore. If you're on a budget, get a Noreen. They can be had for under 2K. If you want the most value for your money, get an Armalite AR50 for around 3.2K. If money is no object, get a Lynx.

My Armalite AR50 in a McMillan Army return stock.
dscn5693-jpg.7896497

No worse that a 12 ga shotgun. The 50 bmg pushes more than kicks.

I disagree, unless you are talking about a lightweight pump shooting 3.5 in turkey magnum loads... maybe. The AX50 ELR bolt gun I was shooting had a brake almost as big as a coke can and it still sucked to shoot. I wanted to like it because the size of the bolt, magazine, and round is super impressive. After 7 rounds I was past done, it just was not fun to shoot. My buddy that shoots a ton was done after 5 rounds.

Now I do shoot air rifles a lot as well as 300 Blk subsonic, so maybe I am getting soft. But like I said, I also shoot as much as 80 rounds of 338LM at a time out of my fairly lightweight TRG42 and don't have a problem.

My AR50A1 is a push more than a kick. It clears your sinuses as well as your neighbors shooting bench. But the recoil is far from what I would call heavy with 660 and 750 grain lead
IMG_2805.jpeg

Serbu here. Recoil is less than a lightweight 300 win mag. But the blast is fearsome. I prefer earplugs and muffs.
It feels more like launching a payload when you see an API or INC (blue tip) and it hammers steel. We shoot it at the farm on July 4.

I bought a Noreen ULR. Weighs 35 # stock, I strapped another 10 pounds to the bipod rod. Last time I had it out it’s recoil was less then the 1903 with a steel butt plate I had been shooting. Shoots factory Hornady 750 A-Max ammo under 1 MOA.

Get a 50, it’ll put a smile on your face.

I've not shot an AI50, but I can tell from pics that the AI50 muzzle brake is about half the size of the AR50. Also the ports of the AI50 are at 90 degrees while the ar50's are angled.

ai50
OIP.OTUG2t1fjfp8owua3_om9QHaHa
ar50
R.5b00e1abaaee34f0431ce5b6502feee1

Last edited:
Reactions: ToKeepAndBear
My 50 brake on the EDM has a slight angle on it but the rifle weighs 40 pounds so that helps.
6CC71959-4F53-4EEE-8B9F-61A2C6E67F27.jpeg

The brake on the Barrett 416 has a sharper angle on it and it feels about the same as my AI 338 in regards to felt recoil, at least to me.
58643437-8408-476B-9B46-8A3960B2407B.jpeg

Reactions: ToKeepAndBear
Serbu here. Recoil is less than a lightweight 300 win mag. But the blast is fearsome. I prefer earplugs and muffs.
It feels more like launching a payload when you see an API or INC (blue tip) and it hammers steel. We shoot it at the farm on July 4.
I had a Serbu BFG 50 (bolt gun). Recoil was more than the Armalite mostly due to the weight. However the quality of the Serbu was night and day different from the Armalite

The AR50 feels like a smooth/safe/well tuned 50. It feels like a quality piece with a decent trigger and very smooth action. The scope base has machined recoil lugs fitted tight to the action. Everything about the AR50 just feels and shoots like you got your moneys worth. Uses Wilson barrels. Also adjustable for LOP and cheek weld

The Serbu feels like it was welded from drain pipes. Shitty action. Mine hung up on the trigger hammer. Which had to be manually pushed down to get the bolt closed. Trigger was about 10 lbs from factory. 30 moa base came backwards. The base mounts with holes and standard bolt/nut setups. Which has a ton of play. Was an absolute pain in the ass to turn around as a standard wrench wouldn’t get inside the “scope rail” or whatever they refer to that god ugly raised chunk of steel the picatinny rail mounts to. We put mine on a cnc and pinned the base in after finding the actual center of the rail.

I know some who own the Serbu semi and say it’s decent. However there’s a lot who had extraction issues and what not with theirs as well.

But as far as a single shot 50 just for fun the AR50A1 is unbeatable at its price point. I paid $2700 new for mine a few years ago. Comes with a GGG bipod as well.

Paid a bit less for the Serbu and I wouldn’t recommend a Serbu even at a $1200 price point. Certainly wouldn’t use that breach plug design for any price

Stay away from Vulcan, Hesse, blackthorn or whatever they’re called. See those show up used from time to time

The AR50 uses a Remington 700 trigger which is good and be upgraded with any aftermarket Remington 700 trigger. I have a Timney match trigger on mine. I like the AR50, it's a great value.

I had a State Arms Big Bertha.. IT was Bolt action single shot shell holder design.. Recoil on it was not bad but the rifle was porky and had a massive brake..

Attachments

• db3.jpg
    db3.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 20140109_152159.jpg
    20140109_152159.jpg
    537.5 KB · Views: 66
onlt .50 I've fired was an AI AW50. that was back in 2007, and thinking about it still gives me a chubby.

shooting it was quite comfortable, felt recoil was no worse than my 243 - but spotting for my shooting partner was absolutely brutal, every shot was like a punch in the face from a pro fighter.

if you get the opportunity to shoot one, do it.
if you get the chance to own one definitely do it.

a few weeks back a dudw at one of my clubs was letting people shoot his AI AX in 6.5 manbun, felt very similar, but nowhere near as much of a chubby generator

I had a Serbu BFG 50 (bolt gun). Recoil was more than the Armalite mostly due to the weight. However the quality of the Serbu was night and day different from the Armalite

The AR50 feels like a smooth/safe/well tuned 50. It feels like a quality piece with a decent trigger and very smooth action. The scope base has machined recoil lugs fitted tight to the action. Everything about the AR50 just feels and shoots like you got your moneys worth. Uses Wilson barrels. Also adjustable for LOP and cheek weld

The Serbu feels like it was welded from drain pipes. Shitty action. Mine hung up on the trigger hammer. Which had to be manually pushed down to get the bolt closed. Trigger was about 10 lbs from factory. 30 moa base came backwards. The base mounts with holes and standard bolt/nut setups. Which has a ton of play. Was an absolute pain in the ass to turn around as a standard wrench wouldn’t get inside the “scope rail” or whatever they refer to that god ugly raised chunk of steel the picatinny rail mounts to. We put mine on a cnc and pinned the base in after finding the actual center of the rail.

I know some who own the Serbu semi and say it’s decent. However there’s a lot who had extraction issues and what not with theirs as well.

But as far as a single shot 50 just for fun the AR50A1 is unbeatable at its price point. I paid $2700 new for mine a few years ago. Comes with a GGG bipod as well.

Paid a bit less for the Serbu and I wouldn’t recommend a Serbu even at a $1200 price point. Certainly wouldn’t use that breach plug design for any price

Stay away from Vulcan, Hesse, blackthorn or whatever they’re called. See those show up used from time to time

I have had a Vulcan for more than 20 years. Single shot shell-holder bolt. Weighs a ton.

Shoots just fine. In fact more accurate than my M82 Barrett.

They got a bad rap when they came out because they were inexpensive. Lots of apocryphal stories about how they would blow up. None of which I could ever verify. But in the early days of BMG… anyone shooting an LAR Grizzly (had one of those, too) or a Vulcan or a remove-the-bolt gun Was looked on as a poor. (And we were!!)

Vulcan is so heavy that recoil is a shove.

Muzzle-blast is like being at a Who concert during a space shuttle launch at Hiroshima. And that is with a big brake.

.50’s are not hard recoiling.

Now a .458 win Mag guide gun built on a Springfield with a sporter stock and no scope…. They kick.

A .50…. Not so much.

Sirhr

Armalite here too and love taking it out on occasion. Recoil is mild but concussion is significant.

My .50 recoil isn't bad at all. There is ferocious muzzle blast and noise, but I don't notice the recoil any more than any other big bore. If you're on a budget, get a Noreen. They can be had for under 2K. If you want the most value for your money, get an Armalite AR50 for around 3.2K. If money is no object, get a Lynx.

My Armalite AR50 in a McMillan Army return stock.
dscn5693-jpg.7896497
You can be my company commander any time, sir.

Reactions: buffalowinter
The recoil is... brutal. I find 338LM shooting 300gr SMKs and E-tips very manageable, 750 Amaxes not so much!
My Barrett 99 wasn’t brutal at all. I could shoot all day with it if I wanted to. Spent many days at Thunder Valley shooting before he stopped letting them

Armalite here too and love taking it out on occasion. Recoil is mild but concussion is significant.

The blast can be brutal if I’m shooting for a while. For those long sessions I built a portable blast shield.

I have had a Vulcan for more than 20 years. Single shot shell-holder bolt. Weighs a ton.

Shoots just fine. In fact more accurate than my M82 Barrett.

They got a bad rap when they came out because they were inexpensive. Lots of apocryphal stories about how they would blow up. None of which I could ever verify. But in the early days of BMG… anyone shooting an LAR Grizzly (had one of those, too) or a Vulcan or a remove-the-bolt gun Was looked on as a poor. (And we were!!)

Vulcan is so heavy that recoil is a shove.

Muzzle-blast is like being at a Who concert during a space shuttle launch at Hiroshima. And that is with a big brake.

.50’s are not hard recoiling.

Now a .458 win Mag guide gun built on a Springfield with a sporter stock and no scope…. They kick.

A .50…. Not so much.

Sirhr
This is one of the cases. There’s a few more since if you search for them. Bolt lugs sheared off

When you get it.........

Don't be the dude at 100 yards, under the shed roof, concussing everyone while missing consistently at 1 gallon milk jugs.
and def don't be the dude who rents a Barrett single shot at a 100y indoor range

i'm sure they make enough from dudes renting it but my god what a joke

• Wow
Reactions: Bender
and def don't be the dude who rents a Barrett single shot at a 100y indoor range

That doesn’t sound fun……

We have a 25/50 yard indoor range here in MI that rents an M82 😂 absolutely bonkers. I asked why? He said for the experience!

When you get it.........

Don't be the dude at 100 yards, under the shed roof, concussing everyone while missing consistently at 1 gallon milk jugs.
Definitely this

Indoors? I assume you’re kidding.
Nope, totally serious. I’ve rented a .50 for one shot before. Don’t care that it was loud inside, it was awesome and I’d do it again

We also have a 25 yard indoor range that permits 50 bmg. Thankfully, they do not rent one.

The only 50 cal I’ve shot was a Barrett semi auto. Recoil was a big shove. The blast was enough for me not to enjoy it. I fired a few shots to say I did. I wouldn’t care to do it again.

Was at the indoor range that I've posted before here in Utah that lots of people thought was fancy. Rented a few handguns to try to see what my wife liked. Still don't have something good for her. She was about to shoot the last few rounds on a zev when somebody 2 lanes over shot the rented Barrett m82. 25 yards with a red dot or holographic sight on it. No heads up or anything. Wife went into flight mode. Swept the loaded gun across me. I got it from her before she booked it. I have brought it up to them that they need to warn people on both sides before something like that.

It should be a rule that all other shooters have to leave the range until after the 50 is fired. :)
Or at least warned and have confirmation that everyone understands what’s going to happen. When I got my .50 shot the RO went to every lane and warned people that something big was going to be shot. And, of course, after it went off there was still someone who freaked out. But fuck them, they were warned

Wonder how they rate an indoor range to handle 50 cal.
Over been in ranges where someone has fired one without notice and it is starting.
But it’s not that bad really.
I always inform the line if I’m getting ready to fire.
But that’s just me.