• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors .50 GI...Anyone have one?

Switchblade

muf kin poser
Minuteman
So there I was, looking at gun stuff on the 'net AGAIN...
MAn, that Guncrafter INdustries .50Gi looks like a real fun pistol. Anyone have one? Likes? Dislikes?
I am definately liking the thing just from the study of the website

www.guncrafterindustries.com

cartridge_1_500.jpg

Re: .50 GI...Anyone have one?

what are the numbers on it? should rename it fat bastard

That severely rebated rim bothers me for something in a tactical weapon. It's a force multiplier on the slideface/boltface.

That's a major contributing reason to why the 50 Beowulf snaps off boltheads.

I remember reading about the round maybe 5 months ago, it has great penetrating capabilities and throws a very heavy bullet around 900 fps.

It's like a 45auto with a 300gr FMJ instead of a 230 FMJ

Whatever the weight of the bullet, that thing gives you that much of a better chance of severing a nerve, the way I see it.

Looks good to me. Except, after shooting 45 ACP for so long, I think I'd prefer if they had a 230 gr version with the exact same powder load. That and 2500.00 USD for a pistol is even more ridiculous than those custom rifles people are selling for 4K and up.

guess I should start hunting deer with a 45-70 since it has a better chance severing a nerve vs my 308!

.475 is for pussies...A 300 grain bullet? Don't you have a broom you can use instead?

If you aren't pushing a .50 500 grain out at 1,100 fps that delivers close to 1,350 ft lbs from a 4" barrel, you might as well be watching a Kevin Costner movie with your sister. Your .50 has to make a 45 LONG Colt (not some dinky .45acp) look like a 9mm.

Switch, I thought you were after a smaller package than this? You sure you want to get us rolling down this hill?

Bullshit RollingThunder I can push the 475 faster an load it hotter because of the adjustable gas system and 3 lug bolt show me a .50 that can do that there isn't one Sorry to burst your bubble lol!!!
all in good fun man

Don't tempt me....don't make me do it....500 grain .50, 4" barrel...nope, not some S&W monster truck either...

The only round that 'ol Johnny Taffin said

"Not only is this the case but I also found myself taking such a beating that it was not unusual to become physically ill from shooting the big .500. My normal procedure was to shoot the test rounds early in the morning and in every case I found myself needing to lie down and recoup by afternoon. I cannot emphasize enough that this is a serious cartridge and not a revolver to be purchased for braggin' rights. "

.475 is a great gun if your after swans, or need to start a race.

THose are great numbers!

Stripped mine back out, not fair to Switch...

He is asking a great question.

Wiki...

Performance
The .50GI operates at pressures comparable to the .45 ACP, around 15,000 psi (100 MPa). Interestingly, felt recoil is also similar to the .45 ACP. The .50GI has quickly developed a reputation for accuracy, though this is due in no small part to the extreme precision with which the semi-custom and very expensive Guncrafter pistols are produced. The 300 grain (19 g) JFP (jacketed flatpoint) produces a 25-yard group of 2.24 inches, and the 300-grain JHP (jacketed hollowpoint) and 275-grain JHP produce a 25-yard group of only 1.14 inches.

The penetration and delivered energy of this slower round is about the same as a .40 Smith and Wesson and .45 ACP cartridge. Despite its .50 caliber size, <span style="color: #FF0000">it is a far cry from the .50 Action Express and .500 S&W Magnum in terms of ft·lbs;</span> however, it offers the practical use of a large caliber projectile never before seen in a semiauto handgun. Factory loaded ammunition has an impact force which ranges from .40 Smith and Wesson to lighter .357 Magnum rounds, topping out just below the 500 ft·lb mark. Impact force can be increased with judicious handloading as evidenced by the Guncrafter Industries' website, which has suggested loads that push the cartridge into the realm of the .44 Magnum. Increasing the length of the barrel can also possibly increase velocities with a commensurate increase in ft·lbs of energy.

The cartridge is mainly used in independent law enforcement and personal defense, as its high cost and limited availability hamper wider use. Currently, the only commercial handguns available in this caliber are Guncrafter Industries' own Colt 1911 handgun variants and its Glock 21 / Glock 20 conversion upper.

Ballistics
300 gr (19 g) JFP, 700 ft/s, 350 ft-lbf
275 gr (18 g) JHP, 900 ft/s, 495 ft-lbf
300 gr (19 g) JHP, 860 ft/s, 493 ft-lbf

Switch, I'm thinking nope...

so what is the offical velocity and bullet weight of this thing?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">guess I should start hunting deer with a 45-70 since it has a better chance severing a nerve vs my 308! </div></div>

I was reffering to a handgun against human targets. Rifles have a lot more energy than rifle bullets so it's somewhat of a different paradigm.

At least that's the way I see it. If you're limited to 900 fps then you better takes out as much as you can through the permanent cavitation.

Here:

45ACP%20230gr%20FMJ.jpg

M80.jpg

I got a chance to shoot one of these after the Pro-Am last year. With the "light" loads it was fast and easy to shoot, with easily as much thump as a .45. We were shooting Pepper Poppers and the light loads knocked the crap out of them. The heavy loads were stout but were not hard to shoot at all. They knocked the crap out of the steel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teleos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Looks good to me. Except, after shooting 45 ACP for so long, I think I'd prefer if they had a 230 gr version with the exact same powder load. </div></div>

Force = pressure x area

The same bullet and same powder load is going to produce a weaker load.

As far as penetration, you're essentially right. But I think it's safe to assume it'll swiss cheese an unarmored torso the same. Calling it a "weaker load" would be false.

Force = Mass x Acceleration

Pressure = Force/Area

As far as penetration is concerned an object's weight in pounds (it's mass x acceleration caused by gravity) gives you force, which you divide by the diameter^2 to get the sectional density in pounds/square inch.

I have one of their pistols. I like it quite a bit. I bought a couple boxes of their hollow points but havent taken it out to see what it will do to ballistic gel...

Cool pistol. especially when you pull it out and people think its a 45. then you drop a new 45 round down the barrel and it hits their feet. That face is priceless... they are like WTF!?

ill post some pics of it tomorrow

Oh, it has nothing to do with the small .45, that's a done deal.

I have had this Safari Arms Matchmaster with a Springfield slide for a long time(it currently resides in a drawer covered in a light coat of oil on a few rags at my Pop's in Nor-Cal).

Basically it is one of these, but seriously custom fitted and massaged by me with words from Doug McDougall, and Mac Scott to it's devastating accuracy

full-bigdeuce.jpg

It's big, has lots of horns, and basically needs serious updating for a low riding thigh side patrol gun when out hunting(where it always was back in the day).
I been looking at either replacing it(yes, with a .50GI Model 2) or trying to convert it to the 50GI. Guncrafter doesn't make a swap kit for a heavy duty 1911 frame so the swap is out of the question for the time being. My guess is I can 'frankenstein' a swap to the bigger caliber, but really don't want to do that on anything I own.
Basically I think I am just lusting after the Model 2 and will see if selling all the other pistols will make enough to go for it.
.41 Mag ballistics from the 275gr jhp at 890fps...
I haven't heard of any case seperation issues, but then again, I am just starting to really look hard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teleos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as penetration, you're essentially right. But I think it's safe to assume it'll swiss cheese an unarmored torso the same. Calling it a "weaker load" would be false.

Force = Mass x Acceleration

Pressure = Force/Area

As far as penetration is concerned an object's weight in pounds (it's mass x acceleration caused by gravity) gives you force, which you divide by the diameter^2 to get the sectional density in pounds/square inch. </div></div>

Don't know why I typed force, I meant pressure. The point is that the same powder charge in a larger area will give less pressure and less velocity.

Oh I got you, the bore volume vs the powder charge. Not sure how much a difference it would make in a 5" pistol, though. I wouldn't go with a 6" 1911 for and extra 30 fps (I'm sure that numbers way off).

I didn't mean bore volume. I meant case volume.

A 230 grain bullet in .50 caliber is going to be shorter than a 230 grain bullet in .45 caliber. The case is larger as well.

The same powder charge and the same weight of bullet is going to result in LESS velocity in a larger case, even if all other factors are held constant. Thus pressure = force / area

Increase area, lower pressure for the same "force" (powder charge). This means lower velocity, even in the same length barrel.

Does anybody make these outside the custom realm? Not looking to drop 3k on a 1911.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't mean bore volume. I meant case volume.

A 230 grain bullet in .50 caliber is going to be shorter than a 230 grain bullet in .45 caliber. The case is larger as well.

The same powder charge and the same weight of bullet is going to result in LESS velocity in a larger case, even if all other factors are held constant. Thus pressure = force / area

Increase area, lower pressure for the same "force" (powder charge). This means lower velocity, even in the same length barrel. </div></div>

I was under the impression that a larger diameter, shorter, bullet would be faster as the charge has more surface area to push in the same distance creating an overall increase in velocity.

I think he's talking about the powder charge from the 300 grain bullet pushing the 230 grain bullet, not the powder charge from a 230 grain .45 pushing a .50 bullet? That would result in a pretty darn fast 230 grainer. You could probably push the 230 grain faster though, but I'm not postive. Pistol rounds are a bit different than rifle rounds when it comes to case capacity since the pressure levels are normally way lower. Generally pressure is your limiting factory, not case capacity.

If memory serves me, re rifle ballistics, if one moves from a 308 to a 338 the same weight bullet goes faster with a similiar charge. I would think all things being equal, if one uses a 230gr .45 and a 275gr .50 as comparison, the 275 slightly edges out the .45.

I really like the 41 MAg ballistics in a somewhat standard .45 frame...may have to look at the .45 Super for conversion. Nice numbers with a 230 Gr @ up to 1200 FPS. I wold assume a jhp would really cook too!

Big, Slow and thump, big, fast and thump, either way, .45's, 50GI's all look good to me, but man that Model 2 50Gi is just a nice piece

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teleos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anybody make these outside the custom realm? Not looking to drop 3k on a 1911. </div></div>

Doubt it, but if you want to play with the caliber the Glock 21 conversion is only 595.00. Pick up a 21 for around 400 and you're into one for under 1K. Just won't be as pretty as the 1911.

Nothing is as pretty as a 1911 done right, especially when it sits on the lower back of a naked Red Headed Asian Stripper with a sweet butt and a nice rack.

Was playing with MS Paint and came up with this for the future update of the Safari Framed 1911 I have. BAsically a little dehorning and new Novak sights. It already has the grips

after2.png

From all teh research and contact with Alex at Guncrafter Ind. The 50Gi is a pistol only unless you have one of those butt ugly plastic toy guns. SO with that said, the Model 2 will have to wait, BUT, it will only run about $350 to convert the .45 to a .45 Super. Of course if I really want the 50GI, I will eat teh raman and save the money up.
Basically I just need to find a real job

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like the 41 MAg ballistics in a somewhat standard .45 frame...
</div></div>

10mm with either handloads or DT ammo?

I wonder what it'd be like to create a .50 caliber cartridge that a 1911 could fire and eject that had a 40,000 PSI pressure ceiling and wasn't based on .45 ACP pressure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was under the impression that a larger diameter, shorter, bullet would be faster as the charge has more surface area to push in the same distance creating an overall increase in velocity. </div></div>

It's like when you increase the barrel length. Since the volume is greater with the wider bore, the gases will expand more.

He was referring to the effect where seating a bullet deeper increases pressure and velocity. I don't reload and confess I don't know anything about this (the increased velocity, at least).