• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

50 MOA Possible?

Enoch777

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2018
I am planning on running 50 MOA worth of elevation in my mount set up on my Tikka T1X .22LR. The scope is a Vortex HST 6x24x50 which is listed as having 65 MOA of travel. The question is will all this work together and still be able to dial in at 50 yards as a minimum or possibly less? Also if it is possible will it still have good clarity in the optic at that range? I’ve read that could be an issue as well.

No it won't. 65 moa of travel means 33 up and down. The most I'd go would be a 30moa scope. You could push it at 40 maybe... but 50 would be too much.

My vortex AMG on a 40moa basically maxes out almost.

Reactions: JKW70
☝️What he said, and thats assuming your zero would be close to the center of the erector, which it likely won’t.

Agreed. I was running 45 MOA on my Tikka with Viper Gen II (70 MOA of travel). With the turret was about 3 clicks from running out of travel with Polar Biathlon to get a 50 yard zero. I ended up going back down to 35MOA because anything slower gave me issues.

Thanks guys! You saved me the hassle of mounting and remounting. So with the 30 MOA base I have, what max distance am I going to be able to dial out to with my scope in your best guesses?

I am planning on running 50 MOA worth of elevation in my mount set up on my Tikka T1X .22LR. The scope is a Vortex HST 6x24x50 which is listed as having 65 MOA of travel. The question is will all this work together and still be able to dial in at 50 yards as a minimum or possibly less? Also if it is possible will it still have good clarity in the optic at that range? I’ve read that could be an issue as well.

You'll be able to get 450 ish before you get into the tree depending on scope height. That's the reason I went with the Strike Eagle it has 110 moa 55 up-down I went with a 40 moa base built my own rings with 20 moa 1" forward center at a 1.9" height. Now heres the problem my zero is up 12 on the top tree at 50 yds with 4 clicks of adjustment left. At 100 I'm up 4 but , I better not get a bent barrel. But I have 106 moa on the dial and 40 in the tree it gets pretty confusing if you forget to drop the 12 moa up front 200 yds out this gets you 615 yards with 1070ish ammo after that its Kentucky time and your eye quickly gets distorted looking at the bottom of the glass.

• Love
Reactions: sinister
You'll be able to get 450 ish before you get into the tree depending on scope height. That's the reason I went with the Strike Eagle it has 110 moa 55 up-down I went with a 40 moa base built my own rings with 20 moa 1" forward center at a 1.9" height. Now heres the problem my zero is up 12 on the top tree at 50 yds with 4 clicks of adjustment left. At 100 I'm up 4 but , I better not get a bent barrel. But I have 106 moa on the dial and 40 in the tree it gets pretty confusing if you forget to drop the 12 moa up front 200 yds out this gets you 615 yards with 1070ish ammo after that its Kentucky time and your eye quickly gets distorted looking at the bottom of the glass.
Thanks for the detailed info, it helps tremendously! Also thanks for helping me with all the great heads up and deals on ammo. I truly appreciate all the help I received from you, and all your time and effort!!

Reactions: Rimdenter
With 35MOA between the base and the rings, I can dial out to a little over 375 yards. Using the reticle I can get a little over 400 yards. I think my next step is going to be going to a Strike Eagle like Rimdenter said so I can get a little more travel.
I have been itching to try a rimfire ELR match, and if I do I will likely swap out my Viper before then and put the bigger inserts in my rings so I can dial out further.

With a razor gen 2 or strike eagle i can run 60moa between rail and spuhr and still zero at 25y

But they have ~30mil travel