• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

50 Rounds at 350 Yards

BillOH

Private
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2017
Ohio
I had been shooting at a 15" square steel target at 350 yards, but I had a few misses. I put a big paper target behind the steel to catch the misses. I shot my Vudoo with 18" Ace barrel, Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50 scope and shot SK Pistol Match ammo. I had 40 out of 50 hits on the steel with most of the misses just over the top. I had 17 mil of elevation dialed in. The wind was a little twitchy. :) There is one real high hit and a couple just off each side. Most of the hits are in a group that is about 10 inches wide and 15 inches tall. Chrono data: Average velocity was 1081 fps. Low was 1065 and high was 1103. ES was 38 and SD 8.

IMG_3381.jpgIMG_3384.jpg

"Average velocity was 1081 fps. Low was 1065 and high was 1103. ES was 38 and SD 8."

That is good results for any rimfire ammo. and good shooting on the steel at ELR.

Reactions: BillOH
Maybe it is time to up the ante on the 6x5 challenge to include 300y?, how about 400? We are shooting these distances (300) at the PRC matches. Could set up a 4x8 ft sheet of plywood painted white with six bulls of suitable size for aiming?

First time I shot at 300y, I could not hit the 4x8 sheet of plywood on the tgt backer, lol. We do get better at doing the things that we practice often.

Irish

It was a beautiful day with very little wind so I decided to shoot some more 50 at 350. I shot Midas first. I dialed in 17.0 mil elevation.
Average velocity was 1082, low 1063 and high was 1098. ES 35 and SD 7. I had 42 hits on steel. all 50 shots were in a group 22" high and 10" wide. 45 shots were in a group 15" high and 10" wide. My windage was a little off so there were 3 hits on paper just off to the right that would have been on steel if I had corrected the windage.

Next was some Eley Tenex. I had a couple of boxes left over from when I was trying to make my 10-22 a target rifle. ;)
Average velocity was 1132, low 1117 and high was 1162. ES 45 and SD 8. The 1162 was a one off with the next highest being 1148. It took a bit to get on target with the faster ammo. I ended up with 15.0 mil up. This was a much rounder group than the previous targets. 45 shots were in a group that was 12" high and 14" wide. I was surprised at the velocity because the box said 1075. The wind switched on me and I had some left hits. Wish I had caught that and corrected. That would have been a nice target. :(

The Tenex clearly shot the best, but at 3 times the cost of the SK Pistol, is it worth it. The Midas, also at 3 times the cost, didn't do much better than the SK Pistol.

IMG_3404.jpgIMG_3409.jpg

Nice- have you tried SK's new Long Range Match? It might be worth a go for that distance.

At first I was like "Why is this guy excited" then I saw the forum and MV. Nice shooting for sure.

Reactions: Near miss
Wow I have a decked out 10/22 that I put a Bartlein on way back on the group buy I need to stretch it out. It probably doesn’t have 100 rounds down the barrel. To much PRS shooting

50 at 350, SK Long Range. I fired 70 rounds over the chronograph, High was 1142, low was 1083, Average 1101, EX 59, SD 11. I fired 50 rounds at the steel target at 350 yards. I think there were 46 or 47 hits on the 15"x15" steel target. All hits were in a group about 17" tall and 14" wide. Wind was pretty light today and didn't cause any problems. I think I'm getting better at shooting this distance. The SK Long Range might shoot a little bit better than some of the previous ammo. Or I'm getting to be a better shot. I don't know if these are good groups or if they should be smaller if a good shooter was shooting. It's fun. :) I can see the splash on the target before I hear the ring of the hit. You can see that the paper target behind has caught a lot of misses. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_3534.jpg
    IMG_3534.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 94
Do you see a trend in speed along the string? My 40x will start slow and pick up some speed and level out. 15 seconds between shots? Start with a cold, but fouled barrel. The speed difference is worth maybe a mil at 200.

Do you see a trend in speed along the string? My 40x will start slow and pick up some speed and level out. 15 seconds between shots? Start with a cold, but fouled barrel. The speed difference is worth maybe a mil at 200.

I sometimes find the first cold bore shot to be faster than any of the following rounds. I've also found that often the faster rounds will hit higher and the slower rounds will hit lower. I haven't found any trends other than that.

My wife shot 50 shots at 350 yards today. I think 150 yards was the farthest she had shot before today. :) It was pretty windy with it switching around. Vudoo with SK Biathlon.

Attachments

• IMG_4180.jpg
    IMG_4180.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 119
That wind gets tricky out past 300 for a 22 doesn’t it

Wind is funny at our range. For the first 75 yards it comes from the right over an open field through a fence line of trees. Then out to about 275 yards a woods slows the wind down. Then out to 350 it is open on both sides. Flags go all different directions. My wife held center for all shots. She saw a few go low where the dirt kicked up. There is a dip from 175 yards out to 300 and the bullet is traveling several feet above the dip. Interesting. ;)

IMG_4236.jpg

I shot this today at 350 yards. The wind was pretty blustery. :) I held anywhere from dead on to a full MIL off for the wind. I think I'm starting to catch on. I learn every time I shoot.

Reactions: fredfish and STex
That’s awesome. Really want to get into the rim fire game for training. Looks like so much can be learned at a much cheaper cost than centerfire. Nice shooting!

IMG_5148.jpg
IMG_5149.jpg

I did 50 rounds at 350 yards again today. Very little wind. I used my Vudoo with Night Force scope and 2 different lots of SK Biathlon. Each target was shot 50 times. The IPSC A/C target has 50 hits. The Pepper Popper has 4 or 5 misses and 3 shots that dropped below the group. I'm learning all the time and I am pretty happy with these groups compared to what I've done in the past. :)

IMG_5620.jpg
IMG_5621.jpg

Another round of 50 shots at 350 yards. It was a little cooler, so I put an extra minute of elevation in for the first mag. I had 2 misses off the shoulder and the rest of the mag hit around there. I took the minute back out and put a couple clicks left and I ended up with 48/50 hits. The IPSC A/C steel is 12 inches wide. The chicken is at 325 yards and I had 16/20 hits. Vudoo, NF scope, SK Biathlon ammo.

Love it! Great shooting.

At that distance can you still hear the impacts on the targets?

Bill, Great shooting! I'm shocked at the number of hits your getting with your Vudoo. The targets keep getting better (and smaller)! Very impressive! Which trigger do you have?

Love it! Great shooting.

At that distance can you still hear the impacts on the targets?

Thanks.

I have electronic ear protection. ;) The IPSC steel will ring when hit. I shoot, watch and see the hit and then a second later I hear the ring. With my 10-22, I can get 2 shots off before I hear the hits and sometimes 3. I've never gotten up to 4. With hits anyway. :) Fun times. The chicken does not ring. I can see it sway when hit.

Bill, Great shooting! I'm shocked at the number of hits your getting with your Vudoo. The targets keep getting better (and smaller)! Very impressive! Which trigger do you have?

Thanks. I'm learning more about my part in the shooting. Consistency counts. :) I recently changed my trigger from a Calvin Elite to TT Diamond set quite a bit lighter. Both are good triggers, but the TT Diamond seems like it suits me more for my purposes.

I'm also getting pretty good results with my 10-22 and Anshutz. People say a 10-22 isn't good for distance, but I'm getting a fair amount of hits with mine. Not as good as the Vudoo, but pretty good. I need a day with good wind to get these results. If the wind is switchy I have to hold off differently for each shot and sometimes I can't catch up. I don't post all of my results. :ROFLMAO:

Nice, are you able to see the trace/drop at that range?

I shoot often at this range ~ 320m.

Easy to see trace, but only with supersonic ammo.

Tried to see trace on a cloudy/humid/rainy day just yesterday, no dice. Me and my buddy shoot 2/3 ipsc target with CCI mini mags. About the same hit rate as the OP.

Another 50 rounds at 350 yards. I decided to cold bore this. There was a little wind and mirage. I set my NF at 15x so the mirage didn't bother me as much. The first 10 shots are on the lower right side of the A/C IPSC target. I adjusted the scope and then tried head shots which I missed 5. I held off and placed the next 5 on left side of the target with good elevation. I then held off a little and fired 30 shots at the Pepper Popper with all 30 hits. The circle of the Popper is 12 inches. Early Vudoo, NF 7-35, SK Biathlon ammo. I think I'm starting to learn how to shoot.
IMG_6428.jpg
IMG_6426.jpg
IMG_6427.jpg

Last edited:
Nice shady place to shoot from....that caught my eye first off. Just over 100*F here today.🥵

Good shooting too, BillOH

Another 50 at 350 with a twist. 2 different kinds of ammo at 2 different targets. I started with the IPSC target and fired the first 10 rounds while adjusting for windage and elevation. Then the next 20 or so rounds went into a group on the right side of the target that was about 5" by 5". I was happy with that. It was SK Biathlon lot # 0863. I got a case of it early last year before the shortage started. Probably none left anywhere.
frown.gif

Then I adjusted elevation a little and shot SK Pistol Match at the Pepper Popper. That group was 4.5" wide by 14.5" tall.

It was a nice day. Very little wind or mirage. About 75*.
IMG_6511.jpg

Another episode of 50@350. A buddy loaned me a 20" by 20" steel target and I set it at 350 beside my other targets. I got there fairly early before the wind picked up and worked with my 10-22 getting windage and elevation settings. I couldn't always hear my hits, so when I went downrange to paint, I was pleasantly surprised with the number of hits. I decided to try again. I videoed it but the ringing of the hits on the target are heard to hear. I loaded two 25 round mags and went to work. I could hear 2 and 3 hits and sometimes 4. On the second mag I concentrated harder and had at least one string of 5 hits in a row. The Kidd 2 stage trigger didn't hurt. When I went downrange I was surprised to find 49 distinct hits on the target with 50 rounds fired, so I was getting nearly all my hits. The video is over 2 minutes long, so be patient while watching/listening. Not much to see.

Edit/Delete Message
IMG_6600.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6603.jpg
    IMG_6603.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: mrt949
Purdy darn good. Wasn't that long ago we got eye rolls and snickers if we told people we were shooting stuff at even 200 yards. Now longrange 22 is the new fad.

I'm cheap, I shoot 5 times then multiply results times 10 to get 50. In another thread Bill said I need to learn to fan it to keep up with his 10/22. I need to practice that, might be hard to draw from a holster with the bipod though.

Topstrap

Last edited:
Ok so I stretched it 50 yards, and made it 400 yards even. Wind was at my back, and was very lite. Maybe 3-4 mph. I was a little bit high at first, and had to come down to 18.8 mrad. I then made contact. So one round doesn’t count. I then sent 50, and only 50. I counted 29 rings on the steel. I can see 30 shots on steel. So out of 51 shots, I hit the target 30 times. This target is 10”x10” I believe. Although the wind was mild, it definitely had an effect. I had to dial .6 mrad left, to stay even with the target. And when there was a lull in the wind, I’d miss right. I need a bigger piece of steel. For the 22lr.
D849AF7F-661B-4542-8D0E-7743DCE0E1B8.jpeg
4A0235C5-E723-47C5-9176-83626EDBAB4C.jpeg
ED8B32E9-A31C-4477-8FDC-5B7DF9F33C06.jpeg

350 yards again today. I was trying some RWS Rifle Match today. The first target is 10 shots with my Anschutz before the wind picked up. The second target is 50 shots with my Vudoo. The wind had picked up and was coming straight at me from calm up to 7+ MPH. I think there is a shot or 2 that went over the top. I kept adjusting for the wind. I think I learned a little bit about wind today. It sure does move that little bullet around. :)

IMG_6657.jpg

IMG_6658.jpg