• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

$500 max to spend what 308 bolt do you buy?

ooglassoo

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2011
Matteson IL
Like the tittle says, I have exactly 500 to spend. I want something accurate like a savage and upgradable like a savage. Remingtons are just out of my price range and I think the savages proform better. Is there any other rifles I should look at that are moa out of the box and upgradeable? By upgradeable I mean stock, barrel, trigger modifications. $500 would include shipping and transfer fee.

Re: $500 max to spend what 308 bolt do you buy?

either a Howa or a Savage will do the job. However, upgrades on the Savage can be done at home with simple tools.

Go to Academy and buy a Remington 700 sa ADL for $350. Trash the stock and barrel. Upgrade to whatever you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ooglassoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like the tittle says, I have exactly 500 to spend. I want something accurate like a savage and upgradable like a savage. Remingtons are just out of my price range and I think the savages proform better. Is there any other rifles I should look at that are moa out of the box and upgradeable? By upgradeable I mean stock, barrel, trigger modifications. $500 would include shipping and transfer fee.
</div></div>

if you have a dicks sporting good any where near rem 700 varmint in all calibers are on sale 499.99 with 50.00 rebate

or you can grab a rem 770 i don't know if their as upgradeable you'll have to talk to more experienced but you can grab one of those at walmart

Dick's still has the Remington 700 Varmint for $549, including a budget scope. Hard to beat that, but if you're strict about under $500 they also have a Remington 700 ADL SS for $479.

Of course, this is coming from a Savage guy... buy a Savage.

DK

What do you savage guys think about the 111gxp package rifle?

I'm sure the scope will leave a lot to be desired, as most scopes on combos are. The gun itself will most likely shoot well, after all it's a Savage.:) There will be a lot of aftermarket items for it, not as many as the Remington 700 though.

I can go to dicks and get a 700adl varmint for around 500 with a $100 mail n rebate. But I have the same rifle in 223 and it doesn't impress me compared to my buddies savage. He is consistently getting 1/4 to 1/2 moa with his hand loads. And that is right out of the box! I had trigger work done and replaced the stock with a cheap free flote stock. I can only achieve at best, on a good day 3/4 but most of the time moa or slightly larger.

From your original post, all the way to your last one... samey same.

Do yourself a favor, and stop trying to talk yourself out of the Savage, and just go get one and enjoy!!

DK

a used savage, rem brings too much used

A used Savage or Tikka is the route I would go.

The $500 Remington 700 Varmint package from Dick's is a pretty good way to go to stay under your budget.

It sounds to me like you have already made up your mind on what you would like to purchase. I would advise you to stay away from the package deals that Savage or pretty much any other company puts out because most of the time the optics, rings, and mounts that they use are crap.

I bought a Rem 700 SPS-Varmint in .308 Win about 3 weeks ago for $579 before some sale discounts at Bass Pro...discounts that were worth $214. Also, Remington has a $40 rebate for this rifle. As stated above, Dick's still has the $549 deal.

Now some here and elsewhere on the internet like to slam Remmy. Yesterday I put together several 3-shot groups with that rifle, using a Harris 9"-13" bipod and a basic Caldwell rabbit ears rear bag, that measured 0.19" to 0.25" using my hand loads and some Federal Gold Medal Match. The optics were one of my Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40s with a Z-Plex reticle and Leupold STD rings and bases. My goal was to understand the capabilities of the action and barrel...I'm planning at the very least to replace the stock, but at the moment, everything is as it came out of the box.

Now a good custom build will produce a rifle that can generate those results consistently regardless of temperature, barrel heating, etc and, of course, Rem would never warrant that it's rifles will produce this kind of results. Nevertheless, this is a helluva rifle to start with. FWIW, I have 3 Rem 700s, this one, a stock SPS SS also in .308 Win and an XHR in .25-06. I have no mods yet on any of them...they haven't shown me that they need them for their current uses. The SPS SS will produce 0.35"-0.5" groups with my hand loads and the XHR will do 0.5"-0.75" groups with hand loads. The latter two Rems were $600 rifles.

For full disclosure, I also have a Savage 116 FHSAK and a Win M70 Extreme Weather, both in .30-06. Both produce 0.6" or somewhat better groups with my hand loads. All four .30 cal rifles will produce sub-MOA groups with Federal Gold Medal Match as well as with nearly all the bullets I use for hunting.

Net, net, in my experience and opinion any of these three brands will produce good results for starters with Rem and Savage being the easiest to customize. I'd recommend you wait on mods and spend your dough on lots of ammo and practice a whole bunch to learn your capabilities and needs.

I used to shoot a good bit of military high power matches and was very happy when my M1 Garands would deliver 2-3 MOA and my M1A SuperMatch would yield 1.5 MOA. I'm a n00b at LR precision shooting and haven't shot at longer than 600 yards yet. For the moment, what I've got works ok but I'll be investing a bit as I develop. However, good shooting technique and knowledge of your load's ballistics will take you a long way.

My $0.02 and YMMV.

FH

I picked up a 700 ADL Varmint from Dick's last month for right around $500. It came with a Remington branded scope and Leupold bases.

It shot right around 1" at 100 in the factory plastic stock. I bought it because I needed a barreled action. However if you were just getting into the precision game, you could easily use that platform to learn the fundamentals.

Savage would be my pick - one with an accu trigger.

Savage would be my pick - one with an accu trigger.

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them. I have several Rem SPS, a few Savages and a single Howa. Fit and finish wise I'd say the Howa was best out of the box. They all shoot well and my only complaint with any is the Remington. I had to polish the bottom of the receiver in the mag box on a couple of them because they were rough and gouging the brass.

At that price range I would probably look around for a used rifle. Howa has made rifle for Sako and Wetherby so they can make a quality product but they don’t really seem to be used as much as the 700 action on custom rifles and it’s going to be hard to get accessories. Howa is a bit over looked most likely because they are Japanese

Have never heard of a jap made Sako or Tikka...

Try shopping your local pawnshops and calling gunshops for a used Varmint Special or PSS. They're out there for about $600 or maybe less. Might even find one with a scope. Offer the pawnbroker 30% less than the ticket price and be ready to pay cash. If a pawnshop won't deal on a used gun, you are in the wrong place...

Might also look on gunbroker.com and search on rifles selling in your state. Prices are often Very Good and if you can go pickup your rifle in person, even from a dealer, you'll save $$. If you buy from an individual, they might unload loading gear, ammo, case etc on you for just a bit more money... Just be sure you can recognize a rifle that isn't shot out. Be ready to spend several hours cleaning the barrel until no copper shows and then follow a break-in procedure.

This is where Im at guys, I live in MA where gun owners are looked at like criminals. Here pawn shops cant have guns or any type of weapons in them. Walmarts dont carry guns at all and most of them dont even have ammo.

Anyway with the rifle, I would like to stay with a Rem or a Savage because they are American made. That being said I think im leaning towards the savage. I have a dicks 700adl in 223 and am not a huge fan. The stock is crap, and accuracy is a pain to achieve. Also in the humidity of the northeast it keeps rusting, the thing looks like an oiled pig. So far it has taken me 3 months of tinkering in the reloading room to find a combo the 700 likes. Nosler 55gr ballistic tip B/T with 23gr of H335 and rem 7 1/2 primers. With that combo im getting 1/2 to 3/4 moa, but it has taken around 600 tinkering rounds to find that load. I have a friend that has a Savage 11f with a 1/9 twist that was getting 1/2 moa out the box. So I guess this whole rant was more of one big question then anything, Are the 700's that picky for everyone or is it just my skill level? Thanks for all of the input guys I appreciate it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ooglassoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is where Im at guys, I live in MA where gun owners are looked at like criminals. Here pawn shops cant have guns or any type of weapons in them. Walmarts dont carry guns at all and most of them dont even have ammo.

Anyway with the rifle, I would like to stay with a Rem or a Savage because they are American made. That being said I think im leaning towards the savage. I have a dicks 700adl in 223 and am not a huge fan. The stock is crap, and accuracy is a pain to achieve. Also in the humidity of the northeast it keeps rusting, the thing looks like an oiled pig. So far it has taken me 3 months of tinkering in the reloading room to find a combo the 700 likes. Nosler 55gr ballistic tip B/T with 23gr of H335 and rem 7 1/2 primers. With that combo im getting 1/2 to 3/4 moa, but it has taken around 600 tinkering rounds to find that load. I have a friend that has a Savage 11f with a 1/9 twist that was getting 1/2 moa out the box. So I guess this whole rant was more of one big question then anything, Are the 700's that picky for everyone or is it just my skill level? Thanks for all of the input guys I appreciate it. </div></div>

My experience with Remington is different than yours, as I noted above. Simply put, in 4 rifles covering a span of 35 years (my first was a BDL in .30-06 in 1976), my experience and results are uniformly excellent. I have also had excellent success with Savage...I recommend both the AccuTrigger and AccuStock. If your skill level is disappointing you, start with an NRA Basic Rifle course, and then buy a shyteload of ammo and practice.

Good luck, and,

Best regards,

FH

I ended up finding a savage 10fp on one of my other forums for 550. It has the accutrigger and a bushnell 4x16 scope. I have only seen pics of it so far but it looks damn good, I should be getting it this weekend. Im stoked
smile.gif

If you take your time you can find a nice rifle for $500. Certainly a Rem 700 will come along. Or you stay patient and save a couple more bucks and buy one thats a tad more tricked already!

Good luck!

try what some guys have done. buy a cheap stevens and a new shilen or similar high quality drop in barrel and a nice trigger and a decent stock and you will be pretty far ahead of the curve. you can get a cheap stock and upgrade or splurge a little and get a nice stock right from the start.

The savage should do you well. People that like them, love them. I almost got one for my first heavy barreled rifle, because they're claimed consistently very accurate these days it, but 700s generally are as well. If you don't get this one, and do go new either should do you well, it'll come down to personal preference, on both lines low end models the stocks are junk, and the x-mark or whatever rem trigger often feels fantastic but some pull deceptively stiff.
Off subject, you ever try lighter bullets in that .223? Figure you probably did, but if not you might try them, I think its 1 in 12 rifled.

savage will be your best bet. They shoot well and are easily upgradeable.

one of the many things I like about savage is the non-rotating bolt face. Helps for more consistent shoots. Pulling a bbl is fairly simple too.

I too vote for the Savage. The ones with the Accu Trigger are great imo. Too bad your Walmarts don't have guns because they sell a Savage Model 10 with the accu trigger, and a cheap scope for right under $400. That was going to be my suggestion and sell the scope, but I guess it's out of the question.

Another option is the Stevens 200's which are an older Savage Model 10 without the accu trigger and a cheaper stock. Then put a decent trigger in it, but by this time you will likely have more in it than just buying one of the model 10's with the accu trigger.

Stevens 200. I say this without hesitation. Sub-MOA with every one I have shot, highly upgradeable (stock, barrel, trigger, and everything else are upgradeable), friendly to the home gunsmith, and, most importantly, friendly to the wallet. I can get 'em for $250 where I live. Put the rest of your budget towards getting a quality stock. The stocks that come with the rifles are really crappy; they do work though and the rifle is still accurate even with the factory stock. If you do get one, check to make sure the barrel is free-floated. You don't want the stock touching the barrel anywhere.

When people argue which factory rifles are more accurate, the Remington 700 or the Savage 110, no clear winner ever emerges. The fact of the matter is that some rifles are ridiculously accurate and some are not. Some Savages shoot better than Remingtons and some Remingtons shoot better than Savages.

By the way, you will be especially happy when you get to the range and your "junky" Stevens 200 shoots as well as or better than some custom rifles. It always brings a smile to my face.

Have a good one!
-Fernandez

My local shop is selling new Remington 700 SPS Tacticals for $499. That would be my vote.

Savage with Accu-Trigger gets my vote. I am very impressed with them.

Okay, when the OP gets his Savage in I want to see pictures of it on here. I personally would have recommended the Remington 700, but that's just me. I've never had to do as much tinkering with the loads for mine as the OP did for his .223! Mine shoots like a dream, but then again it's a .308 too.
Anyways, I want to see pictures of the Savage when the OP gets it!!

Get a savage now and buy a remington or custom action later when you have the funding.
you can never have enough rifles.
wink.gif

Savage Model 10 w/Accutrigger... you won't regret it.

DK

I paid $479 for a Remington 700 Varmint ADL 2 years ago at Dick's. With a Sightron on top, I shot it out to 600 yards all stock. I saved my pennies and now it's pretty custom. Well worth the wait.

My Howa looked nice... but wasn't anywhere near the shooter that my Savage was. Even my FN-SPR wasn't the same shooter that my Savage was.

In fact, NOTHING that I have ever owned or fired has been close.

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ooglassoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ended up finding a savage 10fp on one of my other forums for 550. It has the accutrigger and a bushnell 4x16 scope. I have only seen pics of it so far but it looks damn good, I should be getting it this weekend. Im stoked
smile.gif
</div></div>

Congrats on the purchase, hope it serves you well.

Pics?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ooglassoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like the tittle says, I have exactly 500 to spend. I want something accurate like a savage and upgradable like a savage. Remingtons are just out of my price range and I think the savages proform better. Is there any other rifles I should look at that are moa out of the box and upgradeable? By upgradeable I mean stock, barrel, trigger modifications. $500 would include shipping and transfer fee.
</div></div>

I would spend 425 on a BAT bolt. Then spend the rest on a BAT action. As far as upgradable Savage is only 1 step up from Remington.

You may want to look at a Tikka T3. Extremely accurate. you may be a little out of budget for a new one. Lynn

Wait another 2 weeks and spend the extra 50 bucks on an SPS Tactical. If you can't do that, you should be worried about things other than tactical rifles.

I recently got a Thompson Center in the weather shield finish, .308. Shoots as advertised right out of the box. Was right at $500 with tax. Really nice adjustable trigger.

I did end up with the Savage 10FPLE tactical 20" bbl accutrigger/accustock. I took it to the range with some hand loads I had, the first three shots all touched each other @100. I took it out to 200 and was getting golf ball sized groups and under. I instantly fell in love with it, the one thing I would like to do is to put a muzzle brake on it.

Beef I have tried 52gr bullets, but I found a load my rifle likes. Nosler 55gr ballistic tip B/T with 23gr h335 gives me sub moa all day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nicholas306</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go to Academy and buy a Remington 700 sa ADL for $350. Trash the stock and barrel. Upgrade to whatever you want.</div></div>

That's what I did. I would have loved a tack driver right out of the box but skinny pockets forced me to be patient.