• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

500 S&W Magnum Load Info

btrautz

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2010
North Carolina
Does anyone have any good loads for a S&W 500 Magnum? I just got one and have shot 350 grain and 500 grain so far the loading dies are on the way looking for a good all around bullet and a deer hunting round.

Thanks

Re: 500 S&W Magnum Load Info

I load for a 500 S&W Encore and have gotten the best accuracy with Sierra 400 gr. SportsMaster bullets over H110/Win. 296 (1 to 1.5 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards off the bench). Since I load for a single shot, I don't crimp. If you're loading for a revolver, your gun's likes may very well be different.

I have a 500 with the 8 3/8" barrel. I have not done much with it for a couple of years but I ended up having the best luck with Hodgdon Lil' Gun and Barnes XPB bullets. I liked the 325 gr bullets best and I don't remember my charge weight off the top of my head but I believe I ran it over the chrony at a little over 2000.

When I had mine I loaded the 325 gr sierra JHPs over the minimum charge of titegroup, 10 or 11 grains going off the top of my head. Heavy crimp. Had the recoil of about your standard .44 mag load and was still capable of punching holes through poppers (old beat up ones) at 50 yards lol.

I cast and load everything from 385gr gas checked HP to 700gr gas checked HP/FP.
If your sticking with jacketed bullets remington sells bags of 385gr JHPs for 45 bucks.
The Barnes xtps shoot very good but expensive, the 275s will go 2000fps easy out of my 6.5".
If you need some loading info on certain bullets PM me with your email.
I have 4 500 and been loading for them for 5 years now.

Some different load data-

http://tinyurl.com/35ojz6n

I shoot the Sierra 400 JSP with a robust load of WW 296 if I want a full power load. I also have a lot of the Lee 440 (?) grain hard cast slugs I have not tried yet.