• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 500 yard RF - NIkon Prostaff 550 or LR 1200?

shaman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2008
Frankfort, Kentucky
I have emailed swfa and cameralandny for suggestions. They have recommended the Nikon Prostaff 550, and CLNY suggested the Nikon LR 1200 demos they have. There is not much of a price difference, and quite a bit of distance difference. the 50 is 6x and the lr 1200 is at 7x. Has anyone used either of these? Doug asked if I wanted 500 on steel or on game, and I don't know if I will ever get animals at 500 yards here in North/Central Texas hill country.

Re: 500 yard RF - NIkon Prostaff 550 or LR 1200?

It seems to me that the Leica 900 would be the proper choice. I got rid of a Nikon LRF and am about to buy a new Leica 900. A friend has the 900 and when we compared them side by side my Nikon was not even in the same league. I would look at the 1200, but I have no use for them. I do not shoot that far. Just my experience. Tom.

Shaman if you are just ranging out to 500 yards the Nikon Prostaff 550 does fine. I have one in my elk hunting kit and it works well for my late season Colorado cow elk hunts to fill the freezer.

Guns, will it range animals at 500, or reflective steel at 500? I would be ranging probably pigs or deer, and a opportune coyote if possible.

For Nikon or Bushnell, cut the advertised range in half and that is probably about what you can expect on game. Some individual units may do better but that is a safe bet. Leica, more like 75%. Terrain (rocks/trees) a little further.

My buddy and I bought identical Bushnell 1500s at the same time. Mine maxes at 850 on terrain, his at 1050, side by side on the same targets.

Any one that tries to range an animal or a soft target beyond a few hundred yards in my mind are fooling themselves..range a hard target next to the animal to get a precise range.

Guns, I am new to the past 100 yard area. 10/22s and SKSs at clay pigeons is what I have the most experience at, and wingshooting. I still have to question if 650 yards(ish) is worth the extra $30.

GO with the 1200....

Its better to HAVE it and NOT need it than to NEED it and NOT have it.

If its not a big price difference... just do it.

Matt.