• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

500 yards with .17 HMR?

SmallBoreSnipers

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2009
Troy, NY
My wife and I are relocating to Largo, FL on 3/1. The range I fired at here is 300 yards, which I have fired at, but the new range I will be at (The Wyoming Antelope Club Florida Chapter) is 600 yards. I made it a goal a while to get some rounds out there to 500. I've heard of guys doing it, and seen some videos online, but is there anyone here with experience at this distance with a .17 HMR?

Re: 500 yards with .17 HMR?

i think wind would be your biggest problem. much at all and that round will be all over

Let us know how it goes.

.17's have a nasty transonic zone, but they may stabilize by 500. Prob get lots of keyholes

I think the sound barrier is going to be your biggest problem. Under normal conditions, the 17 crosses the sound barrier right around 350 yards. The bullet is a boat tail, but I still think it is likely to destabilize as it drops below Mach 1.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the sound barrier is going to be your biggest problem. Under normal conditions, the 17 crosses the sound barrier right around 350 yards. The bullet is a boat tail, but I still think it is likely to destabilize as it drops below Mach 1. </div></div>

Wow. I though it would be a lot closer than 350 yards. It will be a while from now anyway, but I just wanted to get some input. I'll definitely lob some out there and post how it goes.

I've made 50% hits on a steel torso silohuette out to 400y on a very calm day.

I couldn't hear the hits unless I took my ear protection off.

Good luck with 500, I'd like to hear how it goes.

Shots to 300 were not difficult to repeat, at 400y they became very difficult.

Im sure you can get to 500 with out too much problems. The wind will be a big problem though. The wind really pushes those little bullets around a lot. Here is a group I shot with my 17HMR at 300 yards.
PB110024.jpg

500 yards will be a stretch,although not impossible.Conditions will have to be ideal IMO. Most I ever did was 200 yards and I was very pleased with the groups.
Im using a CZ 452 with Tasco Mag scope(nothing fancy).Gotta love the 17HMR. Would like to see some 500 yard groups.

Jack

I used to shot my 17hmr out to 300, it would seem to get a little dicey out that far. Groups were opening up significantly. When I ran the numbers I was finding that I was in the transonic range, and it seemed that the bullets were wobbling a bit or something along those lines making the groups open up.

Regardless, give it a shot. There are folks that are shooting the .22lr far beyond what others consider it's max range, why not try it with the hmr.

Branden

Damn Drumie that's a nice group. Well going on some ballistic charts my elevation turret will only get me to about 400 - 450. I guess after that I'll have to start extremely carefully adjusting the bipod height.

The little 17 grain bullet doesn't have enough mass to sustain the velocity/energy. As stated above, when the round passes through the sound barrier, the shock waves will make it dance.

I am very experienced at 200 yards with the 17HMR. The 300 yard group shown above has me convinced......... I gotta try that! Excellent shooting!

Drummie.....what were your "come ups" from 200 to 300 yards?

Flash

^ I don't know about him, but with a zero of 100 yards, to reach 300 I had to come up 48 clicks! (.25 turrets)

The rule of thumb for my Marlins is from 100 yard zero to 200 yard zero, come up 4 minutes or 16 - 1/4 minute clicks.

So......your 48 clicks (1/4 minute) from 100 to 300 yards minus 16 clicks for my come ups from 100 to 200 leaves 32 1/4 minute clicks or 8 MOA to come up from 200 to 300 yards. Is that about right?

OH....using 17 grain bullets, right?

Thanks!

Flash

That sounds about right using the 17 gr. From 100 to 200 I come up 14 - 18 clicks depending on the weather.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you guys are gonna talk me into getting one..... </div></div>

Then prepare to be hooked!

the only reason i don't have one now is that i'm starting to get involved heavily with silhouette shooting, which is restricted to 22lr. so whatever funds i had put aside in the gun fund has been put into a dedicated silhouette stick.

for hunting i like the .22 mag as it is less affected by wind and has fmj ammo so i don't cause too much tissue damage on turkeys. i'd like to see a .17 hmr fmj round for that.

i have shot alot of .17 from borrowed rifles and got some good data from the range guys that i know that they know how to shoot, they praise it except in wind around 8 mph and up which tosses it around abit.

i think the next gun fund is going towards a .17 especially after seeing all the pictures of targets in the .17 threads and in the rimfire comp threads.

^ I love shooting at 200 but it's a freakin monster at 100. For the 100 yard gong competitions I use a 2" spot (couldn't find 2.5") No matter what the wind is like, 95% of the time I still nail the 2" 25/25.

Those little 17HMR stinkers are amazing! At our club, we have a pit service. 1/2 of the shooters are on the firing line and 1/2 man the pits. Then we switch.

Hits are usually marked with 3" diameter spotters and a paddle shows the score for each shot. Bonnie and I found that we tended to follow the spotter disks instead of getting a correct sight picture so we ask for golf "T"s to mark our hits. We can see the "T" in the spotting scope but not in the rifle scope. We have a whole collection of splintered golf "T"s from two hundred yard competitions!

Here's how that works......Your last shot is marked with a "T". You get your sight picture and send another round downrange. That second round either enters the previous hole or very close and splatters the golf "T". It's a tradition for the pit man to retrieve the shattered marker for the shooter.

Hitting the head of a golf "T" at 200 yards. I don't know......could that be exciting?

Flash

What kinda scopes are you using??? once I have my 3x9x40 set I can hit a dime w/no problem @ 100 but it would be cool to hit a dime @ 200.

Bonnie & I both used Tasco 3-9x40mm scopes right out of Wally World. I wanted more power so I recently upgraded my 3 rifles to BSA 6-18 variables along with some stock changes. My rifles have Rifle Basix triggers. It's too soon to report if the changes were effective. Bonnie is stubborn and wants her rifle left stock.

We found the Tasco crosshairs were too thick and the magnification was too low for the kind of precision the HMR is capable of at 200 yards. 12X power is about right and 18X gets too dark.

The stocks on the Marlin 917V rifles are about as cheap and crappy as I've ever seen on a rifle! They used to have some checkering but even that has been eliminated.

I found that a replacement stock could be ordered right from Marlin that is exceptional in appearance and construction. The stock is $89, is gray and black laminated with a full floated barrel channel. It comes on one of their other rifles and you order it as a replacement part complete with trigger guard and buttplate. You can check it out on the Marlin website. Two of my rifles have those stocks, now.

On the third rifle (917VS Stainless model), I got a Richards Microfit Tactical stock and took an entire month to prepare it. I would NOT recommend that approach unless you have a ton of time and money to waste. It came out great, however!
================================================================

<span style="font-weight: bold">To Small Bore Sniper.</span>....what is that stock on your rifle? It looks pretty cool! Is it a standard Marlin stock with a cheek piece? There are VERY few options for replacement stocks for the Marlin 917V.

Flash

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROGER4314</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="font-weight: bold">To Small Bore Sniper.</span>....what is that stock on your rifle? It looks pretty cool! Is it a standard Marlin stock with a cheek piece? There are VERY few options for replacement stocks for the Marlin 917V.

Flash </div></div>

Yeah it's just the factory stock with a Karsten's cheek rest. IMO the factory stock is pretty cool looking already so I just went with that.

That is definitely KOOL! I recognized the front stock contour. Actually, the shape of the standard stock is really nice but I don't like the factory finish.

The stocks that I mentioned coming from Marlin are identical in shape and size to the standard wood. They are laminated grey/black, though.

Is your stock finish a paint?

I tried to post a pic of the custom stocked 917VS that I prepared. Couldn't figure out how to do it.

Flash

It's just the factory synthetic black stock. It's ok, but I've been thinking of doing a camo paint job. Haven't really decided yet. It looks gray in the pic, but everything is completely black. The lense covers, the cheek rest, everything. Just the photo lighting or something I guess.

SBS,

I'm going to have to break the news to you. The WAC range is only 100 yards. You have to go to Manatee if you want to go out that far, it's 1,000. The normal berm is 565 I think. You could see if you can break clay pigeons on it with the .17 though!

^ Yeah I found that out. When I gave a quick look at their site it said that the HP matches were held out to 600 yards. When I looked into the site more I learned they were using reduced targets. Manatee would be sweet but it's about an hour from me. Hernando is 1 - 2 hours from me and they have a 200 meter range.

You do see where I live right? Manatee is well worth the trip. The WAC is where you work up your loads, and Manatee is where you test them.

I bought a .17hmr last year, and havent even shot it yet.
Maybe I'll take it to the range now.
thnx...

i have ran all different types of .17hmr rounds through my savage. the federal seems to be best. cant wait to see what the ammo is being used just out of curiousity.

Sorry guys it's gonna be a while. All the ranges down here in FL are only 100 yards. I've fired out to 300 fairly easily back in upstate NY. I've gotta get down to Manatee, which is about an hour south of me. They go out to 1000 yards. I'm pretty sure I can get out to 500. It's just a matter of how huge the target has to be! I'll probably use a torso target and some Winchester V-Max.

Good luck with the shooting at 500. I look forward to hearing how it goes.

Last year I took my .17 out with a buddy. Clay pigeon n the ground at 500. I was able to put one dead center after a while and a hall a box of ammo. Wind was about 10-15 cross that day. Unfortunately he was spotting for me through his .308 rig and before I could say anything he obliterated it... I wanted it. For above the mantle!

Its entirely possible and accurate if you can call your wind right. b slow is a target at 400 yards showing three hits. Two touching on the right side, and one bullseye after I made my adjustments. 500 Yards was not a problem either, but it wouldn't leave marks on steel. My spotter was confirming good hits by watching the vapor trail (its tiny). I was using Hornady 17g bullets at the time, but I have since switched to 20g CCI FMJ and will be going back to the same range soon to try it again. The range goes out to 700 yards, but the .17 HMR is artillery at 600 so its pointless to try any further.

These were the only three shots I put on the target. I was using a ballistic program and know my rifle pretty well. All it takes is practice, practice, and a little more practice. Its great to have a long range like that one to get real world info for writing down hold overs.

100_0750.jpg

Shot with this rifle

IMG_7246-1.jpg

Thats some fine shooting and great wind call Gathert . Love my 93 in 17 .

Where I was shooting was in a slight valley with virtually no wind. Maybe 5 mph all day long. The shooting position was a little elevated from the targets so I didn't need to do any scope adjusting. I'm going to have my video camera next time I go to get vapor trails out to 700 with the big stuff and hopefully some hits with the .17 and .22 out to 300 yards.

i tryed a praire dog at 403 a few days ago just holding over (alot) and hit 6 inches to the right. My 93 17 never stops surprizing me

We're now officially located in Casa Grande, Az. for the rest of the winter, and they have a FREE 300 yard range close by. I had no trouble hitting out to 300 yard targets with my Volquartsen 17. Took the top off a coffee cup with the Cooper .223 too. Only time out, but will be going regularly if the wind stays like this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Carter Mayfield said:
I think the sound barrier is going to be your biggest problem. Under normal conditions, the 17 crosses the sound barrier right around 350 yards. The bullet is a boat tail, but I still think it is likely to destabilize as it drops below Mach 1. </div></div>

Not to beat a dead horse here, But the 17 will be loosing it's mach 1 status at 265ish @68 degrees. my ballistics software shows it going roughy 870fps at 350ds. Be that as it may I,m excied to hear the results at 500

Talk about grave digging........this thread was dead and gone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These were the only three shots I put on the target.</div></div>

May I be so bold as to ask how many you did not put on target?

Gathert, Where is the range you're shooting at located? Is it public or private range? I would like to shoot at a long range like that and I'm not to far from you. Appreciate any info. Thanks, Travis

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Talk about grave digging........this thread was dead and gone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These were the only three shots I put on the target.</div></div>

May I be so bold as to ask how many you did not put on target? </div></div>

Only those three. There were others at the same distance I shot at so I knew where to aim and wanted to make a few shots count. It was more of a lucky group, especially with the .17 at that distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jkmccoy11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone shoot a 17 hm2? </div></div>

I have a 10/22 that i converted to hm2 its a pretty fun little gun. not nearly as accurate as a bolt gun I would assume.

You Yahoos got me wanting to take mine out to 300 and 400. I have gotten to where i can punish tennis balls at 200 with mine but i may have to set a piece of steel out at 3 or 4 and see if i can hit it