• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship 500 yds #2 .308

WCW308

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2008
Central Idaho
As I had info & encouragement from SH shooters, & day off, I headed out again to try 500 yds #2, .Ed Brown .308 now with NF NXS 8-32, 168 SMK. NO wind, that I could tell.... 4:30 pm. 25 deg.

1st --orange dot -5 @ 250 yds. then a sighter (not shown) & 5 @ 500 yds. blue double diamonds. I wasn't sure of where I would hit on paper @ 500 yds, so I aimed between the 2 circles above the blue diamonds to hedge my bet of being on paper@ + 6.5 MOA.

Harris bipod, Tab bag. Load is RL-15., 45.0g, BR-2, Lapua 3x brass, resized F/L .335 bushing. I do not know about other high $ scopes, but with the NF, I could see every hole quite clearly @ 500 yds @ 32X.

Haven't used used the chrono-yet, but will... others posting Info about shooting & group size, etc. from my 1st post is appreciated!

I learned
1) pull trigger straight back, not to right-yup, I absolutely did on 1st 2-3.
2) push forward quite hard on the bipod to load it tight to shoulder- less jump.
3) Fill the .308 brass with powder

top target photo is 500, bottom is 250
[img:center]
308.jpg

308_168_smk_500yds.jpg

308_168smk_250.jpg
[/img]

[

Re: 500 yds #2 .308

thanks, just bought a 6X6" steel plate from osuarchitect. Think I can hit it from 500...going to let my son shoot at it 1st. He's a better shot, anyway....

I liked the 168SMK as long as I was not needing to count on them all the way out to 1000yd. I think now that I'm using the '06, the 168 may have potential even all they way out there.

Greg

STOP IT!!! IM JEALOUS!!! Im not to far from you and dont have the range like that around here. (not even 500 feet). I belong to Bell City and they only have 200. SO STOP OR IM GONNA USE THE GOLF COURSE NEAR ME (without golfers of course)
grin.gif
grin.gif

just kidding ya, good grouping though.

i have lapua brass and the 335 bushing seems to be the right one for me to

trigger pull is probably 90% of the accuracy IMO. I like a bipod on grassy areas , but prefer a pack. you should try some groups with both

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I liked the 168SMK as long as I was not needing to count on them all the way out to 1000yd. I think now that I'm using the '06, the 168 may have potential even all they way out there.
Greg</div></div>

I guess the 168 SMK is the .308 gold standard? Going to try the Lapua Scenars again, too...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperdude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
STOP IT!!! IM JEALOUS!!! Im not to far from you and dont have the range like that around here. (not even 500 feet). I belong to Bell City and they only have 200. SO STOP OR IM GONNA USE THE GOLF COURSE NEAR ME (without golfers of course)
grin.gif
grin.gif

just kidding ya, good grouping though.

i have lapua brass and the 335 bushing seems to be the right one for me to

trigger pull is probably 90% of the accuracy IMO. I like a bipod on grassy areas , but prefer a pack. you should try some groups with both</div></div>

Ah, the golf course-use a can on the front nine...! Thanks re the group- I am amazed at the accuracy possible, when I can barely see the paper @ 500 w/o optics, then to see a group in the middle...guess plenty here are used to LR accuracy-I am hooked tho....

No, probably not the Gold Standard; but it probably was before the 175SMK and like projectiles become popular. Until then, the USGI 173gr FMJBT was the mostly sole alternative that was really common, and it had quality control problems in its final production years. Many shooters prefer 190gr and longer/heavier bullets, but I'm not a fan of their added recoil or of their higher lobbing trajectories out of the .308. Too much time in flight for atmospheric oddities to work their evil magic.

Another approach is to go with a light, slippery bullet, like the 155gr VLD bullets, like the Palma SMK's, Bergers, and Scenars. To get the most benefit, longer (30" and more) barrels with slower (12"-14") rifling twists are most compatible.

Greg

Greg, thanks for the info. Longer barrels add velocity, I assume, not accuracy-correct? Seems like lighter bullets (155 g. scenar) w flatter trajectory, higher b.c. should do it vs lobbing 190's. Man, you have a lot of posts...SH is a great resource; lots of info ( & "entertainment")...

im having pretty good luck with the 155 scenars out of my savage with a 24" 1-10 twist bbl. Pushing them around 2900fps using varget and win brass. Im having better luck with those than the 175 smks, or 178 A-maxes. Though I gotta admit the A-max was a dang good shooter in my rifle, but the scenars got them beat in the b.c. and fps area. Just my experience. Good luck to ya!

Good to hear w the 155's. As soon as the guy in the brown truck stops by with more, I'll try the 155's again. Guessing your Varget load is around 47g? Here is a question regarding brass growth from multiple firings--New Lapua .308 brass measures 2.008". Fired measures 2.020" Published trim to is 2.015" max. (3-4x resized f/l firings)--How do you know if the fired brass is actually too long for the chamber-hard to chamber, etc? I am going to trim anyway, but curious. Can you neck size only-or is that a bad idea with the .308 loaded pretty hot? thanks.

I shoot .260/142SMK at 2800fps out of a 28" barrel. IMHO, accuracy isn't about bore length, but rther, the length allows substantial velocities without needing to hotload. It's mostly a matter of bore life (to me, anyway).

I've been here since the beginning, hence the gross accumulation of posts, guessing at least a decade's worth. Due to an early system glitch, our userid's/user numbers got scrapped, mine was originally #14.

Greg

Greg, thanks. Honored re the knowledge & appreciated. Guessing the snow up "there" is gone in what, late June....ha ha... hey -insert smiley here-if I knew how to do it you'd see one.

BW

Well, I'm currently sitting in the 'Snowbird Seat', Wintering at my Father-in-Law's place in Orlando, FL.

My Family is still up there, and they are unsympathetic when our overnights go down into the 30's. Let's just say they'll be seeing mostly white until late March. My Wife, Celia, and our Daughter, Jen do the baby/weather phone/photo/text/conversation thingie each day, once the kids are up and out. News will be news...

The smilie, etc., stuff is visible once you click the 'full reply' tab.

Greg