• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

50BMG powder in 300RUM?

mm509

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2010
Naches, Washington
Has anyone on here tried using 50BMG powder in replacement of not being able to get H870. It is really close on the burn chart. I am wondering what a decent starting point would be. I am wanting to go this route because I am to get a better case fill.

Re: 50BMG powder in 300RUM?

With 200 to 220 grain bullets, try 90 grains and work up. May be a bit slow but should be safe. Use magnum primers. JMHO

whats the load data you use for 870 and 862 and im pretty sure wiedner has plenty in stock

I've used quite a few 50BMG powder's in 338LM. It will work in a pinch for the 300RUM. Lower velocities for sure. You need longer barrel to take advantage of the SLOW powder. Most loads will be compressed or at least close to it-if you use a stick powder. US869 works very well and meters very nice.(ball powder) QUICKLOAD program is VERY useful trying to develop loads with non-standard powders. I really like Hodgdon Retumbo with large cases and heavy bullets.

PS: Widener's doesn't have any Military canister powder's in stock.

The powder is too slow and will not burn in even a 30" barrel. With that being said, you can still use it to load some cheap (and sometimes accurate as noted above) rounds. It won't give retumbo velocity, but it will also be easy on brass. Hard to KB a rifle with powder that slow also.