• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

50cal CQB?!!!!!

Bruiser_Joe

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2009
Hell
like seriously?
d819c3fc.jpg

they had like 6 pics of it like this
801173fa.jpg

Re: 50cal CQB?!!!!!

I see zero issues with this configuration for Law Enforcement. The M107 is perfect for taking out vehicles, defeating hard barriers, and for Law Enforcement engagement distances, the short barrel will allow ease of deployment. I've seen EOTechs run on the M107 (Coast Guard - HITRON) with much success.

i want to see someone other then the coast guard use this effectively

Exactly. That configuration is mainly for close range Hard Target Interdiction.

If you are hanging out the side of a Helo a long barrel isn't adding anything but weight. You don't have the stability to take a long shot. You just need to be able to hit a 10 MOA target and cause catastrophic damage.

I don't even want to think about running through a ship carrying a full sized M82 assembled.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Exactly. That configuration is mainly for close range Hard Target Interdiction.

If you are hanging out the side of a Helo a long barrel isn't adding anything but weight. You don't have the stability to take a long shot. You just need to be able to hit a 10 MOA target and cause catastrophic damage.

I don't even want to think about running through a ship carrying a full sized M82 assembled. </div></div>
Even with the short barrel and lighter optics that beast is going to be heavy enough if one were to run through a ship with it. The M82 has a much wider use range than just taking down hostiles so a short barrel would work for a limited class of buyers.

If you see zero issues with this then obviously you have very little experience with a 50 bmg. The short barrel with that brake aint worth giving everyone next to you a concussion inless you plan on putting a big can on the end of it.

I would almost think that anyone within the blast radius of a .50 BMG brake at full song isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and has no business being around even a .22

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

For anything else it seems about as impractical as a semi-auto 10 gauge. </div></div>

True, but how practical are most weapons anyway? When you view this as purely a man-toy I give it 2 thumbs up and a giant boner. We should worry about how we're going to justify these things to our wives...not a bunch of guys
wink.gif

Honey...we need to talk LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

For anything else it seems about as impractical as a semi-auto 10 gauge. </div></div>

True, but how practical are most weapons anyway? When you view this as purely a man-toy I give it 2 thumbs up and a giant boner. We should worry about how we're going to justify these things to our wives...not a bunch of guys
wink.gif

Honey...we need to talk LOL</div></div>

Lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sharfshutze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you see zero issues with this then obviously you have very little experience with a 50 bmg. The short barrel with that brake aint worth giving everyone next to you a concussion inless you plan on putting a big can on the end of it. </div></div>

...you don't REALLY think he had that set up to use for actual CQB, right?

It wouldn't be bad if it had more than an itty-bitty red dot as the primary sighting system.

Hey...Barrett needs to sell to a different market. I don't blame them lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GlockandRoll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could you imagine shooting that indoors w/no hearing protection. lol</div></div>

You'd only do it once and then you'd be a candidate for Clear Tone. LoL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GlockandRoll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could you imagine shooting that indoors w/no hearing protection. lol</div></div>

Could you imagine shooting it with ear protection, man it'd be loud either way.
eek.gif

Shooting the GAU-18 on the HH-60G PaveHawk is loud enough. Rattles my teeth. I do not want to imagine shooting any .50 in an indoor environment with single ear pro.

when you have to shoot bad people and everyone in the next 10 houses down!

Whats the longest LEO sniper engagement? Isn't it less than 200 yards? How many times is an agency really going to require a cqb 50? Seems like a big price tag for a once in a blue moon situation JMHO. However it would be fun to have one.
smile.gif

Most .50 cal rifles and ammo are not that accurate. If someone percieves a need for an anti-material rifle, something like this small red dot would seem more reasonable than a big heavy, high magnification scope. Optics help you see better, not necessarily help you shoot better. How hard is it to see a car? A bus engine? Not very. Putting a .50 cal round into a truck engine to shut it down would be easy to do within 200 with this setup.

I'm not a fan of this type system for LE use - too much potential liability in the case of a miss, but just because I don't see a need doesn't mean someone else doesn't have a use for one. It just seems like it is really expensive to use and practice with, and the range of uses is extremely narrow. Plus, frankly, I wouldn't want to practice with it much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i want to see someone other then the coast guard use this effectively </div></div>

How much heavier is it than the M60E3 or the M240? It kind of reminds me of the SRS but with a smaller barrel obviously, which makes me wonder why they wouldn't use an SRS instead...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

wink.gif

Honey...we need to talk LOL </div></div>

Well Said. I think that's the best thing I've ever read on here. haha

I bet that thing is LOUD, damn. I would think a LEO application for this is not an option, to much collateral damage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everyone can thank Big Joe for a new stage at The Grind. !!!!! </div></div>

HELL YES!!!! your welcome, hit a moving car with a aimpoint and a 50 and actually do anything other then fall over

im envisioning an 86' caprice station wagon with the steering wheel tied off doing doughnuts down the middle of the shooting lane while taking .50 carbine fire

I actually have that exact setup on my bedstand. See, I have read using a firearm in self defense can get you sued if the individual lives, so I want to take as little chance of that as possible. I thought a .50 with a T1 would be perfect.

I had a 24" awhile back .....all you would have had to to was shove it in the room and pull the trigger.... everyone would have been bleeding from the ears
First time we shot it , I think it jarred loose 20 years worth or rust and cobwebs from the gunrange roof , you could almost taste blood ...like getting punched in the face

I want.

It could be used as a torture device. Place terrorist 12inches perpendicular to muzzle and let er rip.

I noticed its got a laser all it's missing is flashlight bayolug and a built in riot shield.

I know the guys who were testing the rifle used in this article. The intent was, as some guessed, very specialized target interdiction. Fancy wording for shooting a vehicle to get it to stop. For those who say this never happens, it happened YESTERDAY if you check the news.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoen...spect-shot.html

Guy steals semi cab and rams a bunch of vehicles until police finally shoot the vehicle full of holes killing him. I would think something like this rifle deployed from the turret of a bearcat or an overpass into the engine bay would have been helpful. Same thing happened a few years ago in Dallas as well. Their SWAT team actually got ahead of the truck and had a .50 but Police HQ called in and told them not to shoot it for fear of collateral damage. A TX DPS officer ended up busting through the caravan of police cars following the truck (which left a trail of collateral damage in its wake) and fired off a full magazine from a M4 ending the rampage. I would take the potential "collateral damage" of one .50 cal round over a magazine of flying 5.56 rounds any day. Just my thoughts though.

Whatever happen to stop sticks to flatten tires. I can't imagine the police needing a .50 BMG to stop vehicles. I think everyone should own a .50 for fun though!!

Come on.... We Cops need some fun too
smile.gif

Besides... its all done in NONdiscretionary funding
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i want to see someone other then the coast guard use this effectively </div></div>

How much heavier is it than the M60E3 or the M240? It kind of reminds me of the SRS but with a smaller barrel obviously, which makes me wonder why they wouldn't use an SRS instead...

</div></div> I can't see it happening enough to justify giving it to them and them trying to use it to justify having it.

a 240b is 27.1 I think your barrets close to 24 right? I'm a hulk and I hate going in with a 240, only thing I can really do is hold a hall while they clear the rooms. I can shoot it standing but can't stand and hold down a hall. Generally if in a building they clear I follow and go take my point of responsibility facing outside. Sure was fun taking on patrol in afghanistan though.

umm you want the police using an m2 inside a city? personally I think suppression is unethical to use inside the USA, so therefore firing a .50 is too at civilians

I'm thinking yeah a m2 is easier to use on a pedastal then this, this isn't really more accurate then the m2 so I don't see the point either aside from easier to keep lubed/wet read all the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Memo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like to use it as a photo prop.

IMG_5007_web.jpg
</div></div>

You guys ever heard what MAH-BELL use to say?

As hot as that girl is I would throw her out of bed and sleep with the fifty next to me. Haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 78steeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As hot as that girl is I would throw her out of bed and sleep with the fifty next to me. Haha </div></div>
It won't talk back and and steal all your money either except feeding it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wildcats</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Memo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like to use it as a photo prop.

IMG_5007_web.jpg
</div></div>

You guys ever heard what MAH-BELL use to say? </div></div>

I'm not sure but I think the words I'm looking for are, "Menage a trois?"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JB Gleason</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know the guys who were testing the rifle used in this article. The intent was, as some guessed, very specialized target interdiction. Fancy wording for shooting a vehicle to get it to stop. For those who say this never happens, it happened YESTERDAY if you check the news.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoen...spect-shot.html

Guy steals semi cab and rams a bunch of vehicles until police finally shoot the vehicle full of holes killing him. I would think something like this rifle deployed from the turret of a bearcat or an overpass into the engine bay would have been helpful. Same thing happened a few years ago in Dallas as well. Their SWAT team actually got ahead of the truck and had a .50 but Police HQ called in and told them not to shoot it for fear of collateral damage. A TX DPS officer ended up busting through the caravan of police cars following the truck (which left a trail of collateral damage in its wake) and fired off a full magazine from a M4 ending the rampage. I would take the potential "collateral damage" of one .50 cal round over a magazine of flying 5.56 rounds any day. Just my thoughts though. </div></div>

Buck shot to the radiator works great for this. They've done it more than once out here. It doesn't take long for a motor to give out when it doesn't have any coolant. With buckshot you also have less chance of hitting something you didn't mean to. Just like everything else there is more than one way to skin a cat, this is just the one that they use out here if spike strips don't work.

I have never thought of a .50 as a CQB weapon. It's heavy and the ammo is heavy. For engagements out to a max of 200 meters why bother?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac62</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never thought of a .50 as a CQB weapon. It's heavy and the ammo is heavy. For engagements out to a max of 200 meters why bother? </div></div>

I think the idea is to market it for law enforcement.

That and some people just get super horny over anything 50cal...and if you can buy it with someone else' money...woohoo!