• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

50gr Hornady V-Max Black Hills Ammo -

steelejones

Private
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2011
Maine
Before you all tell me to get into reloading please answer me this. Have any of you used this grain and bullet? I have a savage 10 fp-sr .223 Looking for a factory match ammo that will be as accurate as I can get without reloading.

Curious your thoughts.

I have no use for something that light but our local store always carries it. Seems to sell pretty well here. I know they have over 1k rounds at any given time.

I've shot factory hornady 50gr vmax loads as well as loaded a bunch myself and I have always achieved good accuracy with the bullet. It's not what I would consider match ammo though, to me match ammo uses a bullet with a halfway decent BC to optimize LR performance. If you want to go out much beyond 200 yards a 50gr low BC bullet isn't your friend. If you find shooting groups at 100 yards exciting then it will work as well as anything else I suppose.

Before I started reloading, I used Fiocchi 50 gr Vmax ammo for my 223 bolt gun.
surprisingly accurate, and I still use it in my 16in 5r.
Id suggest buying an assortment of different AVAILABLE ammo and see what shoots best.
Black Hills 50gr shot so-so in my rifle and is expensive compared to Fiocchi

RedNeck,

My barrel is a 1/9 would you rather use a 69grain Match black hills for targets 200-700 yards?

69gr would be much better but will still be out of steam by 700 yards. I'd opt for the 77gr, it does much better at that distance and most 1:9 barrels shoot them just fine.

I have shot thousands thru a 12 twist 700. Very accurate in mine. White box blems too.Blue box or white if you do not reload em. Try some in the 9twist. May be quite good to 200yds.

I've run the 40gr Vmax out to 500(reloads) and would think factory 50s would do the same. Tried the 600yd with little success. Not exactly sure what your looking for but the 50s should kill yotes and ring steel to at least 400 if not 500. If your looking beyond that see above.

Cant tell you about Blackhills but I've loaded 55 vmax's and 52amax for my VSSF for years. Very accurate to 300 (never tried further) but the wind plays hell on the light stuff. Then one day about a year ago, on a whim, I bought a box of Berger 52gr FB Match. Havn't used anything else in it scince. Not sure if Federal even offers it in 50's gr (I know they do in the 69gr) but if they do, I'd sure give Gold Metal Match a try. I imagine it would use Sierra MK's though.

I have shot a couple hundred rounds of the stuff and it shoots great in my Daughters Axis and my RRA Predator Pursuit. Bought it cheap for the brass and it surprised me.