• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

510 whisper projectile weight

Bigchaza

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 7, 2012
AUS NSW
with an 18.5 inch barrel with a 1-9.5 twist what is the largest weight projectiles could you stabilise for sub sonic shooting

I don't know how accurate it is with subsonic loads, but according to the twist rate calculator on Bergers website you shouldn't have a problem stabilizing the 2.810" long 800gr Barnes bore riders.

Using cast projectiles figure the heavier they are the more momentum they have and why not get the benefit of the heavier projectile's impact. Would there be enough powder capacity in a 510 whisper to get a 1250 gr slug to 1050 fps

Last edited:
With that twist rate you should be fine stabilizing the vast majority of .50cal bullets available at subsonic speeds, including the 750 A-MAX. Longer 800gr solids may be a different story though.

I know guys shooting 750gr jacketed bullets through that twist rate with good effect. I know of others with 9" twist barrels shooting some 850's. Not sure who is making the bullets but they're all jacketed boattails. You can shoot long round nose up to about 950 because the weight is more forward so you don't need the spin rate so high for stability.

Frank

I know guys shooting 750gr jacketed bullets through that twist rate with good effect. I know of others with 9" twist barrels shooting some 850's. Not sure who is making the bullets but they're all jacketed boattails. You can shoot long round nose up to about 950 because the weight is more forward so you don't need the spin rate so high for stability.

Frank

so by the sounds of this i would need a faster twist rate to utilise heavier pill's, could anyone chime in as to weather this would be worth it, Running it through JBM ballistics it looks like it could be for the extra impact ft pounds and wind resistance

I think you'll be fine with the 800s, but beyond that why not just give it a try?

Ok will do any thoughts on getting a 1-8 twist ? Or would I just be urinating time and money up the wall

I would only consider a 1:8, which would probably have to be a special order custom barrel, if and only if a particularly heavy, long bullet you need to shoot isn't being stabilzed in your 1:9.5. That's really it. Like I said before, I think your 1:9.5 will be good for the vast majority of .50cal bullets.

No I probably don't but What's there to loose by using a heavier pellet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You want to optimize the weight of the projo with the cartridge and firearm. I'm with Dogtown on this one. Your 9.5 twist may be just fine for all the normal projos you can actually find. I wouldn't do the testing through a can just in case but fire some heavy stuff and see if it hits square. I've not seen any standard jacketed bullets heavier than 800gr for the .510 nd the problem you will more likely run into is not having a throat that will handle longer heavier bullets. I've tried loading some spotter tracer bullets in my rifles and if I seat them deep enough to chamber the powder is compressed and they go way up in pressure. The AMAX or other high accuracy heavy jacketed bullets will likely fit better but you'll have to check to see. 800gr slugs should be fine in 9.5" twist.

Hope that helps

Frank