• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

511 tactical watch with ballistic data or ???

K_4c

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 13, 2008
    Nebraska
    I'm looking at the 5.11 watches with the Horus ballistics program/data... has anyone used this item (if so please list the pros and cons)? Any other options that you would use instead?

Thanks in advance,

Kinnamon

Re: 511 tactical watch with ballistic data or ???

Only limited in the same way any ballistics calculator is: garbage in=garbage out.

I've had a couple and miss them. They work as well as any other Pesja based ballisitcs program.

I have one but have not used it, the ballistics calc that is since leaving Alaska. Accurate. Easy to use. In-putting data once you get the sequence down is very quick and it recalculates quick too. It calculates in mils but does not give "how many clicks" in mils only 1/8 and 1/4 moa how many clicks but do not really need how many clicks with mils.

The buttons are large and while easy to press they are not so easy to press as to accidentally input data with out wanting too.

I am on my second one as the compass function went un happy on the first one as I tried to set declination for KY. Pointed to 270 no matter what. 5.11 sent me a new one no questions asked without first receiving the broken watch back, I got to use it until new one arrived and had free shipping back on the broken watch.

I find it a little difficult to nav by as the display goes blank in compass mode rather quickly, hard to triangulate with a map, I guess to save battery, not sure why and never asked 5.11 but I use a standard compass for navigating. Depressing the button again brings compass function back to life though. Shooting a bearing is quick and easy.

Its very large in profile for daily wear.

I wish it gave time and date on the default display, Tues 0800 is what I see and I have to push a button to get Oct 12 2010.

I am very happy with mine but I got mine at a steal of a bro deal.

I haven't used this watch. But from my experience with flight computers (which are simpler to use than ballistic calculators) - those built-in in a watch are quite inconvenient to use - especially compared to normal-sized ones.

Considering the reviews the above 511 watch got on USCAV - I'd much rather go with Honkey's suggestion and take iPod Touch with BulletFlight or other ballistic program.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Considering the reviews the above 511 watch got on USCAV - I'd much rather go with Honkey's suggestion and take iPod Touch with BulletFlight or other ballistic program. </div></div>

Anyone in agreement that wants to unload a Field or Ti watch can toss one my way, they work just fine for me!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Considering the reviews the above 511 watch got on USCAV - I'd much rather go with Honkey's suggestion and take iPod Touch with BulletFlight or other ballistic program.</div></div>
    Anyone in agreement that wants to unload a Field or Ti watch can toss one my way, they work just fine for me!</div></div>
    If one already got this watch - making it working is probably a better alternative than unloading it to Sobrbiker.
    grin.gif

If on the other hand one is just contemplating getting something reasonably "wearable" with ballistic calculator capabilities - then based on the above information <span style="text-decoration: underline">and some rooted in experience common sense</span>, there are better alternatives to begin with.

And if you already set your mind on having a watch calculator - by all means enjoy it.

P.S. Sobrbiker, if you like this watch so much - why don't you buy one?
    grin.gif

P.P.S. I've yet to hear comments from anybody on the accuracy of that calculator.
    grin.gif

I have had 3. Currently I'm one of the 10+ percent of Americans whose income has all but vanished since late '08, so that's why I haven't "just bought" another. I think my last one was traded either for backup glass or 500 SMK's so I could continue shooting. I am in the market to horsetrade into another since my Palm Centro took a crap........since you asked.

Just shy away from the stainless model if they still have them, unless you like to feel like you are working out all day-that is one heavy watch!

The accuracy is as good as any Pesja based ballistics program, and like all the other, it depends on the quality of data entered to affect a quality output.
    I won't trust any ballistic calculator until I have tweaked it to match real world field dope under specific conditions, and even then I plan on quick adjustments for follow up shots in new AO's or conditions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had 3.</div></div>
    And got rid of all the three... Well...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Currently I'm one of the 10+ percent of Americans whose income has all but vanished since late '08, so that's why I haven't "just bought" another.</div></div>
    Very sorry to hear this. Been in those shoes in 2007. Thankfully, not now. Hope your situation improves. Heck, hope economic situation for all of us improves (at least November isn't that far off).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think my last one was traded either for backup glass or 500 SMK's so I could continue shooting. I am in the market to horsetrade into another since my Palm Centro took a crap........since you asked.</div></div>
    Understand...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had 3.</div></div>
    And got rid of all the three... Well...
    </div></div>

Have had category:
    -Aimpoints (3+), Eotechs (2+), R700's (a few), AR15's (a few), Glocks (4+), 1911's (a few), Savages (a few), AK's (a few), Chevy's (a few), Harleys (a few), etc, etc. Since they've all come and gone that must, by logical conclusion, mean they are all of inferior quality. If you haven't let something go you regret, or that you've wanted to replace later you are a freak of nature!

If you have had one and it didn't work for you, please share. Linking USCav's youtube reviews and standing on that.......c'mon.

Are there better ballistics programs? of course.
    Is it handy to have one capable of predicting your load's trajectory well enough for first round hits on torso sized targets within the efffective range of a 308 on you at all times (if you wear a watch)? Of course.

As I said, garbage in, garbage out.

The HRT model is heavy and harder to read than the Field Ops model. The only down side I saw for these watches beside the large size, and price of replacement bands that wear out, is the battery life which, lasted me about 6-8 months. As for the ability to put rounds on target with solutions it generated is pretty damn good. As has been stated your results will only be as good as the accuracy of the data put into the watch. Certainly a very handy piece of gear to have readily strapped to your wrist. They are much more durable than trying to use a PDA or your iTouch/iPhone in bad weather and holds up to moderately hard use.

Can't add anything to what Platypus said. Except that transparent plastic bags worked well enough for me to keep calculators out of harms way (haven't tried iPod yet - am going to as soon as my finances allow).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have had one and it didn't work for you, please share. Linking USCav's youtube reviews and standing on that.......c'mon.</div></div>
    Well, one reason to read those reviews is to learn from somebody else's mistakes. I for one don't feel obligated to try & repeat every one of them, just to make sure.

As I said before, I've had experience with watch-based flight computers - and decided that while they work it's <span style="text-decoration: line-through">inconvenient enough</span> not convenient enough to bother. This personal experience together with those negative reviews I saw allowed me to extrapolate that <span style="text-decoration: underline">I'm</span> better off with a different calculator. Thus - no I didn't/don't have one and have nothing personal/specific about this particular watch to share.

<span style="font-style: italic">P.S. Why would I consider having a ballistics calculator on me all the time when my rifle isn't accompanying me most of the time to most of the places? Fun factor? I figure that when I need to grab my rifle bag - it would magically have ammo, calculator, Kestrel and other useful things that somebody thoughtfully put there in advance.
    smile.gif
    </span>

The one I had was not durable, analog function (minute and second hands} stopped working after less than one year. Early model may have been improved; but still.