• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

556 in 223 Bolt Actions

Awag1000

Interstellar Weapon Systems
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2020
Eastern South Carolina
A question has been popping into my brain quite often lately. I know you can't shoot 556 in a 223 chambered rifle.
However with the knowledge I have on how much pressure bolt actions can handle before they turn into weaponized confetti. Would it really be that much of an issue to run M855 through a bolt action rifle?

Disclaimer: I don't know everything. I just know enough to get myself into trouble.

I’ve run IMI M855 through my R93.......backed out a few primers so I stopped, but it shot well accuracy wise.

I have run a TON of 5.56 in .223 chambered bolt rifles. NEVER had a problem. Some didn't shoot as well as regular .223, but some shot BETTER. The throat, leade, and pressure spec's are different between the 2, but the rifle and load determine what it likes. In an AR, it might be significant, but my bolt guns have never hiccupped.

I shot lots and lots of 5.56 ammo through 223 chambers before the internet said it was bad.

I don't think there has ever been a documented case of shooting 5.56 in a 223 rifle blowing it up.
There were AR's that did which is why the industry basically eliminated the 223 Chambering
I shoot Black Hills 556 77gr OTM thru my 223 Wylde chambered bolt rifle. Zermatt ORIGIN with a PVA prefit barrel. No issues.
Wylde was designed to shoot 5.56 so no surprise there.

I shot some through a remington 700 with no problems. Every chamber is different so try it. The safety margin on a bolt action is pretty good.

I have shot 5.56 ammo in my 700 a fair amount, because it used to be cheap, and never had any problems. Accuracy was definitely less than my hand loads, but that is to be expected.