• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 5r Chambering issues

jsthntn247

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2009
Mississippi
I was following a thread on another site about a problem a fellow was having with concentricity issues. He put a indicator on his brass and found it was 5 sided similar to his barrel. Someone found a post that Mr. Gritters had made a while back that described the issue he was seeing. The 5r rifling was causing the reamer to ride up on the lands and chatter the entire chamber. Is this a common problem with 5r or canted rifled barrels?

Gordy Gritters07-22-2011, 07:05 PM
MIT, I seriously doubt the reamer is the problem here. Measure the OD on the freebore section on the reamer, and if that measures OK the reamer won't be the problem. It may be something else, but you very well might be experiencing something I frequently see to one degree or another, especially in canted land barrels. Go in with your long-reach indicator and see if the free-bore section of the throat is smooth. My guess is it's not, which means you have experienced reamer chatter.

It's amazing how much reamer flex can happen in these chambers, and it's especially prone to do this in canted land barrels (it can do it in conventional land barrels also, but not nearly as readily). It will do it no matter how true you have the bore dialed in, how well-fitted the reamer bushing is in the bore, how carefully you feed the reamer in, or how big and expensive your lathe is. Carbide reamers are much stiffer and won't do it as bad, but most reamers are HSS and they will definitely do it!

I started seeing this unexplained reamer chatter phenomenon as soon as I started using canted land barrels quite a few years ago. I called the barrel maker on it a number of times, but he told me I was the only guy in the country he knew of who had seen this. I told him maybe I was the only guy who consistently measures for this all the way through the chambering process, but I see it to this day on about every canted land barrel I chamber. I still use and like canted land barrels, but I just know to be extra careful when chambering them.

I often demonstrate this in my classes (and will be showing this in-depth in an upcoming "Advanced Chambering" DVD) - I'll tell the students exactly when the chatter will start. I will be chambering along and the indicator shows absolutely no chatter whatsoever anywhere in the chamber. When the reamer is far enough in to start cutting the throat, we will then instantly be able to measure chatter through the whole length of the chamber. In every single case, when I can feel the reamer start to cut the throat, I'll tell them we'll now put the indicator in and see what happens - sure enough, we can now measure chatter beginning, not only in the throat area, but in the entire chamber. Usually its very minor and if you didn’t measure for it you’d never know anything was going on, but it’s there and can get worse if you don’t catch it in time.

Then I show them the method I now use to prevent this as much as possible - simply prebore the lands away clear to the end of the neck while you are pre-drilling and boring the body of the chamber. This allows the reamer to be completely seated (and now fully supported) before it finally gets to the throat area as it comes to full depth. When the reamer is fully supported and cutting completely before it finally picks up the throat way at the end, this really minimizes chatter problems.

Now if you have to cut a longer throat with a separate throating reamer after you've done using the main chambering reamer, you really have to be careful the chatter doesn't get away from you, since the body of the throater is completely unsupported. Both the throater and the chamber reamer will benefit by using the wax-paper wrap trick since this dampens the flex somewhat and will help keep you out of trouble.

I've tried quite a few things over the years trying to figure out what causes this and how to prevent it. In my opinion, what happens is the conventional land barrels have straight vertical sides on the lands, so when the straight vertical flutes on the reamer cuts into them, they meet square and there is no side pressure on the reamer flutes so they cut very nicely. But in canted land barrels, the lands are sloped at a pretty good angle, so the flutes of the reamer want to ride up the lands instead of cutting straight into them. Most of the canted land barrels are an odd number like 5 land/groove, so each time a reamer flute tries to ride up a land, it pushes away from that land making the opposing flutes dig into the grooves between the opposite lands (you can usually see this in a borescope if you know what to look for). Measure it and you'll see that the freebore is now 5-sided and not round!

This can happen severely enough that the effective diameter of the freebore section in the throat (the tops of the chatter) is smaller than the reamer itself. The reamer just flexes up and down in these grooves and flexes sideways just enough to form "lands" which is what you're measuring with your indicator. I've often seen it (and measured it) where the reamer chatter in the throat made the effective freebore smaller than the bullet diameter like you've seen here.

Check it out and see if maybe this is what you're experiencing. Hope this helps!

Excellent question and topic!

The silence REALLY makes me wonder if the smiths are afraid to admit they have the problem themselves, or don't want to spill the beans.

I KNOW of two smiths known to the hide, one of which posts here that understands this problem and how to avoid it.

That's all I'm saying. Looking forward to further conversation...!

Gritter's analogy is interesting. 5 lands and 6 flutes on the reamer makes sense. The only time I've had a chatter problem is with a solid pilot reamer and the pilot is way undersized. If one encounters this phenomenon with a removable pilot reamer, I'd say it needs to be sharpened or you need a larger bushing.

In the case of a solid pilot reamer, several times I've turned a nylon plug that is bore dia. with a point to stabilize the pilot. I know the concept sucks but it will stop the chatter.

To date I've chambered maybe 2000 5R barrels in the last 4 years. No problems like that. I will say not all reamers even of the same caliber, same manufacturer are equal. Each has it's own personality. Each requires a slightly different technique. I've worn out 6-338 Lapua reamers, 4-300 Win Mag, 5-308 Win and few 260's and 6.5 CM's.

Another thought. If this was systemic problem with canted lands or even an odd number of lands why the 9-12 month wait for a Bartlein 5r barrel?

UMMMM O.K. I'm going to say I don't think so! That the number or style of grooves doesn't mean anything. If the theory of the lands of the bore have the angles on the side of them vs. a barrel with conventional rifling that the conventional rifling will support the reamer pilot more doesn't make any sense. If I'm reading/taking the post correctly. If this were the case than a barrel with thinner lands even if conventional style would have the same problem. We've chambered barrels with conventional style rifling that have thinner lands then a 5R style rifled barrel.

We've made 6mm barrels with conventional 5 grooves with a 25% narrower lands than standard and no one had issues with chambering those.

I'll agree with what Dave says. Each reamer is a individual and can cut differently. We've used reamers and the way it cut we didn't like. Chatter, finish call it what you like. Sent it back to the reamer maker to have it reground etc....I've seen reamers where until they were used in a couple of barrels until they settle down. I've also seen reamers where they wouldn't cut to the correct size when new as well.

Don't forget the steel, type of cutting fluid etc...all plays a part as well. Was the barrel steel reheat treated/stress relieved again by the barrel maker all can have effects.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

I think Gordy has been teaching this for a while now. Personally, I have a hard time with the theory, but it's outside my limited experience.

There are a f#ckton of variables involved when we cut a chamber.

I have noticed reamer chatter or you might call it push off in the throat area while chambering 5r barrels. I have even seen it transfer back into the chamber if bad enough. When you cut a 5r barrel with a six flute reamer, there is no flute on the opposing side to offset the force of the land being cut. I can measure a small amount of deflection with an indicator which will result in and undersized throat.. I can usually eliminate this problem or drastically reduce it by using a pilot that fits the bore pretty tight. The problem seems worse with smaller calibers since the reamer is less rigid. I do not see this problem with 3,4 and 6 groove barrels since there is an opposing flute on the reamer to offset cutting forces.
I can't explain why some people haven't seen this problem. Maybe due to different chambering procedures, but I have encounter it and have a process that works for me to virtually eliminate it. I know one very well known builder that uses 5 flute throaters to finish his chambers with to eliminate the problem when chambering 5r barrels.

I have noticed reamer chatter or you might call it push off in the throat area while chambering 5r barrels. I have even seen it transfer back into the chamber if bad enough. When you cut a 5r barrel with a six flute reamer, there is no flute on the opposing side to offset the force of the land being cut. I can measure a small amount of deflection with an indicator which will result in and undersized throat.. I can usually eliminate this problem or drastically reduce it by using a pilot that fits the bore pretty tight. The problem seems worse with smaller calibers since the reamer is less rigid. I do not see this problem with 3,4 and 6 groove barrels since there is an opposing flute on the reamer to offset cutting forces.
I can't explain why some people haven't seen this problem. Maybe due to different chambering procedures, but I have encounter it and have a process that works for me to virtually eliminate it. I know one very well known builder that uses 5 flute throaters to finish his chambers with to eliminate the problem when chambering 5r barrels.

Seems my question might have some validity to it then. Not bashing 5r barrels at all, I actually asked the question because I will be setting in with the smith when he chambers my Bartlein next week. This question came up on another forum and a fella measured his fired brass very carefully with a mic and found 5 high ridges in it at the same angles as the lands in the barrel. He found this out because of high runnout issues and tight necks to the point he couldn't reach the lands in the rifling. It seems like this might be more common but just hard to detect.

Seems my question might have some validity to it then. Not bashing 5r barrels at all, I actually asked the question because I will be setting in with the smith when he chambers my Bartlein next week. This question came up on another forum and a fella measured his fired brass very carefully with a mic and found 5 high ridges in it at the same angles as the lands in the barrel. He found this out because of high runnout issues and tight necks to the point he couldn't reach the lands in the rifling. It seems like this might be more common but just hard to detect.

I have a hard time buying into this when cutting the chamber. The reamer is fully supported in the neck and body area. I could maybe understand it showing up in the throat area with too fast a feed rate and not enough RPM's but not in the body area. Using a seperate reamer on the throat is only slightly different as all my throating reamers have a clyinder section that cuts the freebore section so they are supported also although to far lesser degree. The way I rough in my chambers the body of the reamer is cutting before the throat starts cutting and then obviously the neck is cutting long before the final finished section of the throat is cut.

I do have reamers that I could use with no bushing and they're fine. Then I have reamers that require tight fitting bushings to manage their personality. I think it has more to do with reamers than rifling profile.

I also drill and pre-bore and my reamer also has a good portion of the body cut before the neck and throat start cutting. All that I can say is I have reamers that have done this on 5r barrels and not done in on 4 groove barrels. I have also reamed many chambers without using a pilot at all and not had any chatter in the throat at all but they were not 5r barrels.
Dave, I am not hear to argue with you or question your thoughts on this matter. I certainly respect your opinion, I am just telling people what my experience is. The main thing is that I can control it when it becomes a problem for me by using certain techniques.

I have also reamed many chambers without using a pilot at all and not had any chatter in the throat at all but they were not 5r barrels.

Don't want to start trouble (kinda) but please educate me. Pm me your phone # if you'd rather. This could wear out a keyboard.

How do you ream without a pilot?

The reamer will follow the bored hole whether there is a pilot on there or not. I would not ream a chamber without a pilot unless I was drilling and pe-boring. 580-471-3380

Dave, I am not hear to argue with you or question your thoughts on this matter. I certainly respect your opinion, I am just telling people what my experience is. The main thing is that I can control it when it becomes a problem for me by using certain techniques.

No problem here. An informed conversation or exchange of ideas is always welcome, even sought out. Agreement is not necessary. Give me a call sometime and lets compare notes. It seems we have a lot in common.

Whats the main attraction with 5R barrels? I have only had one and it was average at best. What am i missing? Lee

5r theory is good. Why make a juncture at the land and groove that the jacket can not fill? Lead bullets are a diff. story.

The problems with making any barrel are stress control and rifling/twist uniformity. If the blank is stressed, the bore diameter and hardness will vary. This variance will affect the uniformity of the button rotation or cutter in the case of cut rifling.

Granted the deflection is minimal, but it all adds up. Bottom line is the benefit of 5r comes down to ease of cleaning.

5r theory is good. Why make a juncture at the land and groove that the jacket can not fill? Lead bullets are a diff. story.

The problems with making any barrel are stress control and rifling/twist uniformity. If the blank is stressed, the bore diameter and hardness will vary. This variance will affect the uniformity of the button rotation or cutter in the case of cut rifling.

Granted the deflection is minimal, but it all adds up. Bottom line is the benefit of 5r comes down to ease of cleaning.

I think your kinda on to it but I don't feel it really has anything to do with cleaning. My 5R's and or my conventional rifled barrels I have on my guns don't clean any different in my opinion. I do feel the odd number of grooves and the gentler angle on the sides of the lands with the 5R style help to fight against bullet failure. The bullet jacket gets deformed less/takes a less of a beating when making the jump from the case into the rifling.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

The first thing I noticed with my 5R barrel (Bartlein if that matters) was the ease of cleaning. Of course, this was my first custom barrel and I'm comparing it to stock Remington barrels so that may matter.

I thought my 4 groove Krieger was broke, thing copper fouled so bad for the first 15 rounds that 50 patches looked like a smurf. After 20 rounds it settled down and now it barely even powder fouls. Hoping the new Bartlein does the same, as I expect it will.

I heard a old trick for that and used one time and it worked great, I was chambering a 7mm-08 and the chatter was horrible. I took the reamer and wrapped it with wax paper. It was the smoothest chamber Ive ever seen without polishing. my 02

I assume this is a lathe activity,, when your doing this work what supports the muzzle end of the barrel? I would assume that if your impacting 5 "hard" spots per revolution your going to end up with a harmonic in the rotating barrel Which could induce a small whip in the barrel, that might result in flex into the chuck?

Just curious I have NO idea if this could happen, I have used a lathe a fair bit but not for turning longer thing items like a barrel..

Just thinking the effect would be similar to chatter in the workpiece when a bit goes sour..

Cheers
Dave

Good point Frank, though I'd give velocity and twist rate more credit for bullet failure than land geometry.

Robert, You are correct. Twist rate and velocities do play a part as well and is often overlooked. That's why I say I feel the 5R/odd number of grooves where the lands don't directly oppose one another helps combat bullet failure. Bullets also fail because there is something wrong with the bullets themselves. They will vary lot to lot.

I won't say who the bullet maker was as I still shoot they're bullets. But I had a batch and was at a match and the bullets were failing/coming apart approx. 700 yards from the firing line. Had two bullets in a 20 round string for record come apart and not make it to the target . At first I thought it was the barrel (4 groove .236 bore 6mm. Chambered in 6mm Rem. and was throwing 105-107gr. bullets almost 3200fps). The barrel was starting to get up there on life. I figured the throat was getting rougher and the bullets were taking a beating. So I pulled the barrel.

Put new barrel on the gun. Same chamber, same loads etc...go to the range at a 100 yards do kinda break in on it and rezero scope. Go to the next match at a 1000 yards with the barrel only having like 40 rounds on it. One round out of 20 doesn't make it to the target again.

Went back to my old bullets I was using (different maker) and presto no failures. The other manufacturer I talked to them about what was going on. They sent me a new box of bullets. Guess what? No failures. Not wanting to be given anything I went to Sportsman warehouse and randomly bought a couple of boxes off the shelf. No failures. Went back to the one lot of bullets and tried them again. Guess what? Failure.

So that confirmed for me it was that particular lot of bullets was a problem.

Same lot of bullets in two different barrels and failures.

But the combination of the caliber, velocity I was running the bullets at, twist rate all makes a difference and can add to problems. Problems that we all normally take for granted shouldn't happen. We all think that bullet can take 50-60k pounds of chamber pressure, x amount of velocity, get heated up, travel at 2-3 times the speed of sound and stay together all the time.

Also bullets the copper alloy in the jacket will vary from lot to lot and this can also be a cause of copper fouling when at times some blame the barrel right away.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

I assume this is a lathe activity,, when your doing this work what supports the muzzle end of the barrel? I would assume that if your impacting 5 "hard" spots per revolution your going to end up with a harmonic in the rotating barrel Which could induce a small whip in the barrel, that might result in flex into the chuck?

Just curious I have NO idea if this could happen, I have used a lathe a fair bit but not for turning longer thing items like a barrel..

Just thinking the effect would be similar to chatter in the workpiece when a bit goes sour..

Cheers
Dave

Why would 5 lands cause a harmonic and not 6?

But I had a batch and was at a match and the bullets were failing/coming apart approx. 700 yards from the firing line. Had two bullets in a 20 round string for record come apart and not make it to the target .

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Had a similar experience with 22 cal. 75 gr. Amax pushing it 3650 through an 8 twist. They have a very thin jacket. The first 3 or 4 didn't hit the target then the next couple put multiple holes in a 100 yd target. Then it started shooting.

I never considered the bullet being the problem. I just wrote it off to a new/rough throat. Done several since and didn't have a problem.

Gene, I've never heard of anyone chambering without supporting the muzzle end but I will speculate that the implied logic or lack of it is 5 lands 6 flutes on the reamer induces push off. 6 lands/6 flutes makes "equal" pressure on the reamer.

I have personally spoke with Gordy and have seen this happen in his shop. He has tried everything even buying a new lathe to solve the problem. He was also contracted by a precision gun a maker to solve this issue in there factory. He has found that a carbide reamer will help the situation but a very small amount of chatter will be present. I watched him chamber a 5R and the reamer chattered he corrected it by speeding it up then wraping it in wax paper. We could measure about .0002 in reamer chatter. The reamer was HSS. Then chamber a standard land barrel with the same reamer and it was dead nuts no chatter. He said it happens on everyone he has done. Although he said that they will still shoot extremely well even with a little chatter. In the barrels i have chambered i have seen the same issues thats why i only use standard barrels. Gordy is an absolute genuis when it comes to building accurate rifles. Hope this this helps

5R barrels definitely will chatter (a small amount) with a standard HSS reamer. With that said, the ones I've built have all shot extremely well.

Excuse me. Probably my question is stupid but;
Can a reamer manufacturer make a 5 groove (flute)/ 5 land ( cutting edges ) reamer?

Last edited:
If a 5 flute reamer is used on a 5R barrel, reamer's cutting edges must contact barrel's lands at the same time and all 5 back forces self eliminated ???

Why would 5 lands cause a harmonic and not 6?

6 is a natural divisor of 360, 5 is not, 5 cylinder engines have a lot of issues with multi order harmonics due to the firing sequence, while a even fire 6 has very little trouble with it... I was assuming a 4 or 6 flute reamer, so was wondering if the shock waves in the steel are doing anything? Like I said Not a machinist.. i just fiddle a lot with mechanical stuff... Occasionally being bit on the tender parts when they quit violently.

Cheers
Dave