• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5R Long story. Need some insite please?

flynlow3

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2010
IL, EFFINGHAM
Ok like I said in the title this is a long story. I have a 5R mil spec that shoots really really well... Under 1/4 moa. I had a leupold mark 4 8.5-25x50mm ER/T with an EGW 0moa base. I recently purchased a Nightforce nxs 12-42x56. With the leupold, It was very hard to get down on the scope to see through it properly. I decided to upgrade and went with a 20 MOA Ken Farrell Base. This helped get the scope up a tad so now it is a perfect fit.

I have B.O. Max 50 rings ( Doesnt really matter) But here is the issue. I was able to shoot my gun prior to 300 yrds with my first setup.

With the 20 moa base and Nightforce scope, I can adjust for 100 yards but max out and can only hit the ground in front of the target at 300 yards.

I thought that going from a 0 moa base to a 20, I would be able to reach out further. I am out of adjustment and not even touching the target at 300 yrds.

I am shooting 175gr smk

My scope has .250 moa adjustments. It has 42 MOA elevation. Is this good or bad?

How can I be out of adjustment. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Re: 5R Long story. Need some insite please?

I think I posted this in the wrong spot, Needs to go up in optics? Can a mod help me?

With any combination of those scopes or bases 300 yards should be doable. That nightforce has 50 MOA of elevation adjustment. At 300 yards I the drop should be around 15 inches from 100 yards or about 5 MOA.

Did you mess with the windage? It may be pegged at one side or the other which could limit total vertical travel.

May want to start with a clean slate and center the erector. Count clicks from bottom to top and return to the halfway number. Do the same for windage that should put everything in center. Vertical travel is reduced as horizontal travel is increased.

If that works you should have half of your total elevation as specified by NF and the additional 20MOA of the base as a starting point.

I am dead on at 100 yrds. I put 5 bullets in the same hole. Just cant hit the broad side of a barn at 300. 2-3 mph wind and did not adjust vertical travel at all. It was extremely calm today as far as winds go and my cardboard was 6ft by 6ft at 300 yrds.

Were you aiming at the center of the cardboard? If so the shots should have definitely hit it.

I was aiming at the top at first, then the center. The only one that hit the cardboard was key holed and looked like a perfet bullet sideways. I think it hit the dirt and bounced up tubling when it went through.

What kind of load are you shooting?

42 gr of varget, 175 SMK BTHP, Winchester brass, COAL 2.805. CCI Primers.

I would start over. As stated above, make sure the base is on the right way. Then move the scope to mechanical center. Sight it in and see if you have enough adjustment.

That seem like a reasonable load. Did you shoot it at 100 yards after not being able to hit at 300? If it was still making 1 hole at 100 that would lessen the chance of the scope/mount being a problem. If the scope and mount checks out it might not be a bad idea to get some quality factory loads to rule out the load you have been using as a problem, after that I am not too sure.

It got to dark to shoot anymore so no, I did not shoot it anymore at 100 yrds.

The loads are hand loads but I was shooting them with my leupold at 300 yards and they shot amazing.

I had every one touching at 100 yrds for the three groups of 5 I shot. I know the gun will shoot 100 or 300 yrs with this bullet combo. I am wondering if I over shot and undershot the target and never got the happy medium. It was getting dark and we were rushing but I was extremely disappointed to fire 15 rounds down range and not hit a thing when I am used to precise little holes and tight groups.

I thought that maybe the nightforce just did not have the adjustment the Leupold did.

+1 on the factory loads, try some GMM and go over your entire mounting setup from one end to the other, I'd recenter the scope while you have it off as well. Basically, strip it down to the reciever and totally remount everything, shoot it with factory ammo and go from there.

Just to make sure I'm not confused, the problems started happening right after you put the Nightforce on? Did you shoot it at 100 and then at 300 with the Nightforce or did you put it on and go straight to 300?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flynlow3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was aiming at the top at first, then the center. The only one that hit the cardboard was key holed and looked like a perfet bullet sideways. I think it hit the dirt and bounced up tubling when it went through. </div></div>

I can't think of any way that you could accurately shoot at 100 then fire at 300 without adjusting the scope and be much lower than 15" with the load you described. Reminds me of shooting subsonics.

I'd try the factory ammo. Get yourself on at 100 then don't touch the scope and aim 15" high at 300 on a target centered on your oversized card board backdrop. If you don't see a hole I don't know what to tell you.

I put the NF on, Shot it at 100 yrds. It was 2 MOA low and 1/2moa L. I made the adjustments, Shot 3 more rounds and grouped them inside the bullseye. I moved to 300 yrds and adjusted for 12 moa UP. I aimed for the middle of the box. Three shots and nothing. I aimed at the top target and did not see anything hit it. Looking through the scope on high power, you can see if there are any holes in the target at 300 yrds. I noticed a tear so I road out to it. In the top right corner there was a sideways silhouette of a 175gr SMK BTHP outlined. I noticed there was speckled/ splatter of the mud on the box like the bullet had skipped off the ground prior to hitting the box.

My gun has had no issues of stabalizing this round out to 300 yrds in the past so to see a key hole that is in the exact shape of a sideways bullet has me puzzled unless it skipped off the ground.

My spotter said he could see a few hit in front of the box. I kept moving the adjustment up with no luck of reaching the box.

My plan
I am going to re-zero back @ 100 and work my way up slowly just to make sure i didnt skip up to quickly and go from under the box to over the box. I hope this is the case.

12 moa up at 300 yards? Thats your problem. It's way too much. The bullet drop should not be more than 5 moa.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flynlow3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put the NF on, Shot it at 100 yrds. It was 2 MOA low and 1/2moa L. I made the adjustments, Shot 3 more rounds and grouped them inside the bullseye. I moved to 300 yrds and adjusted for 12 moa UP.
</div></div>

12 moa up at 300 yards is 36 inches!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">12 moa up at 300 yards? Thats your problem. It's way too much. The bullet drop should not be more than 5 moa. </div></div>

+1

Well thank god I just look like a goof and nothing is seriously wrong I hope. I can suck up a little pride if I can get it back up and shooting! I may have worded that wrong. The guy who was spotting me said twelve so I moved twelve. We had two guys spottin/helping me and both were on opposite ends of the spec.

One is older and old school and the other has his iphone out taking ballistic dopes that was calulating for wind that was in town 10 miles from us.

I listened to the wrong one and hope I was just over shooting the target!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flynlow3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well thank god I just look like a goof and nothing is seriously wrong I hope. I can suck up a little pride if I can get it back up and shooting! I may have worded that wrong. The guy who was spotting me said twelve so I moved twelve. We had two guys spottin/helping me and both were on opposite ends of the spec.

One is older and old school and the other has his iphone out taking ballistic dopes that was calulating for wind that was in town 10 miles from us.

I listened to the wrong one and hope I was just over shooting the target! </div></div>

Good luck to ya!

Thanks...It is Def. a learning game! I just purchased the art of precision so hope that helps.

Good thing you didn't call NF customer service. I would call leupold thought just in case it requires a 12 MOA adjustment at 300y.

Flynlow3... You got my info still, call or PM me and I can give you some helpfull ideas... Hope the farrel base Is to your liking.

Jake.

Thanks Jake,

I was just in a hurry last night and just took orders on what to do. After posting and hearing from everyone, It all got figured out. Shot today at under 1/4 MOA out to 300 yrds.

I really like the base. It is much more robust compared to my old EGW I had on it.

Next on my list of things is to find out if I can strike the accuracy node for 44-45gr of varget with this bullet.

The extra 2 gr of powder really make a huge difference out at 300 yrds. Just wish They would group as tight as I can when loaded with 42gr.

I guess thats the fun in it! Hurry up and wait!

i run a 178 A-max over 43.6 of varget, jumping .008, lapua brass match primers through a 24" hart 10 twist with good luck. around 2630 fps, best i have done is 1" @ 300yds