• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5R only wants match, and NOTHING else.

5R_308

Private
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2008
Central Virginia
It seems my 5R is not like my buddies rifle, his shoots decent 200-300 yards groups (moa) with federal blue box soft points or core-loc stuff from walmart. Mine shoots 1/3 to 1/2 moa with Gold Medal,Black Hills match or handloads consistantly and all day long, But if i feed it anything that is not match grade(168 or 175 SMK) it's groups open up to anywhere from 2-3 moa. It seems to be a very picky rifle with a female attitude, does anyone else see this kind of thing from their rifle ?

Re: 5R only wants match, and NOTHING else.

A barrel can be picky about what is likes. If you are looking to shoot the cheap stuff try a box you may be SOL unless you reload. But don't give up trying, there are many more value priced options that what wally world has on the shelf. Shop around a bit.

Well, i really don't mind buying the good stuff, and my buddy does load me some nice handloads. When i shoot, i always shoot trying to improve my groups, so the cheap stuff is not really something i care much about using anyway, just found it to be odd and wondered if other folks saw this happen too.

My 5R is even picky about WHAT match ammo it likes. FGMM, Remmy Match and Prvi. Everything else is unacceptable. Working on finding a homebrew it likes best and then that's all she'll ever digest. Keep looking. or have it rechambered to something of specific throat length and case dimensions... Bob Loblah

still waiting to try the new Superformance offerings

So far the perfect home brew for mine has been 175gr. match king projectile loaded with 44gr. of Varget powder with 210m primer in match brass loaded to OAL of 2.800, produces under 1/2 moa results if i do my part.

Same as mine - laser with FGMM 168s, 175s or reloads (44.5Varget, FGMM brass, cci br2, 175smk or 165 accubond). funny that for the accubond or the smk 44.5 gives same results.
Rem core lokt...1.5 moa
My solution, dont shoot that stuff.

Brass has been either Federal GMM,Black Hills Match reloaded or Lapua, all have yielded about the same results.

For what it's worth, both out of my 700P and M1A, Federal 175 SMKs always group the best. I just can't go back to anything else.

(Don't handload yet, though.)

If I shoot the same load while only changing the brass the results will be grossly different in group size. My 5R is a finicky bitch as well. It likes only virgin Win brass and neck sized FGMM brass. I'm going to try full length resized Lapua next week. The shooter load in mine is FGMM brass neck sized with either 43.2 grains of 4064 or RL15 175SMK seated at 2.805. Both shoot identical to one another generally yielding .3s to high .5s. But they never clover and always shoot in the same hole or string from 10 oclock to 4 oclock.

don't forget guys that this rifle is basically chambered for the 175 match bullets.it was chambered for the m118lr.mine would'nt shoot the 155's unless i ran them way longer than magazine length and crammed them into the lands so i had it rechambered in the palma 95 reamer and it shoots .5 or better but now i'm having it re chambered again because i'm going back 175smk only.that's what this rifle is designed to shoot with the 1-11.25 twist barrel and all.

From 200yds to 500yds i basically see no difference in shooting the 168gr or the 175gr match kings, i get the same POI and pretty much same amount of drop. Im sure beyond the 500-600 yard mark i would see more of a difference.

Mine will also do the 168 amax at .5s regularly and I'm also going to try the Hornady 150 SSTs soon. I've heard the 5Rs wil shoot the 150 SSTs with no issue.

How are your guns when it comes to loading to the lands. Mine has a throat a mile long and 175 SMKs have to be loaded to 3.019 before they hit the lands. Freakin nuts.

I still have not measured and have no idea how far mine is jumping to the lands, i had spoke earlier about the perfect home brew for my gun, but actually if i knew this, it could possibly be better. We have tried different amounts of powder and brass etc. and found something that shoots the best in my guy and my friends Woods custom rifle, but if i knew how far off the lands i really was, there could still be room for improvement. I do believe his at 2.800 is actually touching the lands he told me.

That is one hell of a tight chamber...hence I doubt that is accurate. Possibly 2.900" is what he means.

It's possible, his gun (the guy that reloads for me)is a full blown custom with a Hart Barrel so i'm not 100% sure, but i have seen his gun do a 1.5" group at 500yds, something mine will not do, nor should it. I don't reload myself, so still learning about all this custom recipe stuff. I'm just happy mine will shoot below 1/2 moa when i do my part.

Try GA Arms match rounds. I have had some good luck with those, and a friends SPS tactical loves their 175 grain match rounds.

Lee.