• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5R or LTR

GIO

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2008
Omaha, NE USA
My local shop has a rem 700 5R SS and an Rem 700 LTR (20inch barrel, etc)for the same price (999). From what I here the 5R is a better rifle out of the box but a really dislike the HS stock and I am not crazy about SS guns. The LTR feels really comfortable but it doesn't seem to be as solid as the 5R.

I plan on taking a novice class at rifles only in feb. I only have access to a 600 yard range locally.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thank you for your time and thanks for a great forum

Re: 5R or LTR

That LTR price is high.

Both are excellent, and even the LTR would suit your needs well.

Get the 5r have it cut to 20" and paint it. Put it in another stock. Problem solved.

recently got an LTR, thought about the 5R, but I wanted the more compact gun and I liked the stock (HS as well) on the LTR

if you like the overall package of the LTR better then I think you would be thrilled with it.. most reports are they are tack drivers. I know mine is

I really doubt the 5r is going to out shoot the LTR when cut down to 20", I may be wrong

If you are wanting to shoot 1000 yards competively and often, I would get the 5R and leave as is until you can justify replacing the stock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AI Freak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the 5r have it cut to 20" and paint it. Put it in another stock. Problem solved. </div></div>

why??????If you take this route why not just buy the LTR, you nor him nor i, will be able to shoot to the mechanical accuracy of either gun for a while. Thats alot of extra money poured into something that isnt going to be much better than the other. The LTR price is high, but if you want light and handy go with the LTR

What trigger is in the LTR? I have a new 5R that shoots great but if it had a different trigger than the X-Mark I would probably be even happier.

Simple - buy my 5R in the classified section!
smile.gif

Sorry, too easy...

5R...and I say this owning an LTR.

or you could buy a savage and have multiple calibers for your entertainment and use with just barrel costs:D

I vote for the 5R as I have one and it shoots great and feels handy to me. I like the HS stock but mine has been subdued with duracoat in a Rhodesian pattern and not shiny at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AI Freak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the 5r have it cut to 20" and paint it. Put it in another stock. Problem solved. </div></div>

why??????If you take this route why not just buy the LTR[...] The LTR price is high, but if you want light and handy go with the LTR </div></div>

Maybe because you would have a stainless steel action and barrel, plus a faster twist at no extra cost (in this case, anyway).

Don't like the colour? Krylon. I think the benefits of SS out weigh the 5$ for a can of paint.

I'll add that cutting and crowning a barrel is not that expensive, either.

As for weight- What is really saved? Maybe a pound? The stock is .5lbs less then the 5R's. The flutes might shave another .5 off?

Hands down 5r.....I own a 5r and my buddy had 2 LTR's. the 5r out shoots the LTR all day. Here is a pic of mine. I cerakoted the metal myself and added 2 lbs of weight to the stock. Manners stock coming in the mail for it....

[img:left]
026.jpg
[/img] ]

One more thing I forgot to mention.....After you buy the 5R...get 175 sierra HPBT's loaded to 2.800 and 43 to 44.5 of Varget. And shoot the hell out of it.....Mine likes 43.5 of Varget.

Buy the 5R, work the trigger, and sell the stock for $200 here on the Hide, then buy a B&C A5 clone stock for $250, and you will have a gun that shoots and handles as well as most $2500+ customs.

Paint it with some Krylon if you don't like the SS look.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Denn1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh sure...now I read this thread AFTER I buy my LTR...LOL. I originally went back and forth with this very question.</div></div>

haha of course this happens right? don't be too bummed the LTR is a good rifle. with that said as with the others so far i would probably go with the 5R, but i wouldn't want to live on the difference between them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TURN IT LOOSE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hands down 5r.....I own a 5r and my buddy had 2 LTR's. the 5r out shoots the LTR all day. Here is a pic of mine. I cerakoted the metal myself and added 2 lbs of weight to the stock. Manners stock coming in the mail for it....

026.jpg
[/img] ]

</div></div>
Does this stock have the palm swell?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: merc308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TURN IT LOOSE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hands down 5r.....I own a 5r and my buddy had 2 LTR's. the 5r out shoots the LTR all day. Here is a pic of mine. I cerakoted the metal myself and added 2 lbs of weight to the stock. Manners stock coming in the mail for it....

026.jpg
[/img] ]

</div></div>
Does this stock have the palm swell? </div></div>

Yes sir, it does. They say it is slighly larger then the one on the 700p.....It might be a tad but not much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wrighty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Denn1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh sure...now I read this thread AFTER I buy my LTR...LOL. I originally went back and forth with this very question.</div></div>

haha of course this happens right? don't be too bummed the LTR is a good rifle. with that said as with the others so far i would probably go with the 5R, but i wouldn't want to live on the difference between them. </div></div>

+1 for this. I still say not matter what rifle you buy......you EITHER GET A GOOD ONE OR A BAD ONE.....And that even depends on what you think is good or bad. I have never seen a horriable remington though....you can get most to shoot once you find out what the like to eat.

Stay away from the 5-R they are ugly and shoot like crap... just look at mine:
2723160207_medium.jpg
2723160213_medium.jpg

2723160208_large.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stay away from the 5-R they are ugly and shoot like crap... just look at mine:
</div></div>

Go 5R my LTR is Fugly and shoots like crap too
wink.gif

4467517770_581a98f095_b.jpg

1st outing with handloads .242" 3-shot 100 yard zero then moved to 200yd

4509004921_b03087a41c.jpg

27 shot 200 yard smiley face
4509641244_b18a57dab6.jpg

Fair price for the 5R ..............little high for the LTR

I went with the 5R after looking at both . Not because I felt it would shoot better but because I liked the look alittle more than the LTR. Both are fine rifles and as stated before will out shoot most people . Either one will be fine .

Nice stick pinmaster! But a 3-shot group? I thought those were illegal here!?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice stick pinmaster! But a 3-shot group? I thought those were illegal here!? </div></div>

TURE LOL, but I only had 30 rounds and shot the 3 just to check my zero then went to the 200yard work. 27 shot group.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIGTWO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...The 5r's is easy to clean...</div></div>
Clean? What is that?