• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

5R Rifling

downlow

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2012
MN
Do you guys find the 5R rifling cleans up easier than the standard lands?

I've heard that is one of the reasons for it. 2 of my shooting buddies have it, and say they haven't noticed any difference. One of them says his fouls worse than standard cut rifling.

And what, exactly, is the benefit(s) of 5R rifling?

they haven't noticed any difference. One of them says his fouls worse than standard cut rifling.

Sounds about right.

They are said to clean easier, as the brush/patch doesn't need to get into a the tiny 90° corner that exists in a conventionally rifled bore where the land meets the groove.

I've never known the difference.

I've also heard 5R is a bit gentler on bullet jackets, because it's not forced into such a tight corner (same concept as above), a possible advantage for very high speed varmint bullets.

Dunno if its true.

I wouldn't wait any extra to get a 5R.

In the following pic you can see the difference between 5R and 6-groove "standard" rifling:

5Rvs6groove_Rifling_zpsada1d97f.jpg

I have several rifles with 5R rifling, a couple with 6 grooves, and one with 3 grooves. The 5R may be a tick easier to clean for the reasons mentioned above by turbo54, but it's not a huge difference. The other reason it's supposed to be easier on jackets is because the lands are not 180 degrees opposite one another within the bore, in theory "squeezing" or "compressing" the bullet less from directly opposite sides. I've never had any issues with the non-5R barrels messing up jackets, so I really can't say I've noticed anything special about the 5Rs in this regard, either. I can say they shoot very, very well.

Gents,

Back when Boots Obermeyer and I were discussing the 5R and "R" barrels in general he settled on the "5" lands and grooves as it offered excellent bullet support, cleaned easily, and was, in his opinion, the best option for the Russian style rifling. He tested up to 12R, but noted no differences, other than they were harder to manufacture. Hence, he settled on 5R.
Now, EVERYONE makes a 5R, but his was an original. I shoot his barrel on my M40A1 clone and have a spare in the safe in case I shoot this one out.
John Krieger is LICENSED to produce his exact style of rifling and his tubes are very good, indeed.
I once asked Boot's that if I couldn't get his barrels who he recommended. Without reservation he said, John Krieger's...that's good enough for me. I now use Krieger tubes to my satisfaction.

Just an anecdote from the past.

Wes

5R does absolutely nothing for you if its not a well made barrel...Ill leave examples out. Quality does more for accuracy than the profile or number of lands and grooves. I have a 2 groove barrel that shoots the lights out, because its made well.

I dont think it matters. Any good rifle barrel that has been lapped very well is going to be easy enough to clean.

5R is one of those things that has good science behind it, but one of those things that we would find hard to actually quantify and put a number down on paper.

A good barrel is a good barrel. My priority is going to be for the barrel I can get when I need it; rifling style be damned.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk