• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6-06

BrentMac

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2018
Are any of you guys running a 6-06? I fully understand the barrel life stuff, but I’m looking at a haul ass 105 Berger. Thoughts and criticisms are welcome. I like shooting p-dogs and coyotes at distance here in Montana.

Why not the 6.5-06? It's a little bit easier to form brass from a 25-06. Plus there a lot of prefit barrels out there ready to go depending on your rifle your using. Just a thought

A gunsmith here in NE TN named George Harrell back in the 80s was a HUGE 6-06 guy and was known for making rifles in that caliber, I shot a 25/06 back then and used to get taken on groundhog hunts with his crew when I was a young un. He used probably 75gr or lighter bullets at what had to have been a ridiculous fps and I vividly remember being a kid watching groundhogs on dairy farms literally evaporate through the spotting scope when he hit them. That caliber is brutal on varmints (as well as barrels lol).

I think if I was going to do something like that, I’d neck a Lapua 6.5-284 case to 6mm. Not a new idea, but very simple.