• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 6-24x50 SFP Scope Options

2brothers641

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 21, 2008
IA, USA
Looking for a new scope for a 6.5 CM build. Will be used for 100-600 yd paper shooting. Mostly know distances. Budget of around $1000
Looking for:
20-24 max power
SFP (never went FFF, but not really liking the idea of thick reticle on max power)
30mm tube
70+elevation travel
matching reticle and turrets, moa/moa or mil/mil
Target Knobs, Side focus
Some type of modified mildot

So far I came up with:
Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24
Vortex Viper PST 6-24
Sightron SIII 6-24

Am I missing any? If these are the three best, anyone with experience car to comment on the better of the three. Thanks

Re: 6-24x50 SFP Scope Options

Of the ones you mentioned, I have the viper pst. Great scope for the money. Have not had one problem with mine. It tracks well, the knobs are tight, and it has great clarity. I don't know about the other scopes mentioned, but I give thumbs up to the vv pst.

A friend of mine just bought a Sightron SIII giving me the chance to look through one. I was pretty impressed.

In particular I thought the glass clarity was very good. Clicks on the turrets were solid and audible. I am considering getting one for myself.

Call Scott at Liberty Optics. He is very helpful.

The Sightron has some impressive specs but also lacks some too. From the reviews I've read, the Sightron has easily the best glass of the three, most elevation travel (100 moa), but doesn't have zero stop, illumination, or a decent reticle in the mil/mil. Does Bushnell or Sightron have anywhere close to the warranty as the Vortex?

I'm a PST owner and love it. Bought mine used and it was damaged in shipment. I called Vortex and they said without question "send it in we will fix or replace it". Sent it in and 7 days latter a brand new one on my porch.
Now with that being said my shooting buddy has the Sightron and it has just great glass as well! I think at what your looking at it comes down to the features and what your looking for? For me the PST fit like a glove!!
After the sale? I always want to know is the company going to back their product? Vortex did every thing I could ask for!!!

I have an 8-32 SIII, their customer service was absolutely incredible when I had to use it, they paid to 2nd day air my scope to them and back because I had a match to shoot.

To me, the glass will be the best, I love the turrets, I have the moa/moa and love the reticle too.

Really though, any of these 3 are great, and I've never had a problem with Bushnell's customer service either.

I have a PST....best friend has the SIII....the SIII is 100% better, hands down. I have no use for a zero stop or illumination (battery is even out of the scope)....and I honestly regret NOT getting the sightron... Most likely, I'll be selling my PST to fund an SIII very soon

2brothers,
I'm shooting a 6.5CM topped with a PST 6-24X50 SFP and the combo works very well. If your interested in more info shoot me a PM.

Just bought a PST and if you want a SFP PST they are even cheaper... (I think like $750) so you have plenty of dough left over to get some bad ass rings to go with it... I have a weaver 3-15 and it is very clear but I do not like the EMD Reticle that they came out with, so after looking long and hard I chose the FFP VV PST!!

I think it is more about personal preference than anything...

Get to a place where you can see them all side by side and there will be very little difference... But the features sold me on the PST!!!

Good Luck!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a PST....best friend has the SIII....the SIII is 100% better, hands down. I have no use for a zero stop or illumination (battery is even out of the scope)....and I honestly regret NOT getting the sightron... Most likely, I'll be selling my PST to fund an SIII very soon </div></div>

I would like to know more. What makes the Sightron that much better?

I compared the two side by side and found the Sightron has better glass and eyebox especially above 20X. More adjustment too. The Sightron mil/mil version only has the plain mildots so it's outdated compared to Vortex's EBR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2brothers641</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to know more. What makes the Sightron that much better?</div></div>

PST over Sightron:
1.Turrets are friggin awesome...the clicks are loud and precise and the shield blocking all but the line you're on is something i wish more scopes had
2. Illumination, if you need it...I don't...ever, so i took the battery out
3. reticle is much nicer for mil (i only run MOA...so it's a toss up really)
4. I like the fact that there are detents where you can use the reticle for ranging...but I don't like that the range multiplier faces the shooter instead of the magnification, it should be reversed.

Sightron is better:
1. optics...every aspect. clarity, color, contrast, eye relief..sightron looks every bit as good/better than all of the nightforce, mk4, pst, and other mid-priced scopes i've gotten to look through.

over all...for my needs, the sightron is the better scope. I generally shoot my rifle from the bench.... When i do get to shoot longer ranges (only 200yds at the range) then i'm shooting prone and during the day...

i own the bushnell (first "nice" glass i bought) and the pst. The pst is hands down 110% the scope the bushnell ever thought about being. i cant say enough good things about the pst. Dont get me wrong up to 18x on the bushnell its crisp but after that its clarity diminishes rapidly. Also the pst has matching turrets, zero stop, and a much better warrenty dept should u ever need to get it serviced/ replaced ( had a run in w/bushnell 2 times) I have a friend/mentor whos word i trust (he also has a pst in the sfp config) and he says the clarity on the siii is leaps and bounds better than the pst. sorry so long.

Thanks for the info. Seems to be a tougher decision than I thought. I have narrowed it down to the PST and the SIII. The PST is cheaper and has more options, although I don't think I really need illumination or zero stop. The glass on the SIII really has me curious. I have heard the turrets are great also.