• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6.5/06

Foul Mike

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2001
Eastern Colorado
I just got a rifle chambered in 6.5/06 built. It is a cheapo build using a Rem. 700 LA and a Magpul Hunter stock. Looks good and feels good. Nice job by my Smith.
I realize it is hard to come up with something better than a 6.5 Creedmore but thought I would give it a try. Spending my kids inheritance on an oddball idea I have.
Have any of you tried this and if so how did it come out?
Any input you can give as to what powder and bullet would be appreciated.
I am using Hornady 140 ELDM in my Creedmore with good results and plan to start off with that. I have various powders around the bench, just wondering if anyone has experience with this and how did it go?
Regards, Foul Mike
PS 26" Shilen barrel 1in8 twist

Last edited:
My buddy built one a while back. He tinkered around with a couple different bullets. I don't know all the details off the top of my head but I think he was messing around with IMR7828ssc and H1000 in Lapua brass. I'm pretty sure he's shooting a 30 inch 8 twist bartlein. I think we worked up some 100gr. nosler or lapua bullets at 3600fps plus for groundhogs.

I would imagine 4831sc or 7828 would be a good place to start. Either of those powders are nice because they are very versitile for multiple platforms.

I have been shooting this for several years, on my second barrel. It's my 1000 yard match gun. Using IMR 4350 and Serria 142 bullets. Depending on your chamber I would start at 48.5 grains and work up to 51 grains.

I had one a couple yrs ago, kinda had a self made bullet crunch going on, and had switched bullets so many times, I never gave it the chance it deserved, ended up dumping it. But RL25 & 26 powders worked real well, both for accuracy and speed.

Gentlemen, Thank you for your input.
I have all of the powders mentioned except for the RLs. so I will give them a run. Thanks z2013, gives me a place to start, I will go there where you have walked before.
Anybody else have any ideas and/or pet loads?
Regards, Foul Mike