• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 6.5/.264 solid bullet for hunting

ssteve

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2011
CA is outlawing hunting with lead of any kind by the end of 2019 I believe and already has started implementing it in certain areas. I am wondering if anyone has had any luck with a solid copper bullet for hunting in a 6.5 creedmoor? I know people have had a lot of luck with the Barnes TSX in certain calibers but I have yet to see much about them in a 6.5cm.

Reactions: Apnea
I can't help you w the CM but i have used the Barnes TSX and TTSX for years. Push it fast or aim for the shoulder and you will report good terminal performance. Also has always been one of my most accurate loads, highly recommend it !!

I have been using factory Barnes LRX ammo in my 6.5 and have been very impressed so far. Very good accuracy in my gun, but have only shot 1 medium size pig, performance was excellent.

Maybe look for 6.5 Grendle info.

The Barnes bullets seem to expand over a wide velocity range. Sending it faster from a Creedmoor probably won't cause any problems.

The solids are less dense than a lead bullet so you'll probably have to settle for something closer to 120 grain than 140 grain but they should be moving fast.

I would go with the TTSX or Hammer Bullets, they love speed , the more velocity at impact the better. Don't be afraid to drop down in weight, they'll still work great. I would stay away from the Nosler E-tips, I've personally witnessed incredibly poor performance on deer sized game.

Myself and my buddy use 127gr Barnes Lrx in our Creedmoors and Cutting Edge 130gr Mth in our Saums. We both use Rl16 with the 127 Lrx's and the results have been impressive. I've tried all the others except the Hammers and gc bullets and the Barnes Lrx have been the easiest to work with.

Awesome, great info guys, thank you. I have a lot of varget and H4350 so I should be able to dial something in I hope.

The Barnes should be easy to tune. The more jump the better. I also use the 175gr Lrx in my 308 and used the 175, 190, and 200gr Lrx's in my 300wm when I had it. Imo, the 127's really shine with RL16 so I wouldn't overlook picking some up.

use a ballistic calculator and find the distance where you hit about 1900fps that should be your limit, below that velocity they don't open as well and tend to pencil.

Hornady makes the .264" 120gr GMX. I know they make it, but that's all I know about it.

Greg

Been using 120s in my 260 for very accurate..As stated above more speed the better ...or pick on a shoulder....behind the shoulder sometimes a small exit...in the shoulder probably going thru the other shoulder at reasonable range.

My 6.5 SLR shoots the 127 LRX @ 3070fps and my 14 year old daughter dumped a big miley buck at 637 yards with it 2 years ago. They shoot great. She put down a .6" 5 shot group at 200 yards with them.

Reactions: dmuffman80 and BCX
I shoot the 127 LRX in my Proof Elevation 6.5 CM and they shoot great. I push them at 2830 fps with 41.3 grains of H-4350 and it consistently shoots sub- 1/2 MOA in my rifle. So far I have taken two cow elk in Colorado with this load at 289 yards and 305 yards with great performance. First one dropped like a sack of potatoes (Neck shot) and the second one went 30 yards after a double-lung shot. I limit my shots to 600 yards with that load due to wind drift and approaching velocities where expansion might not be reliable.

I've seen some impressive terminal performance from DRT ammo in both 6.5 Creedmoor and .223. After seeing first hand what their 55gr .223 rounds do to coyotes, I would have sworn they were hit with a .308. They're out of stock now, but I'd keep checking for their 147gr loaded 6.5 Creedmoor ammo, or as projectiles if you reload.

Hammer bullets not only perform well on game, they are stupid easy to load.

I shoot the 124g Hammer Hunter out of my 6.5 Creed at 2900 (20" barrel).

CB7AC1F1-2753-4591-9291-8F3409EC6B92.png

Reactions: BCX
Jump to 18:40 or so.... my brother dumps a Caribou at 276 yards with a 127 barnes LRX out of a 6.5 PRC.
Pretty effective.

Last edited:
CA is outlawing hunting with lead of any kind by the end of 2019 I believe and already has started implementing it in certain areas. I am wondering if anyone has had any luck with a solid copper bullet for hunting in a 6.5 creedmoor? I know people have had a lot of luck with the Barnes TSX in certain calibers but I have yet to see much about them in a 6.5cm.
Nosler E-Tip