• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

6.5 & 7 SAUM at 2k

Gilly

On Target
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2009
Coloarado
Finally made time to get out and put some ELR rounds down range with my 6.5 saum and my buddy had his 7 saum. I only had 50 rounds down range of load development and some dope gathering prior to today using 150 smk. Started at 6:30 this morning to try and be ahead of the wind but it was blowing already when we got to the range. Started out at 1350 and wasn’t looking promising with some tricky winds but we got elevation worked out and 7 saum shot well, I wasn’t feeling good about 6.5 at this point with not a real in depth load development yet I was questioning it.

Moved to the next target 1580 yards and both of us were on in a couple rounds with minor adjustments and landed 4-5 rounds each both with 8-10 inch groups. Forgot to take pictures but I was liking what I saw with my load on this target.

Feeling good about how we were shooting at this point we relocated to the next shooting position for the 1580 Target which increases the range to 2010 yards. To date only my 300 Norma and his 338 lapua had connected at this range.

We had a 6000 DA and 12-14 mph wind. We got the 7 saum on after a couple rounds to get wind call on and ended up at nearly 4 mil wind using the 180 eldm and then he put the next 3 on the plate no problem. I was next up with 6.5 saum, I dialed 20.6 mil up and 3.5 wind based on AB. I sent the first couple high and ended up with impact at 20.0 elevation and 3.0 wind which was in a bit of a lull at that point. 12 instead of 14. 2 mph is a big deal at that range with lighter bullets. We went down range which at that distance takes some time so we limited trips but we were very impressed with the results.

6.5 saum 3 rounds 11 inches
7 saum 3 rounds 12 inches

After that we went back for round two and landed more rounds with both rifles. Didn’t keep track exactly but hit % was over 50% on both rifles higher for the 7 saum. I’d say the 180 eldm has the advantage of consistency in the wind once dialed in but the 150 smk was flatter by almost a mil and less wind dialed both times.

Pics of our first trip to target each rifle had 3 impacts at that point.
8ED04E05-CC86-45DA-A180-B44B2CF699D8.jpeg
76AED870-0DCB-4733-9E29-1F484FBFAEC3.jpeg

What was the twist rate on the 6.5 and velocity with the 150 SMK?

My 6.5 Saum did surprisingly well at a mile with 140 hybrids at 3175 fps. We were peppering the steel but couldn't see impacts or hear the hits. Big mistake on our part painting the steel black.

Nice shooting. What’s the details on the rifles/load data. Are the pictures oriented correctly?

Yes you can see the dirt below steel on first picture both are correct.

Both are AIMC rifles my 6.5 is a barrel mile high did 8 twist bartlien 26 inches running a ultra 9 can. 7 saum was chambered by SAC 26 inch barrel don’t know twist off the top of my head.

What was the twist rate on the 6.5 and velocity with the 150 SMK?

My 6.5 Saum did surprisingly well at a mile with 140 hybrids at 3175 fps. We were peppering the steel but couldn't see impacts or hear the hits. Big mistake on our part painting the steel black.

26 inch 8 twist bartlien. Original ladder had this load at 3000 on new barrel but I suspect it has sped up or is in the process as velocity calibration is 3060 on AB

Reactions: steve123
The 7 saum is a K&P, 1-8, 4 groove, 26” barrel chambered by SAC with a throat for 180’s out of a long action. I’m running 180 eldm’s @ 2990. This load is on the warm side but doesn’t seem to hard on the Norma brass.

That’s nice to see the ELDs are holding up for you in your 8 twist. I really wanted them to work for me but sadly they didn’t.

What powder in the 7SAUM? I'm running a 28" 8.75t and mine sees pressure with several powders at 2975. Not to mention shoots like crap.

What powder in the 7SAUM? I'm running a 28" 8.75t and mine sees pressure with several powders at 2975. Not to mention shoots like crap.

Running 65 some grains of h1000. Its a warm load but from early testing if I didn’t push it the accuracy wasn’t the greatest. Other than different seating depth it’s the exact same load I ran in another 7 saum I had.

I'm currently running 60.5 grs of H4831sc with a 184 Berger and 28" 1-7 Bartlein. Mv is around 2920 at 200' elevation. Accuracy at 300 yards is excellent and will be shooting 1 mile with this load on Friday.