• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 AR 10 not feeding

shootertom

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2013
Here are the spec's

Proof 20" cam gas
SLR rifleworks Ti adjustable gas block
JP LMOS carrier
JP SCS - Heavy

Loads are 38.5 gr varget and 130 Sierra Game changers.

The rifle will barely cycle enough to pick up the next round and fails to lock back. So its running on the edge of not picking up the next round. The irony is this gun is a duplicate of one I have already built that runs much better.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

How many rounds on the rifle/upper/BCG?
What adjustments did you make to the gas block?
Have you shot factory ammo through it, if so, how did it do?

Ive ran about 200 through it so far. I have ran factory 143 eldx as well as my hand loads.

I started the gas block on not pressure and continued to add gas. It always gains some function but never gets enough.

I have also tried a full mass carrier with no luck.

I am leaning towards needing to open up the gas port.

Have spoken with JP and they noted that the Proof barrels come with ports that are usually on the small side.

I am reaching out to proof research tomorrow.

Are you sure you installed the gas block perfectly? I’ve had this and the holes weren’t perfectly aligned. Re aligned them and it solved all my problems.

Are you sure you installed the gas block perfectly? I’ve had this and the holes weren’t perfectly aligned. Re aligned them and it solved all my problems.
Yes sir, I double triple checked with a bore scope.

If you’re running your SCS heavy then lighten it up

Reactions: rpoL98
If you’re running your SCS heavy then lighten it up
Are you referring to the buffer weights or the spring weight? I did get the spring set form JP and tested all three weights; they all provided the same results.

I have not tried changing the weights themselves.

Either but I’d try lighter weights with the lightest spring, the same amount of gas with less buffer weight should get the results you’re after unless the gas port is just that small. Makes sense in my head at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: rpoL98
I did speak with Proof Research today and they are eager to help so hopefully they can get me on the right track.

At this point I am looking at the gas port as being too small.

Just a quick update for folks that might be interested.

I measured the gas port and it was within Proof's specs.

On a good note, JP Rifles sent me a new Gas Ring for the bolt that measured .005" larger diameter. This allows less gas to escape around the gas ring. It actually worked amazing. I tested factory and hand loads and they both locked the bolt back and cycled well when feeding the next round from the magazine.

Hopefully this will be helpful to some folks.

Reactions: mtrmn
Just a quick update for folks that might be interested.

I measured the gas port and it was within Proof's specs.

On a good note, JP Rifles sent me a new Gas Ring for the bolt that measured .005" larger diameter. This allows less gas to escape around the gas ring. It actually worked amazing. I tested factory and hand loads and they both locked the bolt back and cycled well when feeding the next round from the magazine.

Hopefully this will be helpful to some folks.

I was just going to tell you to swap the JP Has Ring, I've swaped all mine out with Sprinco Gas rings.